cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove slide to replace floor covering,Update .

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to replace carpet. Does the slide ,LR, need to be removed? It is a raised slide.
Got an estimate from one person, he wanted $1400., labor because it would take three hrs., at 90.00 per hr. to remove, replace slide.
Anyone done this without removing the slide.
Suggestions for replacement, allure, vinyl, etc?

Thanks,
Chuck
Thanks, going to have done by installer.
Really appreciate all the post. You are all great!!
Chuck & Laraine
20 REPLIES 20

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Belgique wrote:
We just installed Alure Ultra and did not remove the slides. A pro did the install for $1K labor. Fantastic job. Best $1K I ever spent.

Just curious, I was looking at installing this too, but per the manufacturer specs, you are only supposed to put this flooring in a location where the temperature can be maintained between 55 and 85 degrees. That's usually fine in most houses, but unless you live in your motorhome can you always make sure the interior temp stays in that range?

We chose Allure Ultra after reading many many reports from other folks here and on other sites. A huge majority never had any problems with temps out of the parameters. Maybe because Ultra floats so with proper expansion joints on the sides, it works? So far, we are very very happy with it.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. All of you are great!

Chuck
Chuck & Laraine

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Erniee, I hoped you would respond.
Getting the advice from you,I know for sure it can be done!

Thanks, Chuck
Chuck & Laraine

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
Vector, how did you secure the remaining old carpet under the slide?

Thanks
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
We just installed Alure Ultra and did not remove the slides. A pro did the install for $1K labor. Fantastic job. Best $1K I ever spent.

Just curious, I was looking at installing this too, but per the manufacturer specs, you are only supposed to put this flooring in a location where the temperature can be maintained between 55 and 85 degrees. That's usually fine in most houses, but unless you live in your motorhome can you always make sure the interior temp stays in that range?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
No slide ever needs to be removed to add flooring. Those dealers that say that want your money.
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

vector
Explorer
Explorer
I used carpet tiles like those used in a commercial installation when I replaced the old carpet in our coach. The 2'x2' tiles would easily reach back under the slide when it was rolled out to its full extension. The rubber backing on the tiles provided an extra layer of soundproofing and insulation. It was a pretty easy install, plus if one gets damaged I can pull it up and replace it.
2001 GB Pursuit 3512DS
Ford F53 V-10
Banks Powerpack
Trans Command
2002 Honda CR-V AWD

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Teacher's Pet wrote:
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Teacher's Pet wrote:
The Tiffin Service Center in Red Bay AL. Pulled our DS slide and replaced the floor, and then reinstalled it in about 2.5 hours. However it involved a stationary hoist, plus a crane rail, built up floor and 4 workers.
Was this your COACH?

Yes it was see blog here for pix from 10/27/2012

In that one they pulled your slide because they replaced the "floor" not just the floor covering. So I'm back to my original statement that I doubt you have to remove the slide to replace the floor covering on any motorhome.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. Keep them coming.
I went back to look at the estimate, it was 8 hrs. not 3.
either way a lot of labor cost If it can be done without removing.

Chuck
Chuck & Laraine

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You rarely have to REMOVE the slide completely. You take the inside flanges off and allow the room to over extend with some type of heavy duty support to hold the room in place until the carpet can be installed and stapled. IF you have Carpet and are replacing with Carpet, I have NEVER heard of or had to remove the slide to replace carpet. You do NOT have tack strips like in a house and the carpet is stapled and you just pull it loose and then push the new under the slide inside flange. 3.0 hours to remove a slide and reinstall is a GOOD deal. I don't know of any competent shop that would do that for 3.0 hours. Usually a minimum of 6 to 10 hours depending on the type slide and length of slide and difficulty. Doug

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Teacher's Pet wrote:
The Tiffin Service Center in Red Bay AL. Pulled our DS slide and replaced the floor, and then reinstalled it in about 2.5 hours. However it involved a stationary hoist, plus a crane rail, built up floor and 4 workers.
Was this your COACH?

Yes it was see blog here for pix from 10/27/2012
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
chucl66 wrote:
I would like to replace carpet. Does the slide ,LR, need to be removed? It is a raised slide.
Got an estimate from one person, he wanted $1400., labor because it would take three hrs., at 90.00 per hr. to remove, replace slide.
Anyone done this without removing the slide.
Suggestions for replacement, allure, vinyl, etc?

Thanks,
Chuck

Don't think the carpet goes back under the slide, more than a 1/2" or so. Why not check this beforehand.
As for replacement, I'd do carpet again, rather than have the slide going over any other material, such as laminate and not what you would call scratch proof, either.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Teacher's Pet wrote:

4 workers 2.5 hours is 10 hours labor. That does sound reasonable.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4