cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Radio

Marten_s_on_the
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2003 Monaco Monarch. I want to replace the radio with a AM/FM, CD Sirius XM unit. Has anyone done this or have suggestion?
26 REPLIES 26

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
For us, the whole point of satellite radio is it works where-ever you are, with no real reliance on streaming or OTA range. That part hasn't changed. Stored music has always been an option but we like comedy and talk radio (which is the same sometimes) regardless of where we are. It costs, but so far worth it to us.

yep IMHO free radio and free Tv are worth exactly what you pay for it.
nothing
bumpy

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
I had XM Radio for a few years on my old Mercedes and I got if for my guys in the warehouse as well. It was great for its day.

But today, there are much better options for music. As someone mentioned, there is streaming music from iHeart Radio, Pandora, Spotify, etc. if you have cell coverage and if you don't, you can always play your own music collection that easily fits on some of the larger iPhone and Android phones.

For us, the whole point of satellite radio is it works where-ever you are, with no real reliance on streaming or OTA range. That part hasn't changed. Stored music has always been an option but we like comedy and talk radio (which is the same sometimes) regardless of where we are. It costs, but so far worth it to us.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I had XM Radio for a few years on my old Mercedes and I got if for my guys in the warehouse as well. It was great for its day.

But today, there are much better options for music. As someone mentioned, there is streaming music from iHeart Radio, Pandora, Spotify, etc. if you have cell coverage and if you don't, you can always play your own music collection that easily fits on some of the larger iPhone and Android phones.

Personally, I now listen to lots of podcasts when I drive. I used to use a Bluetooth headset and listen to them through the headset, but now my new travel van has Bluetooth built into the dash radio.

With Overcast, I now listen to my podcasts at 1.25x the speed and it also eliminates all the unnecessary pauses and silent gaps so I can hear many more of my favorite episodes. It's super relaxing to listen to the programming of your choice.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
This could be a typical situation dealing with companies here in Canada. There is usually more cost and not always the same offers available as the US.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I just found out I can suspend my XM account on the MH over the winter. It will come back on automatically in April.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
Hi bumpyroad, I did have a sat. docking sets in two cars and the moho, but with my new vehicle it seems silly to go to all the trouble of wiring it in when it is already there. I will dig up all my old CDs instead. Thanks Doug

with the appropriate sirius/xm radio you can subscribe to ala-carte service and save money and avoid the yearly hassle of talking them down to a reasonable cost.
bumpy

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually it's easier than a typical car stereo to change out. Especially i you have good access behind the dash. The XM will of course need the antenna so there's that to run.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Hi bumpyroad, I did have a sat. docking sets in two cars and the moho, but with my new vehicle it seems silly to go to all the trouble of wiring it in when it is already there. I will dig up all my old CDs instead. Thanks Doug

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
I have had a Sirius xm for more than 10 years. My newer car has a built in sat. radio program. Sirius will not let me activate the car unit and let me keep my portable unit in the motorhome without paying for a second subscription. I have just cancelled it and they don't seem to care.

why not just move the portable between the vehicles and only need one subscription? that's what I do.
bumpy

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Sirius xm for more than 10 years. My newer car has a built in sat. radio program. Sirius will not let me activate the car unit and let me keep my portable unit in the motorhome without paying for a second subscription. I have just cancelled it and they don't seem to care.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got this. Powers off a lighter socket, ran the antenna wire out the same hole as the CB antenna, lets you use 6 FM channels on your radio to receive. On my old MH, I disconnected the FM antenna from the radio and never had to switch FM stations. That didn't work on the Sahara.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the radio in my RV a couple of months ago with an Alpine Stereo that has Apple Car Play. If you have a iPhone you plug it in to the radio and can use various iPhone apps on the stereo. The main one I like is the GPS function so you get an inscreen GPS unit. But you can also use iHeart radio and play music directly from your iPhone. And not only that but the unit also has AM/FM and the capability to do satellite radio it you want it, but I didn't hook mine up for that.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I just upgraded the radio on my and my RV. The car had a double din, and I put a pioneer unit with a touch screen that will do pandora, spotify, dvd/cd, bluetooth, hands free calling. I added a back up camera and could add satellite but didn't.

For the RV I got a single din unit (that is what the old unit was), real simple no cd player but does have blue tooth and a mic for hands free calling.

I spent about $300 on the car and less than 100 on the RV. Basically you can find wath you are looking for pretty easy. I did use Crutchfield and called their tech support a couple times as there were some set up issues that weren't well explained it the instructions, they are great to work with.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another thought: It might not be needed to replace the radio.

First step is to check out the radio's owner's manual.. My Damon came with a Pioneer, on the back side (under the dash) is a port called the IP-bus as I recall.. (InPut)

I can plug in a whole bunch of different things there and even daisy chain a few
Satellite Readio Module.. Yup, they made one
CD Changer.. That too
Line/Aux in (i can plug in any audio source including computer and mini-disc player) Got that as well

Cassett tape? No, they don't but I have one for my comptuer and see last item

So there is no audio source I can't feed into that radio, Even XLR Microphone (professional mics) can feed it via my Mixer/pre-amp (Which I have for other reasons) (Used to do some serious audio recording when my Daughter was performing near me).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times