cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling from the front of a Class A

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any way to pull( a 2002 Monaco Class A 40 foot PBD diesel pusher) I can not find a tow hook is there anything anyone knows that can help
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
19 REPLIES 19

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That makes no sense. No matter, though! If you got towed safely, end of story!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
Not all motorhomes are pulled from the front! I own a 2004 Winnebago that has to be towed from the rear and the driveline has to be disconnected. I know this for a fact because my RV was towed into Lake Havasu many years ago when it was hit by a runaway truck!

Why would you have to disconnect the drive line when towed from the rear? Isn't the drive line off the ground?
Itโ€™s what the towing instructions said to do!

Really? You get a towing company with the right equipment and experience that thing would be out of there for sure. I haven't been around the family towing business for a lot of years but the last one I pulled out was a 45ft Monaco way off the road buried in the sand---winched out from the front.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
J-Rooster wrote:
Not all motorhomes are pulled from the front! I own a 2004 Winnebago that has to be towed from the rear and the driveline has to be disconnected. I know this for a fact because my RV was towed into Lake Havasu many years ago when it was hit by a runaway truck!

Why would you have to disconnect the drive line when towed from the rear? Isn't the drive line off the ground?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
No, there's no good way to do it. That chassis is supposed to be picked with "bus bars" which are like a giant version of a regular automotive wheel-lift. But it also needs to be a long-reach version (commonly called a Euro-Stinger) to even make turns when hooked up that way. I don't think they approve picking at the axle.

Which means, there's no good winching option either. The best bet is to call for a "Rotator" truck with a spreader bar, then hoist from the wheels:

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think I have ever seen that many words strung together without any punctuation!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, large blocks against frame to prevent cable or strap from coming into contact with fiberglass body may work.
I would be careful, even backing gravel trucks into area. They may sink faster then your rig!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drive a gasser, (Front engine gasoline powered) but what was said above about towing with chain, cable or strap causing fiberglass damage still applies.

The tow trucks that have towed this RV from the front (3 of 'em, single breakdown) Break down site to first shop.. Wheel lift
Ship to campground when we decided we did not knwo if insurance woudl cover (it did) Wheel lift
Camp ground to shop that put in the new engine,, Wheel lift.

So everyone used a wheel lift

The only times we have cable towed was when it was stuck in sand... Twice, once front once rear. the tow cable was flat on the ground the tow truck did not move.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
How long is the driveway? Put down 4" of #3s and then 4" of crusher run...that is all you need. Have the empty truck run/pack the 3s before putting the crusher run down.

You can pull from the front but you have to put blocks against something so the cable is lower than the bottom of the front cap.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I think I figured it out I am borrowing a 18 ton dump truck that will scale out about 60k and spread blue slate backwards driving over it then come back with another 20 tons of number three and then 40 tons of number 3 over that and if I have to I will build a crib under the jacks and get it up high enough to put number three granite under the rear wheels just for safety fortunately some in the business call me a friend enough to loan me the truck and a track hoe and a tracked bobcat Truthfully I have been in tears all day not from what to do but from doing it my right hand which was crushed while on the job as a cop has swelled up like a softball just from the getting ready to get ready, no left kidney and the right is partially functional now and was supposed to have both hips replaced next week (Called that off) they were not good at putting elbows together when they did mine. but I passed the C D L what a lousy doctor the rain in our area with river flooding has left about 5 inches of water that is covered by grass, I have to be in las vegas nv march 18 I bought this because I hate to fly was in a sea landing crash still freaks me to here the jets in the plane but maybe I can get some sedatives and then can be poured on and poured off the airliner back to my plan if it will just not rain tomorrow I my be on the state highway friday night with a lot of work two overflowing creeks to cross one was dry before this winter it is predicted to rain today 90% Friday and 90% saturday then for this next there weeks the long range forcasrt is mostly rain for thirty days with maybe one or two dry days so tomorrow is all or wait till may or June to finish the project side note the doctor for the D o T physical asked why are you caring a cane my reply to practice my golf swing his reply good idea. In case you are wondering the rollback driver kept dropping the inverted ramp until it was about ten inches in the ground he bent the bed on the roll back and broke two chains all this just hooked to the trailer hitch in twenty five years living on this farm this is the worst wet winter anyone remembers and with rivers cresting over in my hay fields there is no where for more water to go
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only safe way is to raise the front end on a lift. Also, the drive shaft must be removed to avoid costly and unnecessary damage to the transmission....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
No, read the other post, he is unstuck, but was difficult due to no tow hooks on the front of the MH.

That's good news! So yeah, he's going to need something that lifts it by the front wheels.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, read the other post, he is unstuck, but was difficult due to no tow hooks on the front of the MH.