cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sell or trade?

WRBD88
Explorer
Explorer
Which is the best way to go..sell privately or trade?
Wilma

2003 Monaco Lapalma 34'6"
Workhorse
2006 Saturn SUV Toad
Just us,no kids, no pets
Husband Ret. LTC AF
31 REPLIES 31

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster Man wrote:
Executive wrote:
...You'll usually get more selling privately. That said, it's much easier to trade it...

True. Much harder to sell an RV than a car. You have a very limited group interested in buying, plus the higher price.

The '10 yr.' loan rule also made me want to sell our 2008 Monaco within that period of time (sold at 7.5 yrs. old). I felt we would get a better price for it if there were finance companies willing to loan on it.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
The dealer offered me a ton of money for my trade in. He also wanted a ton of money for his coach. The ONLY REAL number is the DIFFERENCE between the two....Dennis

Polonius said "brevity is the soul of wit". You managed to say in one sentence what I said in a paragraph! ๐Ÿ™‚
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
...You'll usually get more selling privately. That said, it's much easier to trade it...

True. Much harder to sell an RV than a car. You have a very limited group interested in buying, plus the higher price.
2014 American Eagle

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
JFC wrote:
Come on guys, you're making assumptions without facts. As I said, I've done it many times and just verified the facts with the last contract. Why don't you call a CA dealer and ask about the law. I'd love some way to recover the taxes, especially the ones on the last coach purchased.

My apologies. Apparently in California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana or Washington, D.C., this is the case. So, you pay the sales tax on the full price of the vehicle when you buy it, you don't get part of that back when you trade it in, and the person that buys your trade-in also pays sales tax.

Life in a blue state.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Strongly suggest consignment. Worked great for me.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The dealer offered me a ton of money for my trade in. He also wanted a ton of money for his coach. The ONLY REAL number is the DIFFERENCE between the two....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
From the California board of equalization web site concerning taxes on cars and trades.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqpurch.htm#9

Are trade-ins taxable?

Yes. The value of a trade-in is considered taxable. For example, if you sold a car for $20,000 and accepted a trade-in valued at $4,000 as partial payment, tax would be based on the $20,000 selling price (that is, you would not deduct the value of the trade-in from the sales price of the car being sold when computing sales tax).

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Ok, so when you bought the first of your "couple of dozen cars" in California, you paid sales tax. When you traded it, you paid sales tax on the purchase price of the new vehicle, not deducting the trade in value. That means you paid tax twice on the first vehicle.

Now, I haven't lived in CA for 40 years, but I have to believe that all the Californians that think this is OK have already moved to Oregon.

Bry - looks like a battle of wits with an unarmed man...

Come on guys, you're making assumptions without facts. As I said, I've done it many times and just verified the facts with the last contract. Why don't you call a CA dealer and ask about the law. I'd love some way to recover the taxes, especially the ones on the last coach purchased.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, so when you bought the first of your "couple of dozen cars" in California, you paid sales tax. When you traded it, you paid sales tax on the purchase price of the new vehicle, not deducting the trade in value. That means you paid tax twice on the first vehicle.

Now, I haven't lived in CA for 40 years, but I have to believe that all the Californians that think this is OK have already moved to Oregon.

Bry - looks like a battle of wits with an unarmed man...
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
1BryNelson wrote:
JFC wrote:
I hate to do private sales, so my last two coaches have been trade in the old one. My negotiations are always just "how large a check do I need to write to get the new coach". I know how much I'm willing to pay so the dealer can structure the deal any way he wants as far as price and trade value as long as the difference is acceptable. In California sales tax is calculated on the purchase price and not the difference between sales price and trade, so a lower sales price with a lower trade is a selling point.

I really hate to argue but ignorance infuriates me. Sales tax in CA is calculated by the difference of selling price less trade-in. Period. Selling price has nothing to do with it; it's the difference that gets taxed. ....

Wow, I've only bought a couple of dozen cars (most with trades)and three coaches in California, the last two coaches with trades.In every case, the tax is calculated on the cash price of the purchase BEFORE deducting for the trade.I just went back and re-read the sales contract for my last coach and it's right there. I guess I've been over paying taxes for decades.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
When its time to trade for a new a RV I first see what the big discounters are pricing the model I want. This typically is way below "retail". I then check average wholesale book and above average book. I offer the dealer the cash difference between my high book and their coach at the discounters price. If that doesn't work I offer the cash difference between my coach's average book value vs the discounted price. With no need to finance the cash offer, its really hard for a dealer to say no. The last time, 2 days after I left, the dealers sales manager made one more try over the phone to get more, and when I said no again, he said bring your money we have a deal. The dealers often have "hidden money" in the form of factory incentives to play with. It pays not accept their first "deal". But you also have to be realistic about the depreciated value of your trade in. I focus more on the cash difference than what my trade is worth or what the new coach list price is. I don't care if the actual sales contract shows list price vs an inflated trade in allowance because I have done my homework in advance. Most of us probably got hammered on our first new car or rv but it shouldn't happen twice!
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can take the time to drive your RV to Houston, put it on consignment at PPL. They move RVs fast. We sold ours in October after one month. A party flew in from Florida to buy it. We named the price, not PPL. We sold it at our price, not PPLs. All they do is to give it a home and do the paperwork. It was so easy.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Consignment would seem the best option, assuming you can afford to buy the new one before the old one sells (I couldn't, not many could)

Being without a motorhome while mine sits in a consignment lot would not be an option.

I've no problem with private sales, do a lot of craiglist for cars and household items in both directions. Biggest was a car I sold for 25k. Getting the money (from a Canadian buyer!) was tricky, but not terrible. He had no problem delaying pickup until I was certain I had been paid.

The hundred K from a motorhome like ours, moving that kinda money boggles the mind. Much easier to drive to the dealer and swap keys!
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I always suggest selling the previous one before buying the next one. Unfortunately I don't practice what I preach. I had 2 boats for a year before selling the first one and now I have done it again for the 4th. time on another motorhome. I have my Newmar and also a Roadtrek. My daughter calls me a "slow learner".
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford