Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer hose length and support recommendation

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

For a 45 coach what length of sewer hose would you recommend? Also, what brand of hose and support do you recommend?

Thanks,

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
33 REPLIES 33

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
Hi all,

For a 45 coach what length of sewer hose would you recommend? Also, what brand of hose and support do you recommend?

Thanks,

Stuart

A lot of interesting info - in thirty plus years of RV'ing I have found that the most used hose is the 6' one that will connect to the connection that is usually set very near the rear tire of the Coach (also the sewer dump) - I have never used anything to elevate the hose -- after more than 30 years in the Utility business -- Water runs to the lowest point, it is really lazy, so when you are ready to leave just flush everything and lift the hose -- then dump the grey water to clean it and move on. I do also carry a 10' extension along with a 20'one(ususlly just stays in the box), these usually dry rot before they have been used much. Good tight connections and smart use of the grey water will make this process much easier.JMHO I have watched every type of glove, system etc, and have found that soap and water really do work.

After many years of playing with and learning from only once did I feel the need for more than I had -- and I just moved the coach to dump the black tank -- Forgot to mention I carry a couple of hose to sewer adapters and 25' of BLACK water hose that I use for grey when needed. 6+10+20 +25 Takes care of everything I need.

After reading you second post I think you have it figured out -- just wait and get it if and when, you need it.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:

I went with a Polychute sewer hose (+ the extension hose) - RV Doctor Review.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

jrlebaron
Explorer
Explorer
I just recently switched to rino flex 15, 10, and 5. One of the best things i've done. Great for storgage.
Forrest River 2008 Berkshire 360QS
Mercedes Powered
Blue Ox tow bar attached to 2013 Chevy Equinox
In wine there's wisdom-in beer there's freedom-in
water there's bacteria. It's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of S***.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
S-n-L wrote:
Thanks everyone,

If you do have a macerator and use the small diameter hose, do you use a suspension device to elevate the hose or just lay it on the ground? Also, with a macerator does the gray water drain from the small diamter hose as well as the black water?

Stuart

I just run mine on the ground. I only run out just enough to reach the sewer opening and leave the rest inside the mh's compartment.

Yes, the gray comes out the same hose.

My mh's two tanks are connected together with a "Y" and each tank has it's own gate valve. initially, I'll open the gray first, push the macerator start button, and watch the clear connector that I have connected to the "Y" to make sure I have a good flow. I'll then close the gray, and open the black. Once the black is empty, I leave the black open and then open the gray for about 15 seconds to allow water to flow from the gray to the black. I close the gray and empty the black once more. I do this several times until nothing but clear water is coming out of the black. I then close the black and open the gray and empty what is left in there. This also cleans out all the hoses and the macerator.

The macerator also has a gray water by-pass feature that if you want you can leave the gray tank gate valve open, and the gray tank will drain. This comes in handy if you have a washer/dryer.

Using the macerator does add a little more time to the process, but the ease of operation, not having to handle and store the stinky slinky, and cleaning the black take with the gray water is more than worth the few extra minutes. Another downside to the macerator is the unit's impeller. Over time and use, it will break off some of the little flappers and degrade the pumping action. Once a year, I remove the pump, clean it out, and replace the impeller. All part of my winterization process.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone,

Our Moho will have a macerator. I will wait to buy anything until I pick the unit up. Buying used from a dealer I know it will have some of this equipment already on board. If I do not like what is there I will replace with the recommendations I have seen here.

If you do have a macerator and use the small diameter hose, do you use a suspension device to elevate the hose or just lay it on the ground? Also, with a macerator does the gray water drain from the small diamter hose as well as the black water?

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
We try to travel about half the time and dry camp a large portion of that resulting in significant importance paid to black and grey inventory. The wife manages the books (gas debit card selection) and I manage the waste water. Discussion about either is serious and if I need to go from 5 days between dumps to 8 having her full buy-in to water conservation is critical.
In our class a the first indication of over filling the grey water tank is a rise of water in the shower stall. Using a flash lite you can look down the toilet and verify remaining space. Level gauges are not reliable enough due to fouling service.
My concern for fastidious went away a long time ago with the midnight diaper changing shift for the three kids. Cloth diapers!!!! A good clean water flush and some chlorox goes a long way in cleaning up after a dump.
Rhinoflex and a plastic support system to get the gravity right is what I use. I also carry a spare sewer cap because I understand that the DPS can issue a citation for not having in place and I do not want to be knowingly without. I use a 1 foot clear hard plastic extender for the first segment of hose off the coach fitting because the fitting is a stretch reach under the rv and it is easier to get a solid connection. The storage locker for the dump equipment does get a chlorox wash down each time we return to home base.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Devonm2012 wrote:

Not a Rhino fan. They are very expensive and, after two uses, ours leaked like crazy and went in the trash.
I only know one that is better than Rhinoflex, and if expense is a issue, we don't even want to go there. But if you think Rhinoflex is expensive, just check out the polycute drainmaster!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
IMO, Executive has the only real good answer here. If you don't have a Macerator, you should get one. They are small, easy to handle, very little storage, and work at the simple touch of a button. The hose is only about an inch in diameter, coils up to less than 1 sq ft of floor space, extends to almost 30 feet and with the simple addition of a length of garden hose for further distance, can be pumped up hill, sealed with a simple little cap when not in use so no need to remove, clean out and store, can be permanently installed, and uses suction to remove everything from the black tank (no gravity required).

I can't believe all of those who still use a stinky slinky. They are so outdated, dirty, hard to handle/support, take up lots of storage, difficult to clean out, smelly, gravity operation required, and just make the whole process that much more difficult and unnecessary. ugh!

I have both, and use both. If pumping to a tote tank in my pickup truck bed, I use the macerator pump.

However, the sewage hose isn't too difficult. Get it out of the plastic tub, screw 90 degree fitting into the dump hole, twist hose onto that, open cap, twist hose onto the dump port on the TT, let a little bit of grey water out to check for leaks, let black tank rip, let grey tank rip, "walk" any excess to the dump port, close valves, disconnect hose, disconnect fittings, put caps back on, done. There might be a couple drops of grey water when disconnecting the hose, but that's basically it. It almost takes longer to write up how to do it than to let fly.

Where I see people make messes with sewer hoses are using cheap hoses (I've been happy so far with the Valterra "Dominator" house), not using a 90 degree fitting (sticking the hose directly down is asking for blowback), connections that are not tight, and storing the hose in the bumper. Good hoses will not fit there.

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
IMO, Executive has the only real good answer here. If you don't have a Macerator, you should get one. They are small, easy to handle, very little storage, and work at the simple touch of a button. The hose is only about an inch in diameter, coils up to less than 1 sq ft of floor space, extends to almost 30 feet and with the simple addition of a length of garden hose for further distance, can be pumped up hill, sealed with a simple little cap when not in use so no need to remove, clean out and store, can be permanently installed, and uses suction to remove everything from the black tank (no gravity required).

I can't believe all of those who still use a stinky slinky. They are so outdated, dirty, hard to handle/support, take up lots of storage, difficult to clean out, smelly, gravity operation required, and just make the whole process that much more difficult and unnecessary. ugh!

We had a macerator added when we ordered our coach, but we never use it. First, the way the water compartment is designed I can't figure out how to get the drainage connected and allow the macerator hose to go out the opening so I can still close the compartment. The sewer connection just leaks, etc., so I don't use it. Was a waste of money, for us anyway.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
traveylin wrote:
The really pertinent questions is do you wear plastic gloves when hooking up and take down. Do you use your fresh water hose to flush the dump hose. Have you ever,ever dumped black water to the ground surface. Did you ever back flow black water into the grey water tank for that extra little bit of hold capacity. Have you forgotten to close the valves before putting the cap back on and dropped a couple gallons under the rv next time you dump. How do you wash your shoes after a dump.
The answers to the above can describe wither you are an occasional rver or full time traveler

FW hose? Never. I have two hoses marked "DO NOT DRINK/NOT FOR POTABLE WATER". One is just for flushing out my macerator pump or slinky. Both ends of the hose used for flushing have anti-siphon valves to minimize the chance of contamination. The other hose is the poop hose and even though I don't have to, I do run some bleach through it just so it doesn't become a mini septic tank. It is well marked, and when not in use, is capped at both ends, and stored in its own tub.

Black water onto the ground surface? Before I bought my rig, I was looking used and one prospective seller was caught by the Texas DPS doing that (in fact, he had a remote control relay so he could open the tank valves while driving.) He got a $3500 fine, and he was lucky he didn't wind up in the pokey. Definitely not something I'd want to do. Plus, it is a very repugnant act, because it is a good excuse for places to get overnighting banned from cities/counties.

Backflow black water into grey water? No need, because my current TT has a big BW tank, so it might have 10-15 gallons (1/2 capacity) when my grey tank fills up, and that is including the 3-5 gallons I "pre-charge" the tank with as insurance against the dreaded pyramid. I've backflowed grey water into the black water tank fairly often when using my macerator pump, as it does a good job at rinsing the tank out.

Part of my checklist is making sure all valves are in and the cap on. I run through it twice before I head off.

As for washing shoes, I use some bleach wipes on them and the rubber gloves, toss the wipe, then toss the gloves in the plastic tub.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
We use a 20' hose with graduated support (like those pictured in previous posts) that we bought from Campco. Like everyone else is saying, the hose needs to be long enough to reach from your coach to the sewer receptacle.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
traveylin wrote:
The really pertinent questions is do you wear plastic gloves when hooking up and take down. Do you use your fresh water hose to flush the dump hose. Have you ever,ever dumped black water to the ground surface. Did you ever back flow black water into the grey water tank for that extra little bit of hold capacity. Have you forgotten to close the valves before putting the cap back on and dropped a couple gallons under the rv next time you dump. How do you wash your shoes after a dump.
The answers to the above can describe wither you are an occasional rver or full time traveler

Not sure what bearing this has on being a fulltime traveler or not, as we are fulltimers, but here are my answers:

* Yes, I always wear gloves. To set up, tear down, to pump diesel, etc. Am sure to always handle the fresh water hose first, so the gloves are clean.

* No, I do not use the fresh water hose to rinse the sewer hose. I carry a separate hose for that.

* No, I have not dumped black water on the ground.

* No, I do not share the storage tanks, as we always have full hookup so there is no need.

* No, I have not forgotten to close the valve before removing the cap.

* I also wear shoe covers if I am ever wearing shoes outside that will ever be worn inside. I have horrible allergies and do not want to track the allergens inside.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Key West in November and learned the hard way. The sewer hook up was at the front corner of the lot, went to Home Depot and bought enough for the full length. It's light and can be useful.