cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satellite Internet Service

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been looking at a different ISP for the S&B home and a couple of the satellite providers like Hughes are interesting for my area. I starting to think that if I can use this at home why not in the MH since I already have a Dish setup.

No idea if this would work or even if it's the best option for the house...but the experts here could shed some light on the possibilities.

Thanks for any input.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
23 REPLIES 23

jimandfam
Explorer
Explorer
I had Hughes internet before ,I hated it cost a cheap load and was worthly, 4g mobile rocks.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Excede Is also NOT compatible with the RV life Though I can tell you corespondent of mine uses it to stream multiple video streams. But then he has a "Business Account"

Not quite.

While many of the ViaSat Excede antennas, like this one, are intended for ENG (Electronic News Gathering) or the military, all of them are not.

It looks like you could get one for your RV (Datasheet, 6 MB PDF, see the bottom of page 71).

These bad boys are up to 50 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up, and can be had for about $20k.

One would look great on your H3-45.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

bigdog2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a motosat dish on the motorhome. Since Hughes does not service mobile systems, we get our service through Real Time Communications. We also get Dish network with the same dish (with 2 lmb's, one for 119 & one for 110.) When we are home Real Time lets us put that system on vacation and we use dsl for internet and a stationary dish for tv. Works well for us as we have both tv & internet while traveling and while in San Felipe for the winter.
LOW net worth.........HIGH quality of life
Dudley is at the rainbow bridge
Sonney,old ,retired Roadway driver.
Donna, too young to retire, she quit.

2006 GBM Pursuit 3500 DS
2014 ram toad- toad's toad VW powered buggy

Modracer
Explorer
Explorer
We use an iphone5 on Verizon as a hot spot. (I know it doesn't work everywhere) but it is the best we have found, especially if 4G is available.
06 HR
Ambassador 38PDQ
04 Liberty

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, I tried to send this to you in a PM, but you don't allow PM's.

You need to do a little research. The last time I checked, Echo Star was the parent company of Dish TV and Echo Star did purchase Hughes Net. Hughes Net is still a stand alone company, but they are now owned by Echo Star.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deleted as incorrect.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
My HughesNet Gen 4 really sucks.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Texan wrote:
Some people do NOT understand that cell service, of any kind, is NOT available in over 20% of the United States. Sure a hot spot is great, IF you have cell service, but not worth the box it came in, if you are somewhere in that 20%+ area.

The "new" Gen 4 system is MUCH faster than the older systems and unless you have used it, do NOT lump the 2 together. We have a satellite system at the ranch in NV, because there is NO updated cell service or cable internet for us to use. We had the older Hughes Net system and now have the latest Gen 4, so I do know the difference. I would have no problem using Gen 4 here at our mountain home, if we wanted to, as the speed with it is very fast.

It is good service and it's going to be good in your mountain home. However, it's not mobile so it's of no use to an RVer.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
wallynm wrote:
Satallite

yes it can be done and look here.

You do know that Motosat went out of business, right?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer
We have the RF Mogul sat dish and system. Last year while at the little rv park closest to Zion NP, looked up at the sheer walls many hundreds feet high. Thought, "Oh well, don't need sat anyhow (sour grapes)". To my great surprise received Direct TV on first try. Friend with Dish setup and a better angle to the south couldn't get squat.

Ask me if I'm impressed with RF Mogul. (don't)

Kerry

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Sat Internet providers I know of are
Hughes classic, this is compatible with RV life, as someone up-thread says works from anywhere. With training you can easily set it up and they make automatic hardware that does all that for you. Downside is slow speeds (Low end DSL generally) and limits on bandwidthm though they do that one nicely.

Hughes new product.. I have not investigated but I suspect this is NOT rv compatible,

Excide Is also NOT compatible with the RV life Though I can tell you corespondent of mine uses it to stream multiple video streams. But then he has a "Business Account"

There used to be a company called, as i recall, Starband, do not know what happened to them but they were RV-able as well. Performance was close to Hughes Classic

And that about covers it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Motosat has gone out of business....several of the former owners/workers have formed RF Mogul in it's place.....Dennis

RF Mogul
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
Satallite

That company is out of business - hence the RIP 2013 logo on their own page, but no one said it can't be done. It's just not practical given other options available. Your link sort of proves the point. That product was almost $900. I know it cost me $700 to install it when we had sat net. My mifi was free on my VZ account and it costs about $60/month for 10 gigs on a 4g network. And I am fully aware that there are dead zones in the US. Hence why Sat net exists. But it simply cannot compete with cost, performance, or ease of use where other options exist. Sat internet is marketed towards it's target consumer - those who have no other options (cable or 3/4g). Yes I know TEXAN that there are parts of the US that do not get cellular service. Again, that is the sole reason Sat net exists. If there were 100% coverage of cellular networks Sat net would dissapear. Just like Motosat in this link.
2013 ACE 29.2

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Satallite

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy