cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refridgerator use in winter

dtrink
Explorer
Explorer
This will be the first time I have used my motorhome in the winter. Is there anything special that I have to do to use the refrigerator in the cold weather. It seems to me that there should not be anything to do differently, but I want to be sure. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
Don't know if you have the residential type refrigerator or gas absorption/electric, but I have heard on the gas absorption type if the outside of the fridge gets too cold through the outside access vents, it will stop cooling because it thinks everything is already cool. The fix was to put some form of heat back there such as a light bulb.

x2. If you use a regular fridge, no reason to seal the outdoor vents. sometimes you can get an extra bit of storage for tools.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Dtrink,

There is usually no issue, but any system can "siphon". This can happen to absorption unit more easily than compressor units, but both can have it happen.
Matt
I never think of it on a compressor unit because they are typically not open to environment on the back like absorption units, unless it was a retrofit.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Do NOT block the 'vents'.....need air flow to properly cool
X2
And to stay alive (if on LP). The vents serve to exhaust Carbon Monoxide at the top and provide combustion air at the bottom..

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do NOT block the 'vents'.....need air flow to properly cool

BUT if too cold need some additional heat to properly function.

A 60W incandescent light bulb in lower area should be enough 'added' heat
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dtrink,

There is usually no issue, but any system can "siphon". This can happen to absorption unit more easily than compressor units, but both can have it happen. All it means to you is that if the back gets colder than the freezer, it may all freeze. So, just keep an eye on it and if the reefer side starts to get too cold, block the outside vent with something simple at first. You can get more carried away if it gets colder.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if you have the residential type refrigerator or gas absorption/electric, but I have heard on the gas absorption type if the outside of the fridge gets too cold through the outside access vents, it will stop cooling because it thinks everything is already cool. The fix was to put some form of heat back there such as a light bulb.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have an ice maker then you need to look at where the water line runs. You maybe need to drain the line and turn off the water if it will be in an area where the freezing air circulates which is quite likely.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've used mine at 32 below 0F this winter.

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nothing different than in the summer.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly