cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing a Norcold 1200 with a residential

bkd148
Explorer
Explorer
Would it be possibble for forum members that have replaced thier No-cold refers with residential models to reply with the make and model that they have had success with? I'm looking for something that would fit in the opening without modifications on the width. I can go about 8in. lower if need be. Thanks Marty
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Cat C-12 455hp. 6spd. Allison
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
29 REPLIES 29

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
A fridge that is listed as being 32.5" deep is NOT a counter depth fridge. Notice the last dimensions listed above and the depth of the box is only 24 1/4". Add the door itself and you are still only 28 1/8. The above link leads to a fridge with a depth of 32.5 and therefore has nothing at all to do with the type fridge the poster intends to install.
I love my household counter depth fridge and it doesn't take up any more living space than the RV fridge it replaced occupied.
"The Wife" wants a new one as she is totally smitten by the French Door setup instead of our current side-by-side unit. Our current unit (a GE Profile) is now going on 14 years old so it might also be time. The new ones are also much more energy efficient than our old dog so it could be a win-win for us during those times that we dry camp.

Fridges that are defined as counter depth have "boxes" that are flush with the cabinetry which is always 24" deep. The doors and handles always stick out beyond the cabinet or you wouldn't be able to open the doors.

Take a look at any of these counter depth models:

Counter depth refrigerators

The Samsung's box is 24" deep; with the handles it is 30.5" not 32.5". I don't know why people who don't own one think they know more than people who have one.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

docj
Explorer
Explorer
bkd148 wrote:
Joel, Your Thunder looks similar to mine. Did the Samsung fit through your entry door with the doors and drawer removed or did it have to go through a window? Also, do the door handles hang out to far? My floorplan is a Monticelo so with the slide out I think no problem. Thanks Marty

We didn't try to bring it through the door. The folks who did the remodeling hired someone to remove and replace the right windshield. The swap was done in a single afternoon.

The door handles don't stick out all that far. They look like this:

Sandie & Joel

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
A fridge that is listed as being 32.5" deep is NOT a counter depth fridge. Notice the last dimensions listed above and the depth of the box is only 24 1/4". Add the door itself and you are still only 28 1/8. The above link leads to a fridge with a depth of 32.5 and therefore has nothing at all to do with the type fridge the poster intends to install.
I love my household counter depth fridge and it doesn't take up any more living space than the RV fridge it replaced occupied.
"The Wife" wants a new one as she is totally smitten by the French Door setup instead of our current side-by-side unit. Our current unit (a GE Profile) is now going on 14 years old so it might also be time. The new ones are also much more energy efficient than our old dog so it could be a win-win for us during those times that we dry camp.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
docj wrote:
Executive wrote:

Norcold 1200LRIM H 63.25 W 32.69 D 24.0
Samsung 197SS H 69.80 W 32.30 D 32.5

I'm not sure where you got your dimensions for the Samsung, but these are right off of the Samsung site.

The total dimensions, including handles are:

32 1/8’’ x 70 1/8’’ x 30 1/2’’

The dimensions of the "box" are:

32 1/8’’ x 69 7/8’’ x 24 1/4"

Without the handles, the box plus doors are the following:

32 1/8’’ x 69 7/8’’ x 28 1/8’’

OTOH the 24" depth you quoted for the Norcold is only the cutout depth requirement, as stated on the Norcold site and doesn't include the doors or handles.

I am not making these corrections to try to convince you or anyone else to change whatever fridge they wish to have, but I think it is important that all parties have accurate information on which to base their decisions. Because the Samsung's box has the same 24" depth as the Norcold the fridge does not appreciably intrude into the room any more than than the Norcold does. I believe the measurements you cited are for the 21 cu ft model which is not a cabinet-depth appliance.

Samsung specs

That's a Home Depot webpage. I took my dimensions from this Samsung page: Samsung RF197

And since I own one, I know these happen to be correct.
Sandie & Joel

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

Sorry, but the cabinet for mine was a perfect fit for the depth. Sure, the handle adds a little to the overall depth, but it fit "perfect" in our coach, which was built by Monaco. Plus your figures are a little off from the "actual" dimensions.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
docj wrote:
Executive wrote:

I'm not sure where you got your dimensions for the Samsung, but these are right off of the Samsung site.

OTOH the 24" depth you quoted for the Norcold is only the cutout depth requirement, as stated on the Norcold site and doesn't include the doors or handles.

I am not making these corrections to try to convince you or anyone else to change whatever fridge they wish to have, but I think it is important that all parties have accurate information on which to base their decisions. Because the Samsung's box has the same 24" depth as the Norcold the fridge does not appreciably intrude into the room any more than than the Norcold does. I believe the measurements you cited are for the 21 cu ft model which is not a cabinet-depth appliance.

Samsung specs
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

Sandie & Joel

bkd148
Explorer
Explorer
Joel, Your Thunder looks similar to mine. Did the Samsung fit through your entry door with the doors and drawer removed or did it have to go through a window? Also, do the door handles hang out to far? My floorplan is a Monticelo so with the slide out I think no problem. Thanks Marty
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Cat C-12 455hp. 6spd. Allison
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Frigidaire 18.2 cu ft. Gallery at Lowes's. Can't remember model # but very common to find them in Lowe's in black and stainless.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Texan wrote:
Samsung rf197. Perfect fit in width and depth, plus only about 2" taller than the Nocold 1200. Really nice to have "frozen" ice cream and "cold" beer. LOL.

Close, but not quite right....the width is the same, the DEPTH is NOT nor, as stated, is the height.....depending on how your fridge sits in the opening, the handles on the 197 might protrude into the hallway. This was the main reason I went to the Amish cooling unit instead of the residential route. So far, I'm pleased with my decision....time will tell however.....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DavisK wrote:
I turned on my "No-cold" Friday to get ready for an outing this weekend. I was carrying some things to the trailer a few minutes ago and checked the temperature. The freezer was -7, and the fridge was 26. I think my beer will be cold and ice cream will be frozen.

It's brand new......
Turned on Friday it should be cold today :B

26*F in food section......milk will probably be frozen too.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
I turned on my "No-cold" Friday to get ready for an outing this weekend. I was carrying some things to the trailer a few minutes ago and checked the temperature. The freezer was -7, and the fridge was 26. I think my beer will be cold and ice cream will be frozen.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds

docj
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Samsung rf197. Perfect fit in width and depth, plus only about 2" taller than the Nocold 1200. Really nice to have "frozen" ice cream and "cold" beer. LOL.

X2; another vote for the Samsung RF197! Best improvement we've made.
Sandie & Joel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't done a swap to residential.
Seems Samsung RF197 & Fisher & Paykel RF170ADX4 work well

Samsung RF197...Happiness???

Fisher & Paykel
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today