cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help. 84 fleetwood southwind brakes

Travelingfam
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought an 84 fleetwood southwind 23' motorhome. The previous owners told us that it was going to need a new master cylinder. My husband has does this before on other vehicles so we thought it would be no big deal. When he got under there it seemed to be leaking where it meets what we are now realizing to be a hydro booster. The booster has a small chip in it so we are thinking that it needs replaced instead. We couldn't find the parts identification sticker and the parts store said that it could be a JB8 or JD7. We still aren't 100% sure which one is ours but we ordered the JB8. Then we started reading up on replacing the part and it seemed way out of our league. I tried to decode our VIN 1GBJP37W4E3340208 per the title which just made me even more unsure. Does anyone know if I got the right part and if this is even going to be a project I can do in the parking lot? I just bought it and haven't even been able to drive it home yet.

I also read in the vehicle that we have air coil something or other that should be kept at 50 psi. Where do I check and fill that system?

Thank you from a family at its wits end
14 REPLIES 14

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Slide down to light trucks. Look at VIN information from GMGM vin

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You may want to tell GM and many suppliers that there is no P-37 chassis.
P-37

Sure. Show me a genuine GM catalog that lists a P37.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may want to tell GM and many suppliers that there is no P-37 chassis.
P-37

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Chev has always made a P-37 3 stands for 1 ton 7 stands for MH stripped chassis.
P-37 info

While the VIN coding does indeed give the specs for the chassis, I reiterate, Chevy never made a P37 chassis. If you want to split hairs, the chassis you reference is actually a P32 stripped RV chassis. A P30 is actually a commercial chassis, mistakenly referred to as an RV chassis. Most RVers have never had the chance to reference Chevy's parts manuals and see the difference.
And you did not tell the whole story as told by "Gary RV Roamer".
I quote the rest of Gary's comments.
"You may see "P37" sequence in the VIN, but that does not mean it is a P37 chassis. Those are just how the code numbers in the VIN sometimes work out. A "P37" can be either a P30 or a p12 chassis"

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Travelingfam wrote:
We got the new master cylinder on and the brakes bled and it is working much better now. I found the air valves for the suspension as well. We still have several op stacked to overcome with this thing though. The generator needs a tune up and coil, neither air conditioners work, the turn signals just broke in the steering column, and the muffler is shredded. Not to mention there are no seat belts, they removed the lp, stove and fridge but put in a small electric fridge and much more. We are having buyers remorse.

The MC was bad on my '84 P30 when I got it - I assumed from sitting for so long. It made a HUGE difference when I replaced it. My '84 doesn't have any seat belts either - just in the cab.

No offense, but the stuff you mention is easily visible or easy to check before you buy. Remorse could have been avoided. But it's water under the bridge. Hopefully you can make the best of it with the help in this forum.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Travelingfam
Explorer
Explorer
We got the new master cylinder on and the brakes bled and it is working much better now. I found the air valves for the suspension as well. We still have several op stacked to overcome with this thing though. The generator needs a tune up and coil, neither air conditioners work, the turn signals just broke in the steering column, and the muffler is shredded. Not to mention there are no seat belts, they removed the lp, stove and fridge but put in a small electric fridge and much more. We are having buyers remorse.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
The air bags in the coil springs may just have the Schrader valve out the bottom of the "A" arm like mine did til I had to replace them. Then I added the air lines to the front of the MH under the hood.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Chev has always made a P-37 3 stands for 1 ton 7 stands for MH stripped chassis.
P-37 info

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Here ya go, Rock Auto brake parts, listed for a P30 chassis. Chevy never made a P37 chassis.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
The air coil probably refers to the air bags inside the front coil springs
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Travelingfam
Explorer
Explorer
It is leaking brake fluid so we returned the booster and we are replacing the master cylinder. Thank you to everyone and I will keep you updated.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Chassis is a 1984 Chev P37 GVW is 10,001-14000
You would need to do a VIN number search to get the correct brake option code.
O" Reilly's shows two completely different style master cylinders.
O"reillys
O'Reilly's shows there is two types of brake booster. Most common for heavy GVW is the hydro boost.
Brake booster
You maybe able to get better idea by looking at photos.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
What is it leaking?
brake fluid or fluid from power steering unit?
hydro boosts were usually supplied pressure from power steering pump.
if losing brake fluid you need master cylinder.
If need hydro unit they are not hard to change ,unhook hoses remove master cylinder rod that actuates hydro unit.when installing check rod length that enters master cylinder.
To get correct part check casting number,this should help get proper part.
Check with NAPA or brake parts store.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis is your RV, a Chevy? For info try contacting Geoffrey Rosenburg at Alretta Truck Parts #508-788-9409. He is an expert at older RV brake systems. What about the repair is giving you worries? It isn't much different than doing one on a passenger car. Not sure what you mean by the air coil. Your RV might have air bags in the front springs. Look at them and see. If you have them the air lines are sometimes routed into the front access area. You should see an air line with a Schrader valve on either side. Good luck with your repairs.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO