cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Re-attaching rubber moulding on outside of van

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello - I now have another problem. I brought my 2004 Roadtrek in to my dealer and had them re-attach the two rubber moulding strips which cover the screws that attach the lower panels to the outside of the van. That was 2 days ago and already it is starting to come loose. This cost me $90 and the dealer used 3M double-sided sticky tape for the job.

I called the dealer and they told me that is the only thing they have to use for this repair! Since this van is 10 years old, I am sure the manufacturer used something very strong and not merely double-sided sticky tape.

Can anyone help me?
10 REPLIES 10

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck with contact cement - got it at AutoZone. Spread a thinn layer on BOTH surfaces, wait about 10 min, then stick together. Do NOT try to remove it once stuck together - this stuff is GOOD! Think it was about $6 for a tube. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever need to remove the molding I have seen it done by heating it, and taking a strong piece of string looped over, and behind one end and then holding both ends of the string pulled the length of the molding.
I'm sure there are other ways, but this seemed the easiest.

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, guys! I will check with the service mgr to see if this is what they used - I will have to bring the camper back in for winterizing next month, so hopefully they can prepare it better.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
This what I used, and is available at Amazon.
3M VHB mounting tape

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:
3M Auto Moulding tape is what is used. It comes in rolls, and can be found at auto parts stores.
Just prep the surface really good. You can use GooGone to remove any old adhesive. Use a clean rag to rub the GooGone on, and put lots on and let it soak for a while. Then use rubbing alcohol to do a final clean of the area.
My guess is they didn't do the prep correctly, or used the wrong, or old tape.

If done right the tape should last at least another ten years.

DaveInAL, If done correctly 3M VHB (VeryHighBond) will secure the molding. It is used by most auto manufacturers to attach the numbers and letters which identify the model of a vehicle such as 300E, GL350, Roadtrek, F150 etc. VHB is used by Boeing to secure parts of the airframe together since a VHB connection is stronger than using rivets.

PeteCo
Explorer
Explorer
I have had mixed success with the 3M molding tape. Smaller pieces do alright but larger pieces do not. I suggest going to an auto body shop or a place that specializes in body paint and repair supplies.
Gspeed

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
I know people will recommend different things, but 3M Auto Moulding tape is what most, if not all the manufactures use. If I remember correctly it has a red backing that is removed.
I had to replace the rubber mouldings on my Rt due to some damage, and the 3M tape was still holding after several years in the AZ heat.

The liquid yellow adhesive is for weather stripping not for mouldings.

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
I've always used some stuff we would refer to as "Gorilla Snot". It's made by 3M. It's actual name is yellow weather strip adhesive or spmething like that. It's yellow and looks like nasal discharge from a Gorilla. Clean with alcohol and keep some cleaner for your hands. It can get everywhere and when it drips, well, it looks like a gorilla was blowing its nose. I'm replacing the gasket weather strips on my '89 GMC RV and it's working just like it always has. Just fine.

Clen the metal and gasket really well, slurp it on, wipe off the drips, use alcohol to clean it from what you don't want it on and let it set up. I think the large tube ran me about $10 more or less. It's in the adhesive/sealant aisle at most auto parts stores. I got my latest tube at O'Reilly's Auto.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
3M Auto Moulding tape is what is used. It comes in rolls, and can be found at auto parts stores.
Just prep the surface really good. You can use GooGone to remove any old adhesive. Use a clean rag to rub the GooGone on, and put lots on and let it soak for a while. Then use rubbing alcohol to do a final clean of the area.
My guess is they didn't do the prep correctly, or used the wrong, or old tape.

If done right the tape should last at least another ten years.

DaveInAL
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a liquid adhesive specified for that use with good success. Can't remember where I got it or who made it, but it might be worth searching for. Also, surface preparation is important with adhesives. Can make the difference between success and failure.
Dave, Dale, and Poppy the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
2014 Pleasure Way Plateau TS