cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadtrek Zion dual dumping system

gerrym51
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtreks Zion come with the first Dual dumping system in a b.

it has both a macerator and a dump port gravity drain

zion system
28 REPLIES 28

booster
Explorer
Explorer
An awful lot of people have found that once they used a macerator to dump, they don't want to go back to gravity. The only real complaint I have ever heard about macerators is being unable to dump if there is a problem, and the dual setup takes care of that.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:

....many dumps at campgrounds are too high to use the gravity dump...

I'm curious, where have you encountered this? After staying in more than 100 campgrounds in the US and Canada the past five years, I honestly can't recall any with dumps impossibly high for gravity systems.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
wincrasher65 wrote:
Seems like a waste of money to me, as well as unneccesary complication and future maintenance issue. If it will drain by gravity, why would you need a macerator?

Might help at re-sale time since clearly from these posts, some people like macerators.

gerrym51
Explorer
Explorer
if you have both seems to me all options are covered. seems ok to me

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Windcrasher's post seemed pretty generic to me, and other people were just talking about Macerators, so I responded in kind. I've been many places in my Rt that I had to walk the hose, or find another place to dump. Nice to hear that the Zion won't have this problem, and thanks for pointing that out.
Oh, and you misspelled "too" :W

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:
wincrasher65 wrote:
Seems like a waste of money to me, as well as unneccesary complication and future maintenance issue. If it will drain by gravity, why would you need a macerator?

2 reasons, One, many dumps at campgrounds are too high to use the gravity dump, and 2 with the Macerator you can pump uphill to any clean out. Try doing that with a gravity system.

.....Many dumps at campgrounds are to high........

I don't think so Arizona Kid. The Zion gravity dump is much higher than My Roadtrek 190P. I do have to move on from raised dumps. I think that the Zion will be fine with Many raised dumps.

Take another look.

Bud

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our '05 210 has the original macerator (and hose!); both still functioning fine. We're careful what goes in our waste tanks - no hair or garbage and plenty of water to keep things fluid. I believe 2005 was the first year for the macerator as standard equipment. After witnessing a couple of guys losing control of their Class A gravity dump hose in the middle of the dump station we were happy to finish up quickly and get pout of there before the mess spread our way!
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 04 Roadtrek that has been retrofitted with a macerator. Pretty simple concept; the macerator pump is placed at the end of the slinky hose and slides back up into the 4" pvc pipe. When winterizing I remove the pump and make sure there is no water left in it that can freeze and crack the housing. In an emergency dump situation, I can just remove the pump and I have the slinky back for dumping. The macerator is so convenient, it would be quickly replaced if it quit.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
I thought the macerator was a great idea when I bought my Roadtrek. I've changed my mind. The impeller blades in the pump are made out of some sort of rubber that doesn't last all that long. Mine stopped working and of course I had a full tank I wanted to dump. Fixing it required removing the pump and rebuilding the impeller. Not a big cost if you do the work yourself, but not all that easy given the tight clearances. Not a big fan of having a full tank of waste overhead that's within a foot of my face as I'm removing some of the plumbing on the outlet side. LOL

Anyway, my next RV will not have a macerator on the dump. I'll use plain old gravity. I'm also tired of the misreadings on the gauges so I'll be looking for external sensors and a black tank flush feature.

I used my portable for years, and never had an impeller problem.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
wincrasher65 wrote:

2 reasons, One, many dumps at campgrounds are too high to use the gravity dump, and 2 with the Macerator you can pump uphill to any clean out. Try doing that with a gravity system.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought the macerator was a great idea when I bought my Roadtrek. I've changed my mind. The impeller blades in the pump are made out of some sort of rubber that doesn't last all that long. Mine stopped working and of course I had a full tank I wanted to dump. Fixing it required removing the pump and rebuilding the impeller. Not a big cost if you do the work yourself, but not all that easy given the tight clearances. Not a big fan of having a full tank of waste overhead that's within a foot of my face as I'm removing some of the plumbing on the outlet side. LOL

Anyway, my next RV will not have a macerator on the dump. I'll use plain old gravity. I'm also tired of the misreadings on the gauges so I'll be looking for external sensors and a black tank flush feature.

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

gerrym51
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
I think Davydd put a similar system in his class B, a custom-built Advanced RV.

I'm a fan of gravity vs macerator, so I think the dual system is a great idea. Pick the one you like, and when the macerator has a problem, you've got a backup.

first van below 150,000 dollars with dual system :B

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I think Davydd put a similar system in his class B, a custom-built Advanced RV.

I'm a fan of gravity vs macerator, so I think the dual system is a great idea. Pick the one you like, and when the macerator has a problem, you've got a backup.