cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

propane fridge on when traveling

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Ok just thought I would ask, " If you are driving how many of you run your fridge on propane? Some other thread hit on this as a safety issue just wondering what the masses are doing. I do realize some of you modern guys are all electric, and if its to uncomfortable inside we run the genny for more ac cooling thus not on propane! But do you see a problem just running on propane?

NO I don't, but shut it off when refueling!
70 REPLIES 70

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
liborko wrote:
NEVER ON PROPANE. Seen too many RV fires.

Where did you see a fire caused by a "modern" fifth wheel fueling at a gas station "that was caused" by the fridge on propane??? Please, where?

-Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
We should differentiate the motorhomes from the trailers. When I'm refueling my fridge is 20 foot or better from the pumps so no need to turn off.
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Only time mine is off is when refuelling - I don't want the liability if something should happen.....
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
Always on, on auto. Isn't that one reason we RV to begin with?

Mike_I
Explorer
Explorer
Of course. That is what they are designed for

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
We run on propane and do shut off for refueling "just in case". If you have the "auto" feature it will run off electric when the genny is running. As far as safety goes...you'll hear both sides of the coin. But most folks we know run off propane. The one thing you might find is an issue--If you have a strong side wind (on the vent side of the unit) sometimes it is difficult to keep the unit going. In those cases we just shut it off. It will stay cold for several hours off but it depends on how long your travel day is...4-6 hours no problem but 10-12 hours off and it will take a while to come back down in temp.

You might have to eat up a bucket of ice cream really fast...durn the luck!:W
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
Always on propane when traveling. Never had an issue.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
Why do so many feel they need to run the fridge on propane when moving? What's wrong with 12v today? (don't compare to decades ago) Everyone I know has TT's right now, and not Class A's, but if our TT's can run the fridge on 12v when traveling, I don't see any reason why any Class A unit could not.

Not many RV refrigerators run the cooling system on 12v. They use 12v control circuits, and 12v power opens the LP valve. The electrical heating circuit is generally 120v.

I run with my fridge on. If it's really hot outside and I run the generator to power the AC, the fridge is on 120v. If I'm not running the genny, the fridge is on propane.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Why do so many feel they need to run the fridge on propane when moving? What's wrong with 12v today? (don't compare to decades ago) Everyone I know has TT's right now, and not Class A's, but if our TT's can run the fridge on 12v when traveling, I don't see any reason why any Class A unit could not.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to miss this subject over 6 years.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
mikeh449 wrote:
always on propane

Yes, that's what it's for.
2014 American Eagle

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
On all the time. Usually on propane, but if the inverter happens to be on it switches over to that. If I understand how they work, the units are probably safer and more efficient running being jostled around than sitting still.

I also agree with those that said if it isn't safe to have running while driving, I don't want to be sleeping with it running!

Jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Dick_B wrote:
Bill of Bills RV in Ventura, CA does not recommend having the fridge on when traveling. As I remember if the pipes clog and the flame is on there can be trouble. He recommends staying out of the refer to avoid spilling the cold air out.
Mine is off unless it's 95 degrees outside and we are traveling over four hours or so. Me Wife puts in cold packs just in case.

IF Bill actually said this AND believes it, he has NO business working on RV systems. He has shown extreme ignorance on a basic part of the refer and operation. IF driving with the refer on LP (I only have about 35 years of seeing this as a professional), there would be stories all over because there are MILLIONS of RV refers on the road every year. I have NEVER heard or seen reports of a fire caused while in transit. NOT even at a Gasoline station, where they proved the refer was a cause of any such fire.
THEY ARE DESIGNED TO OPERATE IN TRANSIT AND THERE IS NO REASON TO NOT DO SO. Now, some areas you MUST turn the LP systems OFF to go thru Tunnels and such. Doug

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Bill of Bills RV in Ventura, CA does not recommend having the fridge on when traveling. As I remember if the pipes clog and the flame is on there can be trouble.
:h

What "pipes"? Certainly he couldn't mean the propane "pipes", since if those clogged the flame would go out. If he meant the fridge coolant tubes, they're much less likely to clog when the rig's in motion. And even if they do clog, the outcome would just be loss of cooling.

I think Ol' Bill the Dealer was givin' you a standard "CYA" answer to the question.
Technically he is right, but I think people are misunderstanding. The potential problem is the cheap piece of junk that Dometic and Norcold make their cooling units out of. We all know about how the boiler tube is too thin, and can easily overheat. When it does, the pipe bursts, which is a problem because what comes out of the pipe will burn.

Now as much of that is fact, the problem is that is a potential issue regardless of if you are driving or not. The only bad part about driving is that if it does blow, you will need to pull over, which reduces the time you have to get out of your RV before it burns to the ground. Even if it does not catch fire, you have a severe ammonia problem, and will need to vacate the coach for a while - ask me how I know.
IRV2