Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sewer Solution

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends,
I am a 74 yr. old widow who needs to find a better way to empty a 2004 Roadtrek. I just found "Sewer Solution" (see Camping World) and it looks like a good way to install an inexpensive way to empty the tanks.

Has anyone with a Roadtrek used this method?

Do you have pictures?

Please write with pros and cons. Thank you.

Jean
47 REPLIES 47

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer
Since I usually camp at a state park just 25 miles away and am retired, I go midweek when there aren't many camping and dumping. I don't see much problem with dumping and holding anyone up when using the SS. I could use a second back flow preventer at the pipe as suggested. Plus, if there is a line waiting to dump, I would just go home and dump the camper there. Since I am not only a widow, but have also had a knee replacement, using the drain as it came on the 2004 Roadtrek would be extremely difficult and I can't afford an installed macerator. The SS would be a simple and inexpensive "solution" to my continued camping. I don't think I can continue camping with the Roadtrek as it is now.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a Sewer Solutions exclusivly for dumping at home. Now I don't have to hunt down a dump station if staying somewhere without one, or I can bypass the long line at the end of the weekend. I just go home and take care of it at my convenience. It has also helped imensly with my aunt who had to live with us this summer because she broke her kneecap. It allowed her to use the TT as her cottage with full amenities except the shower, and I just had to take out the SS every so often instead of hooking up the TT and draging to the nearest dump station. The SS works as well as it says. I run mine through the 10 ft of hose, 60ft of 1" pvc with the last 10ft rising 40" to the washer stand pipe in the garage. Took about 10 minutes total to empty my black and grey tanks.

If I am at a FHU site, I just use the slinky. If there is a open dump station, I use the slinky, but my outlet is a foot off the ground and the tanks higher so I don't have a gravity problem. I currently am just doing weekend trips, but even on a longer one, I don't plan to take the SS.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The Sewer Solution comes with a vacuum breaker back flow preventer. I've read where an individual also uses another back flow preventer at the water source end as well. When using a vacuum breaker it is important to turn on the water rapidly and to high pressure and conversely when turning the water off do so rapidly. Allowing gradual slow flow or weak pressure does not allow the device to work properly.

I also keep a spray bottle with a bleach solution to spray down things which might become contaminated, and certainly should be used to spray down a campground water service before you hook up.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using a "water Thief" on those cut-off hoses at sani stations, i trust you are also hooking up an adequate backflow preventer!! The reason they are cut off, is to try & prevent bacteria from getting into the potable water supply & contaminating it. When you even touch the hose to your black water fittings, it is contaminated, so be careful with this aspect.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I am somewhat amused at these folks who claim that the sewer solution uses too much water, evidently have no problem with those using those silly back flush jobbies and backfill their black tank 3-4 times to make the final rinse. and that takes much longer than 5 minutes.
but I never considered black tank flushing to be a race or speeding event. that is why every third night or so I got a FHU site and could use my sewer solution or macerator pump at my convenience.
bumpy

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrekker2 wrote:
To daveydd:

As I said in a former post, I would be sure that there is no one waiting for me to do this procedure - dump in the morning when no one is around waiting. My husband always had a terrible time getting the last stuff out of the hose - milk, milk, milk to get it all out so the cotter pin could be engaged, and I certainly don't want to do that (especially with a knee replacement) - it always took a long time with the stinky slinky, plus it was really messy. If all else fails, I can do this at home in my basement, but I hope to do some traveling, so need an economical way to dump my tanks. This is a reasonable solution.

Maybe what you don't understand is you have to make the exact same connection with a Sewer Solution to the 3" diameter outlet low down exactly as you would to connect a slinky hose. Then you would have to figure out how to get water to it. Most public dump stations have cutoff end hoses that hang down. To get to the connection that you can connect your own hose to you might need a ladder since so many are the hang down type with a cutoff end. I'm not concerned about waiting in line. As soon as you start to dump several others will be backed up behind you. Can you do it all in 5 minutes as with a slinky? Doubtful. Those are the people you will P off. Like I said, it is good for a full hook up campsite or at home as you desire but not at a public dump station.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:
Davydd wrote:
The Sewer Solution is only practical at a full hookup electric, sewer and water campsite. It would be useless at most dump stations that generally only provide a water hose for rinsing without a connection on the end of the hose.
I wonder why this would be the case? I use the Sewer Solution at dump stations and have never come across one that will not accommodate it use. Most have water available with a threaded end at the spigot or water wand end and those that don't can be attached to with a Water Thief and hose clamp.

To set up a Sewer Solution and the time it takes might piss a few people off waiting at a public dump station. It would me considering that if you are connecting to a 3" outlet why don't you just use a slinky?

Agree with Davydd. I'd use a FHU site if possible. I sometimes even do that with my slinky to avoid joining in on all the dump station revelry. If there's no line we can be in and out of the dump station in less than 5 minutes but............... it's just not our favorite place to spend quality time.
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer
I agree!! 🙂

Jean

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
It takes me little more time to connect the Sewer Solution than a 3" hose. It does take a little more time to dump with the Sewer Solution but I can set up, dump black and grey tanks, reverse the SS nozzle and flush the black tank, take down and put it away in less time than someone dumping a Class A with a stinky slinky. I've waited for my time to dump in line and while I don't dally, I am going to take the time it takes for me to do my business, just like in the men's room. And there is nothing rude or inconsiderate about that.
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer
To daveydd:

As I said in a former post, I would be sure that there is no one waiting for me to do this procedure - dump in the morning when no one is around waiting. My husband always had a terrible time getting the last stuff out of the hose - milk, milk, milk to get it all out so the cotter pin could be engaged, and I certainly don't want to do that (especially with a knee replacement) - it always took a long time with the stinky slinky, plus it was really messy. If all else fails, I can do this at home in my basement, but I hope to do some traveling, so need an economical way to dump my tanks. This is a reasonable solution.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
It would me considering that if you are connecting to a 3" outlet why don't you just use a slinky?

cause slinky are stinky.
at least that and the horrible mess, cleaning to put away and having the last cup of "stuff" drip on your shoes, etc.
bumpy

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
Davydd wrote:
The Sewer Solution is only practical at a full hookup electric, sewer and water campsite. It would be useless at most dump stations that generally only provide a water hose for rinsing without a connection on the end of the hose.
I wonder why this would be the case? I use the Sewer Solution at dump stations and have never come across one that will not accommodate it use. Most have water available with a threaded end at the spigot or water wand end and those that don't can be attached to with a Water Thief and hose clamp.

To set up a Sewer Solution and the time it takes might piss a few people off waiting at a public dump station. It would me considering that if you are connecting to a 3" outlet why don't you just use a slinky?
Davydd

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that insight! That is exactly what I've been thinking and why I'm going to give Sewer Solution a try. In the event that I can't find a threaded end, I'm getting a water thief as an alternative. Plus, I know I can always dump at home if all else fails.

Appreciate your input!

🙂 Jean

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd