cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route in colorado

johnf
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, best route from cortez co. To ridgway co. Thanks earlier post will help also
john
16 REPLIES 16

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
BarryG20 wrote:
I guess I am in the minority here. Don't feel the road is a problem really at all. Speed limit is like 25 or 30. The road while not overly wide is not extremely narrow. There are plenty of places to turnout. There are no guard rails due to snow removal. If one were to do some research you would find that fatalities or driving off the cliff are extremely rare and there are many safer roads in the mountains here that are much more dangerous.

Don't forget the monument on the highway in memory of all of the snow plow drivers that lost their lives on that road. Yes many have driven it as many more will but it is not right for everyone. If you don't mind narrow roads with no guard rails and the road being paved to the edge of a 1,000 foot drop off; no problem. We love to drive it in our toad as it is beautiful but as stated before I will pass it up in our RV. If you are comfortable with that type of road go ahead but if you are having second thoughts I would pass.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
Busskipper:

OK, your suggestion (for me traveling from Montrose south to Silverton then Durango) would be get off 550 at Ridgeway, take 62 over to 145 south down to 160, then east to Durango. So, is 550 ok north from Durango to Silverton?

My other alternative is to drop down from Pueblo to 160 and take 160 over to Durango. Is there any advantage to 160 vs. 50 if I am heading west from Colorado Springs?

That is a nice drive too! Some construction on the West side of Wolf Creek Pass out of South Fork - some one lane work that has you wait at a light for opposing traffic until they are done. You'll pass the Great Sand Dunes National Monument, South Fork, close to Creede, Pagosa Springs, and that view from the west side of Wolf Creek Pass is much more breathtaking to me than anything 550 offers. It gets a little barren between La Vida pass and Alamosa, but that's Colorado.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
Ran across this thread and since we are heading to that area for the first time this September, will ask about best/most scenic routes that are suitable for my 43' coach towing a F150.

IMHO, there are few roads in Colorado that are not Suitable for your Rig - (RT 82/Independence Pass is length restricted so.....) Now you have been doing this RV thing for a while - Do you and the DW enjoy/feel fine on the Mountain Roads? If so you will be fine. The piece of road in Question is RT 550 from Ouray to Durango, I drive it. I love IT. I recommend IT, with the understanding, that you need to be comfortable, on Mountain Roads that may concern some. It is easy for me to say this as I have a 43' Travel Supreme and have taken/driven it all over Colorado and never felt anything but excitement. BUT that's ME.

Utube of Ouray to Silverton to Durango

We plan to travel from Colorado Springs down to Pueblo, then take 50 west to Montrose. From Montrose had planned to head down to Silverton, then Durango, then over to Mesa Verde before moving on to Moab and several places in Utah. Is 550 south from Silverton to Durango not a great idea?

Keep in mind I drove over the Beartooth highway several years ago East to West into Yellowstone driving a 36' DP towing a Ford Explorer. I had no issues with that drive....it was a challenge at places but we did fine.

If you drove the Beartooth, you will be fine on the Million Dollar Highway

smlranger wrote:
Busskipper:

OK, your suggestion (for me

traveling from Montrose south

to Silverton

then Durango) would be get off 550 at

Ridgeway, take

62 over to

145 south down to

160, then east

to Durango. So,

is 550 ok north from Durango to Silverton?

My other alternative is to

drop down from Pueblo to

160 and take 160 over to Durango.

Is there any advantage to 160 vs. 50 if I am heading west from Colorado Springs?

Sorry I had to break your post down to Understand it.

You will be Fine in Colorado.

BUT - timing and route will be Critical for the maximum enjoyment/exposure to the Colorado you are looking for.

Last 10 days of September will yield THIS - ASPEN so being in the right spot is critical.

Have you looked at catching another one of my Favorite areas in Colorado - Leadville/Buena Vista/RT 82/Maroon Bells/ Collegiates/Quincy's/Arkansas River/Browns Canyon NM?

Then Coming over to Ouray/Silverton/Telluride/Ridgway/Montrose/Trout Lake/Dunton/Black Canyon of the Gunnison/Lake City.

Let me compliment you on your timing - IMHO you have chosen the BEST time of the year to SEE Colorado, although I have yet to visit it when I did not enjoy the state and the Granddaughters. Try to see as much of this state as possible before heading out in October/November to Utah.

Sort of getting Carried away - just hope this helps and does not confuse anyone.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper:

OK, your suggestion (for me traveling from Montrose south to Silverton then Durango) would be get off 550 at Ridgeway, take 62 over to 145 south down to 160, then east to Durango. So, is 550 ok north from Durango to Silverton?

My other alternative is to drop down from Pueblo to 160 and take 160 over to Durango. Is there any advantage to 160 vs. 50 if I am heading west from Colorado Springs?
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
johnf wrote:
Hi, best route from cortez co. To ridgway co. Thanks earlier post will help also

John, from your post last Fall;

2gypsies wrote:
If driving it soon you'll need to monitor the weather for snow in some areas. You could have three choices:

242 miles via Hwy 145 north (steep uphill to Telluride & high elevation for snow) to 550 to I-70

240 miles via 491 to 141 to Delta to 133 or instead of 133 at Delta take 50 to Grand Junction then I-70 east

325 miles via 491/Utah 191 north to I-70 - perhaps best if snow on other routes

Busskipper wrote:
Best route from cortez co. To carbondale co

2gypsies wrote:
If driving it soon you'll need to monitor the weather for snow in some areas. You could have three choices:

242 miles via Hwy 145 north (steep uphill to Telluride & high elevation for snow) to 550 to I-70

240 miles via 491 to 141 to Delta to 133 or instead of 133 at Delta take 50 to Grand Junction then I-70 east

325 miles via 491/Utah 191 north to I-70 - perhaps best if snow on other routes

All these routes work - BUT - for me number 1 would be my choice, even in a little snow. Roads are all good and there are so many greats stops/things to see along the way.

My first stop would be Dunton/Lizard Head - A beautiful off road trip on some easy/mild 4x4 trails with some interesting scenery, just a neat /Beautiful little slice of heaven along the way. Followed By Trout Lake, just always makes me wonder why I did not move here? Next is Telluride, just one of those neat little ski towns that have just priced themselves out of reality - but still a fun stop. Next would be Last Dollar Ranch a 392-acre spread that borders a 13,000-acre property owned by clothing magnate Ralph Lauren Ralph Lauren, and is surrounded by the beautiful wooded fences. Then on to Ridgway - you could take a run to Ouray if you had time - just another one of the reason I could move here.

Now on up to North Delta before turning onto Rt 133 - hopping you knew to stop at Black Cannon of the Gunnison NP - Yes when you look down it really appears to be a Black Hole! Rt 133 follows the North Fork of the Gunnison River and is a fun drive, with the River and a Reservoir or two along the way.

Next stop would be to turn off at Marble - if the weather is still good you might even venture off to see Crystal Mill - bt to do this you will need a really Good JEEP. After the fun at Marble the last little stop would be Red Stone - a neat little artist areas/town on the back side of Aspen.

Once you get to Carbondale you MUST take the time to Visit Maroon Bells, which IMHO is just Colorado at it's BEST. - After this long trip a short run to the Hot Springs in Glenwood would be in line.

So, for me, this is the "Best Route" - but - all of the others suggested by 2gypsies are Excellent and there would be no wrong choice.

Watch the weather - in October it can change quickly but that said the sun usually comes right back out, and you can continue your travels on clear roads.

Best of Luck and let us know what choice you make, and share the fun you had.

Here is the answer but it seems the issue is what are you after in Colorado - just a BEAUTIFUL STATE.

Not a road or an area I have traveled that I could not find Adventure - excitement - FUN.

As I've said before - we are all different, so the roads one loves, are not the same, Many of us will seek out the Mountain Drives that other shy away from - so it's to each his/her own.

Give us a little more insight into what you are seeking and we can give you some options that will likely fit the Bill.

Enjoy Colorado, if you are up for Adventure, you are in the right place.

Just a couple of thoughts,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Best route does not always mean closest for some of us. The CO 145 route is beautiful and the closest. 550 is very beautiful and hairy and longer by miles from Cortez. For me 550 is not that hard but I have been driving Colorado 40+ years.

And there you have it.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
ridgeway to fruita is no problem all
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

johnf
Explorer
Explorer
I guess my original issue is from ridgway to fruita map quest shows 60 miles on 550 is that stretch pretty good for 35ft and towing
john

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am in the minority here. Don't feel the road is a problem really at all. Speed limit is like 25 or 30. The road while not overly wide is not extremely narrow. There are plenty of places to turnout. There are no guard rails due to snow removal. If one were to do some research you would find that fatalities or driving off the cliff are extremely rare and there are many safer roads in the mountains here that are much more dangerous.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go any way you like that DOES NOT include the Million Dollar Highway. It's called that because that's what it's going to cost you when you DW sues you for divorce after you make that terrible mistake.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
Ran across this thread and since we are heading to that area for the first time this September, will ask about best/most scenic routes that are suitable for my 43' coach towing a F150.

We plan to travel from Colorado Springs down to Pueblo, then take 50 west to Montrose. From Montrose had planned to head down to Silverton, then Durango, then over to Mesa Verde before moving on to Moab and several places in Utah. Is 550 south from Silverton to Durango not a great idea?

Keep in mind I drove over the Beartooth highway several years ago East to West into Yellowstone driving a 36' DP towing a Ford Explorer. I had no issues with that drive....it was a challenge at places but we did fine.

Bob & Ann is not being dramatic at all about the stretch of 550 from Ouray to Silverton. My suggestion would be to go to youtube and see some of the many videos people have posted about that drive.

I would do it with my 54' combo 1 ton truck with TT in tow. My truck is modern, properly maintained and I would have no issue doing that drive. That does not mean the drive is for everyone... even with dry roads. I quite enjoy heights and living on the edge and love that type of adventure so take that for what it is worth. I'm sure my wife would not fully agree about taking that route though.
I love me some land yachting

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Just came that way last week. Some construction and one Lane areas that are controlled by lights that may delay you up to 20 min. Just outside of Silverton if I remember.

We just had the jeep but was a couple of DP tandems towing.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer

2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
That route Busskipper posted not only comes in as the best, but realistically the only route for most people with RVs. One could consider the Durango to Silverton and the Million Dollar Hwy but for those not accustomed to high country travel, twisty narrow roads with minimal shoulders and severe drop-offs, best to take the other route and not take the MDH in your RV.

Once in Ridgway, do take a toad or rental car on the MDH to see it. Stop at the water fall overlook for a couple pictures then head up further to see the old mining sites.

Red Rocket has stated the ride on Hwy 550 well but I have to say that he has understated it. I am comfortable in the mountains but 550 gets more then challenging between Silverton and Ourray. I would be comfortable between Durango and Silverton but after that there are no guard rails, narrow road and straight drop offs of over 1,000 feet. But it is beautiful country.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One