cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

shocks

dallen54200
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings to all. I need new shocks. I have a 40 foot Alfa Gold on a Freightliner chassis. What do you suggest?
Dave and Sarah
2006 Alfa See Ya Gold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4 Door toad
11 REPLIES 11

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Remeber a shock is a dampening device. It can make the ride harsher or softer than it has to be, but it is the springs that hold the weight, and the springs that really determine the ride.

Only as related to the weight they are actually carrying, stiff spring = stiff ride.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F53 chassis and I travel light, by that I mean I am no where near the capacity of the chassis. I have had at one time or another OEM Bilsteins(original), Monroe Magnums, Koni FSD's and now the Comfort's from Bilstein(and this is all within 6 years). After 3K trip this summer, I believe the best ride and control, for me any way is provided by the Comfort's. With a different chassis and load your mileage will vary. I have found that there is no best answer to the question, as some would have you believe.

Forgot to add: I have a friend with a F53 w/tag and he swears by KYB adjustables, GO FIGURE. :B
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm also looking at new shocks and the FSD's were highly recommended as the best choice...at least for the Beaver. Yep, they are spendy especially when you need 8 of them.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

CaptainJack51
Explorer
Explorer
I have Koni-FDS's on my 05 Allegro Bus (Freightliner XC chassie), they provide an excellent ride and stability, would not have anything else.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I bought new Bilsteins (gas shock) last fall so far there doing the job and I'm pleased! We will see what the future brings? My old shocks were Monroes and I don't have anything good to say about them except I'm glad Jim is having good luck with his! I must of had one of those Monroe sets that were made at the factory on a late Friday afternoon!

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Koni fsd's are very good, also very expensive.
The comfortride bilstiens are nice.
Old style adjustable koni's tend to be harsh, as do old style bilstiens.
Monroes are said to be crap, but at 5 years old and 40k, ours are just fine and I am not even thinking of replacing them.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
RFCN2 wrote:
What did your coach come with new? Those might be the best.

Guess I'll have to disagree with that one. While some high end manufacturers choose high end shocks, many chassis have their shock choices made by the bean counters or go with corporate partners.

So, the OE MAY be the best shock available for your chassis/coach, but it could also be a much less expensive/much less desirable one.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
viajante wrote:
Koni FSDs are better........... in my opinion.

Agree that Koni's are good...Koni FSD's helped the ride on my Freightliner chassis when I replaced the original equipment shocks.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
What did your coach come with new? Those might be the best.

Mine came with Koni. The fronts have 112,000 miles on them and work flawlessly. I replaced the rears earlier this year. The Koni's work well. I had Bilsien on my previous motor home and they worked well too.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Koni FSDs are better........... in my opinion.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bilstein is a good brand.