cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reverse Alert Warning brake and Alarm

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if similar systems exist in the U.S. Tragedies have happened where small children /animals have been injured or killed by a backing Motorhome
Facebook page of Reverse Alert Australia
12 REPLIES 12

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
i have a zion which is a ram promaster. it has rear camera and rear beepers. the closer you get to something the faster and louder the beep

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a basic back up alert with a camera for less than $50 in the us now..and any " geek squad" will install them for under a hundred if you arent teck savy. A worthy investment. My camera also has night vision, made backing in at at a camping spot that was steeply angle d a snap... do no harm...
Eric
92 Coachmen Class B, Dodge chassis
The War Wagon...
https://www.facebook.com/BedraggledClassBCampers

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
PSW wrote:
mkguitar, did I read that correctly? Your Prius sounds a backup alert...

Yes, as the shift lever is moved to "R"- the rear camera is shown on the display ( a "head's down" display...the driver must look down to use it and attention is taken from the windows and mirrors)

and the reverse alarm will beep loudly only inside the car ( not outside).

Be aware that the driver of a prius may not hear a warning from outside the car.

On previous generations of Prius the alarm could be disabled- mine cannot ( 2013 PV), some owners cut the wires to the beeper.

the prius has a squeaky toy for a horn ( designed for urban environs)- many drivers change this
the first time used on a highway, you know that the driver on the phone can;t hear you as they drift into your lane.

the prius "plays" a sound of a dragging brake pads at low speeds as a "warning" of a moving car- some drivers disconnect the speaker...I wish i could select the sound played...maybe "ice cream truck" rather than "poorly maintained/ broken car"

a briefcase on the pass seat may also start the seat belt alarm...

interior materials are thin and easily marred, seats are crap

the infotainment system consistently crashes

while the mpg is exactly as advertised, this'll be my first/last toyota.

Mike

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
mkguitar, did I read that correctly? Your Prius sounds a backup alert inside but not outside the vehicle??? That means Prius assumes the driver is so dumb he doesn't know he/she is backing up, not going forward?

Your last line says it all "stupid engineers"

It is like the green signs on our roadways. I am absolutely convinced that the folks that design the signage never drive. Why else would you put the exit here sign past of the exit???
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
I think the more gee-gaws, the less attention the driver pays.

driver of a large vehicle should do a walk around and check or stationary and "dynamic" obstacles.

any auto parts store will sell a beeper which plugs into back up light socket.

2.) my 2013 prius has a reverse alert which drives me nuts...it only sounds inside the car...preventing an audible warning from anyone outside the car.

stupid engineers.

mike

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Reverse beepers are common on commercial vehicles in the US. They come on any time the vehicle is shifted to reverse gear.

The problem I see with them is that a young child isn't going to interpret the beeping with a vehicle about to back up over them. They are useful in industrial situations where adults know what to do when they hear it.

For a while some vehicles had a "proximity warning" if the vehicle was about to back into something. I think those have mostly been replaced by rear-view cameras on new vehicles. The rear-view cameras are common standard or optional equipment on most trucks, mini-vans, and full-size van. There are lots of after-market systems available that can be installed on older vehicles, too.

I have to say the reverse beepers would be incredibly annoying in a campground.

Same thing here for Commercial Vehicles, but in the vehicle the system realises a child is present and AUTOMATICALLY applies the Brakes

I'm not aware of any vehicle system in the US that does that.

What if you need to back up close to a loading dock or other obstacle (like in a tight campsight) and the automatic braking comes on? Seems like that could create problems too.

There is an override system see video and website
A braking system designed to reduce the risks associated with reversing trailers and caravans will soon be released. This trailer system utilises the same principles - sensors detect an object - and the brake is applied automatically.

The trailer system is activated when the trailer/caravan is connected to the vehicle. In this instance sensors are installed on the rear of the trailer/caravan and can be positioned anywhere - top and bottom.

This system will give the driver peace of mind when reversing in environments with limited room; such as caravan parks.

Footage of the trailer system in action will be uploaded soon.

Watch TV Commercial

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Reverse beepers are common on commercial vehicles in the US. They come on any time the vehicle is shifted to reverse gear.

The problem I see with them is that a young child isn't going to interpret the beeping with a vehicle about to back up over them. They are useful in industrial situations where adults know what to do when they hear it.

For a while some vehicles had a "proximity warning" if the vehicle was about to back into something. I think those have mostly been replaced by rear-view cameras on new vehicles. The rear-view cameras are common standard or optional equipment on most trucks, mini-vans, and full-size van. There are lots of after-market systems available that can be installed on older vehicles, too.

Same thing here for Commercial Vehicles, but in the vehicle the system realises a child is present and AUTOMATICALLY applies the Brakes

I'm not aware of any vehicle system in the US that does that.

What if you need to back up close to a loading dock or other obstacle (like in a tight campsight) and the automatic braking comes on? Seems like that could create problems too.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
I use a three prong system - OK, I'm a bit anal about this (and a few other things according to DW).

On our B, I do have a backup alarm - when in Reverse gear only.

We frequently pull a trailer (motorcycle inside, etc.) so I have a back up camera on both the B and on the trailer, and can use either from the drivers seat. There are Hella "fogs" as back up lights as well, again controlled from the driver's seat. Makes nighttime a LOT easier.

And, finally, or should I say firstly, when we get to a campsite, I always stop, get out, walk around what I need to do - trees, limbs, posts, pets, kids, whatever - talk it over with DW, and back in.

While backing, we also have two-way radio communication between us, should it be necessary.

Daytime is quite easy. After dark, well, IMHO the details pay dividends.

Knock on wood, haven't hit anything yet.

Cheers.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Reverse alert alarms puts the responsibility on the listener. I prefer a back up camera instead.

Our Subaru has one and I installed one one our truck also...Great and won't ever have another vehicle without one.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
You occasionally hear some of the bigger motorhomes with beep alerts in campgrounds. I don't think I recall a Class B with the feature. Better is that you can get active alerts for the driver if there is an obstacle in the way.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board