cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Transport for Elderly Mom

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like your thoughts on bringing my mom from Chicago to Denver in our small Class C. She is 94 and in assisted living. Recovering from a broken leg, the cast is off, but her mobility is still limited. We are moving her to an assisted living home here in Arvada and I thought the most comfortable travel for her would be in the RV. Door to Door instead of trying to get through the airport and onto a plane. It is a 15 hour trip and I thought we would stop when she needed the bathroom etc. but otherwise drive straight through with 2 drivers. Her basic health is quite good so no worries about a heart attack or any major health issues on the road. I'm thinking she would be on the jackknife bed with a camping mattress to make her more comfortable and pillows to sit up when she wants. Is this a crazy plan? She can't believe I am planning for her to travel again!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
33 REPLIES 33

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Iamichabod, sorry I insulted your sensibilities. Mea Culpa!

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm really glad this worked out!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
cgmartine wrote:
A 15 hour drive? How many stops? Is there a one night sleep over? I think the plane would be a better idea, if she is accompanied by someone else. It will be quicker, smoother, and she will be more relaxed than bouncing around in a class C. Climbing in and out will be a task and would be more punishing than a plane cabin. Better fly!!

This is what happens when you don't read the newest posts :S
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
A 15 hour drive? How many stops? Is there a one night sleep over? I think the plane would be a better idea, if she is accompanied by someone else. It will be quicker, smoother, and she will be more relaxed than bouncing around in a class C. Climbing in and out will be a task and would be more punishing than a plane cabin. Better fly!!

ronfisherman
Good news.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that the trip to Colorado went fine, after your mom is fully recovered from the broken leg setback she will probably want to take some short trips in the RV to enjoy all there is to offer. Arvada is certainly a much better place for her than Chicago area.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Of all Mom's choices for transportation she wanted to go in the RV. The trip was great. We camped one night and she did ask if it was secure, (she has never been camping) but slept pretty well. She was able to use a stationary walker to get to the toilet and I had a handicapped chair around it so she did fine. We stopped for meals and to use the facilities, and at dark for one night, but we pretty much drove straight through all 990 miles. She was pretty exhausted when we got home tonight though. Otherwise it was a very successful trip. She was comfortable on the couch although she was in pain the first day from a procedure done on her leg, she was still interested in the scenes going by outside.
Mom really thought she was destined to spend the rest of her life rather secluded in a small facility and now she has a new home in a larger one and close to her great grandkids too. I'm hoping she loves it.
If an elder has Alzheimers they are apt to be afraid and act out on such a trip but Mom is just a bit forgetful and is always happy to make progress such as walking with the walker to the bathroom. So it was a good fit for her. Just thought I'd let everyone know it went well.
Thanks for the good wishes and prayers.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Please send her our best wishes for a speedy recovery from her broken leg and tell her we hope she has a wonderful trip, no matter which mode of transportation she chooses. 🙂

G&J
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Last year took the train to CA from Denver and it was 8 hours late. They said that commercial traffic is up so much that passenger traffic often just has to wait for the track. I like travel in general--but will have a conversation with Mom about what she thinks will work best. She is reasonably mobile and we already talked to her doctor about the move. Just have to figure out the details. Thanks for all your input, as usual very valuable.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
There are no 4 bunk roomettes. There are 2 bunk roomettes, Bedrooms, family bedroom with no toilet and HANDICAP BEDROOM which is on the lower level and wheelchair accessible with its own toilet.

Family bedroom...that is what it's called now. (After looking at the Amtrak images on line). You are right.

Also looked at the rolling time for CHI to DEN: 18 hours.
It's his Super Power!

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
My mother-in-law couldn't walk or even move much, but we still took her for short trips in our RV. She loved it. She got in by sitting on the first RV step, scooched up to the next, and so on. Then we helped lift her to the dinette, where she traveled fine. BTW, she was in her 90s when we did this.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Call airlines and ask to talk to somebody about special provisions and actual help in transporting your mom. Explain in detail about her age, healing injury, mental condition and any special needs. Get detailed information about departure, and arrival procedures. An RV trip with risk getting in, using bathroom, getting out and typical long bumpy ride on washboard interstates sounds gruesome and nerve wracking for all. What if she has unexpected symptoms en route?

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMandJM wrote:
A group of us took the California Zephyr from Chicago to Denver a number of years ago and had a four-bunk roomette or whatever they're called when they don't have a private bathroom (which apparently isn't really a room).

It was alot of fun (from what I remember)....but it was a REALLY LONG trip.

There are no 4 bunk roomettes. There are 2 bunk roomettes, Bedrooms, family bedroom with no toilet and HANDICAP BEDROOM which is on the lower level and wheelchair accessible with its own toilet.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Airlines CAN refuse to board passengers for health reasons. Not sure exactly what the guidelines are and/or if it's the same for trains.

My Aunt told me than when My Grandma wanted to fly (on a plane, of course) to Florida, the doctor wouldn't give her a note saying she was healthy enough for the trip.

Wouldn't hurt to have a doctor's note.
It's his Super Power!