cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seatbelt usage

JCV220
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks! I haven't posted here in a long time but this forum helped me make the decision on which fifth wheel and tow vehicle to buy many years ago and we've had lots of great times since then. The tow vehicle is getting old and I won't be buying another big truck so it's time for a change.

We're planning to buy an older class c motorhome and we're in the process of sealing the deal on one right now. It's a 2000 fourwinds.

I'll have tons of questions I'm sure but for now I'm just curious on how strict everyone is with seat belt usage? For example: would you make your teenage kids stay belted to the couch while traveling or would you let them get up and make a snack or use the bathroom? Anyone in the cab will wear their belts but what about in the house?

Just curious what the class c pros have to say on this

Thanks
Jay

The TV: 2004 Ford F250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, V10
The RV: Laredo by Keystone, 29BH
Wonderful wife
2 great kids
one spoiled English Bulldog

26 REPLIES 26

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone wears a seat belt while the Motorhome is moving. However, now that the kids are older (15 and 13), they do get up to use the bathroom and get a drink or snack.

RVs don't usually hold up well during an accident, so everyone is buckled in as much as possible.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
If you'd ever been in a wreck when wearing a seat belt, you wouldn't be asking this question.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
A friend's elderly dad was in the restroom when friend, new to RV's, lost control on a curve and rolled down an embankment. Dad wound up in the hospital and friend and family flew back home leaving wrecked RV behind. Dad recovered.

There's a lot more to safe operating and driving an RV than is generally discussed here. They are hard to see out of, hard to stop quickly, and top heavy. Don't let yokels pressure you to take curves faster than you are comfortable and don't change lanes unless you are sure there is nobody on your right in a small car or on a motorcycle. Most non-RV'ers have no idea about your blind spot. Use a GPS to plan ahead for safe merges and getting ready for off ramps.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our Bounder and the DGKs were small, they were to be buckled up when seated. And because the dinette was so da## uncomfortable, we allowed them to get up and stretch and maybe get something from the fridge, they were also allowed to lay on the beds but no potty unless we were stopped.

As they matured and so did our attitudes, it became any time the ignition was on the belts were too. We also moved from a 27' with the captains chairs up front and a very uncomfortable dinette(the only seating outside the cab with belts) to the captains chairs, dinette(pretty comfy) and a sofa(very comfy) so being seated for longer periods of time isn't so bad. Besides the advent of age has caused the need of exercise to relieve arthritis pain and the need for several stops after two cups of coffee in the morning, it gives everyone the chance to hit the head and stretch the muscles.

So now, while the rig is in motion the captain is the only person allowed to get up and use the potty. Don't want to burn daylight with rest breaks and the CC works right? It's sort of like; I don't allow anyone else to sleep while I'm driving.

Hopefully, Humor can be a very subtle way of pointing out the importance of using common sense.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I don't use a seat belt and don't require it for teens,"

Seriously???

:S

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use a seat belt and don't require it for teens, BUT no one will walk around while I am driving. Children stay belted and we use car seats as the law requires.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Greydennyhawk wrote:
If someone needs the bathroom, I will allow it if I am on a secondary road, but on a highway, we always stop for a break. false sense of security, not realizing how much motion was in the coach.
So now, it's always safety first!!

I am more in favor of yes if on a highway, right of two lanes, no traffic, than on secondary roads where you don't know what is coming up.
and as far as motion, try the "authentic" oriental potties on a train in Japan. 🙂
If allowing it in a moving RV, one should have worked out a "safe word" that the driver can scream indicating that the passenger should hit the deck immediately.
bumpy

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
If one thinks a seat belt is uncomfortable ... one should try a stretcher.

Let's see now..

Rocketing down the highway inside a cocoon surrounded by many thousands of pounds of steel, plastic, glass and fuel? :h

Just sayin'.
Ray

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure you know the legal requirements in your state as they are basically the same as a car. Having said that, if seated and belts are available by all means use them. Getting up for a quick snack is fine with me. If someone needs to use the bathroom, pull over at a safe place. More than just safety dictates not to let teenage boys use the bathroom in a moving vehicle!
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
JCV220 wrote:
For example: would you make your teenage kids stay belted to the couch while traveling or would you let them get up and make a snack or use the bathroom?

Just like the airlines: If you are sitting down the belt must be buckled. And you should be sitting most of the time.

In addition to their own safety, 150 pound objects flying forward and hitting the people in the cab can do them serious damage in a crash and having their belts buckled won't help with that.

Edit: I like Denny's answer better.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
We always used the couch and also the dinette seat belts in our RV s. If someone needs the bathroom, I will allow it if I am on a secondary road, but on a highway, we always stop for a break. Same with snacks.
Once when driving, they went to grab a soda, and a casserole came flying out of the refrigerator!
The beagle had a field day with that lasagna!!
Also, aunt Patty once hit the can, and later, bumped her head, with a false sense of security, not realizing how much motion was in the coach.
So now, it's always safety first!!
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a Class C pro but think it is totally irresponsible for a parent to allow their children, or anybody else, sit un-belted in a RV. In Ohio I worked at a location on "crash corner" seemed like a magnet for car crashes and frequently some victim would come in to use the phone, etc. My comment was that they should sue the seat belt manufacturer if they got hurt. by the looks on their faces it was obvious they hadn't had them fastened.
I don't care if adults don't fasten theirs, as that is part of Darwin's theory, but to subject their kids to that is criminal.
that is one of the reasons I got turned off by one Travato model, only two seatbelts.
bumpy