cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rug Shampooer?

djackman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Winnebago Sighseer that has light green rugs throughout the coach. We lived in it for 3 months last summer when we made our trip to Alaska (the trip of a lifetime!). When we had our motorhome serviced last fall, we asked to have the rugs shampooed again. We would have had to bring it back at a later date and were quoted a cost of $400.00 to shampoo the rugs. No way were we paying that! I have been on the search for a small steam rug shampooer and can not find one! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I use a handheld garden sprayer with only water. Spray the carpet lightly with water and follow with a shop vac to pickup most of the water and set up a fan. Your carpet will dry very fast. If the carpet is very dirty use a LITTLE bit of Simple Green or Fabuloso in the water. Vacuum with a shop vac. If you use any kind of soap you will have to rinse with clean water to pickup the soap residue. Try clear water first and spot clean with soap if needed. You will be suprised how much cleaner you carpet will be using only water.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Thats the cure right there----Laminate floors. Mine came with a central vacuum and not a spot of carpet. Take the throw rugs up and throw them in the washer or get new ones once in awhile......Last thing I wanted was carpet.......

X2 ๐Ÿ™‚
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Hoover rug shampoo cleaner sometimes twice a year. Takes about 30-45 minutes. Picks up a lot of dirt. We also use a lot of throw rugs to help lessen the dirt. After 12 years the carpet still looks good!!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Thats the cure right there----Laminate floors. Mine came with a central vacuum and not a spot of carpet. Take the throw rugs up and throw them in the washer or get new ones once in awhile......Last thing I wanted was carpet.......

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate post somehow

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
When I replaced all of the carpet in our 2004 Sightseer with laminate I discovered that the pad they used had a plastic film laminated to the top that prevents water from getting to the sub floor.
We had it cleaned several times and rented a Rug Doctor a few times and did it ourselves.
There was no evidence of water ever reaching the sub floor (5/8 plywood)

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same type of carpet we carry a portable steam cleaner in our coach.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Stanley Steamer did a great job on my 39 foot coach and there were no where near that price. There was some special going on but I think it cost a little under $100.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Bought our carpet shampoo machine 9 years ago around $100. Been cleaning our 5er carpets ever since. Dries quickly and always amazed at how much dirt the machine picks up.

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
DW has been using a version of this for 8 years on carpet, upholstery, etc. She is a cleaning Wizard! Lightweight, stores in bay, restores carpet to like new. Also, will suck up spilled water/liquids. Great for stains, spots, etc.

Bissell Little Green Machine

It works for us.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
When we have the carpets cleaned in our house, we have the motorhome done at the same time. We use Stanley Steemer and they charge us $60.00 extra to do the motorhome.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't use a shampooer. If you ever wondered why a carpet that has been shamppoed stinks and is tiff andd dull looking it is because the dirt and shmppoer or chemicaals is still there. The Rug Doctor or the carpet cleaner you have at home will clean it and suck up the dirt and water. Only thing that concerns me is the gloors, in an RV maybe getting damp and delaminating and buckling etc. I've seen some that were constructed out of the wood chips stuff. Clean and then use a strong wet/dry vacuum and windows open and fans or closed and air conditioner and dehumidifier getting rid of moisture quick.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Stanley Steemer did a great job on our Southwind.

1963jarhead
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a 2003 sightseer with the same color carpet and we aren,t having much success either.