cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoadTrekers: Road-Side Assistance? Will AAA do?

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
I had Good Sam for my Winnebago View 23J, and I won't do them again (long story, but I'll never do that again).

I just want to be properly towed when need be, and with the RT being so very low to the ground, and the generator *right exactly* where one would not want it to be when towing with front wheels up, I was wondering what your experiences have been with AAA or others. And if they manged to tow you without damaging your rig.
Why? Because at my age, I have maybe 40 more chances to see flowers bloom.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

11 REPLIES 11

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess it's a moot point...seems you can't get RV ERS from AAA unless you have ERS for a car with them. My plan was to have only the B rig.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a CAA member(except for career moves overseas) since 1961! I have used their services for autos(my hot tanked car died a few times) and had flat tire service on two of my last three RVs. PW has been trouble-free. I did get a tire repair by AAA in the US(Minnesota) a while back and no problem. Interested in the varying experiences in some USA States which doesnt seem to be a problem here in Canada. No experience with GS other than being a member without roadside assistance coverage.,
AL

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have used GS several times on a couple of vehicles, but with only one tow on a Subaru. Service has been very satisfactory all times. I had used AAA before we bought the RT, but could not get coverage from them for the van in some states that we travelled.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

retired4fun2002
Explorer
Explorer
I have a B, and didn't go with them due to their not having the same rules in all States. An example, if you are in State A, and needed a roll-back, you told them the vehicle and that it couldn't be lifted and towed; State B, does not do the roll-back..but you could find one, get it done and submit the bill for reimbursement. I thought this was wrong - your travelling - don't know when and if you will need service..and it may, or may not be available. So I made the mistake of going with GS, then did without for awhile, but eventually settling on Coach Net thru FMCA. Ironic thing - I've never used any service, but it is available if I should need it. Safe travels.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
I think we all know how you feel, as you never miss a chance to bash them.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:
Just remember AAA RV Plus does not cover you in every state. AAA is like a franchise, and some states don't offer RV towing. Now you may be able to get a tow, and charge back to AAA, but why bother when Good Sam, or Coach Net specializes in towing RV's in every state.
GSRA has got a lot better the last couple of years, and now offers different packages.
There is a forum dedicated to Good Sam Road Service, in the "Dear Marcus" forums.
I must be reading very different post on this forum, than you are. It seems to me that it has gotten much worse the past year, not better.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember AAA RV Plus does not cover you in every state. AAA is like a franchise, and some states don't offer RV towing. Now you may be able to get a tow, and charge back to AAA, but why bother when Good Sam, or Coach Net specializes in towing RV's in every state.
GSRA has got a lot better the last couple of years, and now offers different packages.
There is a forum dedicated to Good Sam Road Service, in the "Dear Marcus" forums.

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
500 miles? Wow. AAA's site says up to 100/150 miles for towing. I guess western AAA differs from southern AAA in that respect.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

ROADTREKKER2000
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using AAA coverage on our Roadtrek for fourteen years and have used it in Canada as well as the U.S.

The only issue in Canada was the time it took for CAA to contact AAA to confirm our coverage. CAA went out of their way to assist us with vehicle repairs in Cranbrook B.C., and we were back on the road early the following day as a result of their assistance and recommendations.

We had one instance in WA state where we needed to be towed 519 miles and there was a 500 mile towing limit on our AAA coverage, so AAA paid a 500/519 percentage of the towing cost which was most of the cost.

We have been very pleased with our AAA RV coverage.
Papa :C, Lois 🙂 Griz 😛

2000 Roadtrek 200 Popular

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
Kewl. I'm sooo happy to hear that. Do you have their RV insurance or other?
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

downtheroadagai
Explorer
Explorer
I have had AAA for years. Been towed two times- always on a flat bed truck. 96 Coach House class B. Never had any complaints with them.