cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sprinter 3500 chasis in cross winds and general stability

jcahill25
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about a used Pleasureway sprinter with a 3500 chassis. I live in a very windy area and stability in wind is a major priority for me. Any feedback on handling, especially in wind would be appreciated.

I think the next sprinter model will have cross wind assist, at least in the 2500 chassis but I'm looking at some late model used ones.

Specifically thinking of Ascent and Plateau TS models on a splinter chassis.

Thanks

Janet
18 REPLIES 18

colmsted44
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently re-upped on RV.net. I have a 2005 LTV Sprinter with 162000 miles on it (Alaska once, Canada 3X, and all over the US. It is marvelously stable and comfortable (up to 16 hour days behind the wheel). I agree with the 65 psi front, 80 psi rear with 60 to 80 pounds in the rear air bags. It handles well in crosswinds but you do need to make tacking corrections.

shfd739
Explorer
Explorer
Im a few days late replying to this but figured Id add my Sprinter experience.

The ambulance company I work for has switched to only Sprinters for our van units for the last 5 years or so. Ive driven them in all the weather that central Texas has thrown at us in that time and I love how they drive.

They handle great even in high cross winds.They havnt felt tippy at all whereas every Ford and Chevy van Ive driven feel incredibly top heavy and unstable. Ive seen a video of a Sprinter taken thru an accident avoidance course and around a skid pad with 55gal drums of water hanging from the ceiling and the Sprinter computer kept it in control and stable.

These vans are also super comfortable. Ive spent upwards of 12hrs in them at a stretch and never had an issue. The seats are adjustable in so many ways that it was easy to adjust to suit me.

If I could afford it we'd have a Sprinter B van in the driveway.
'17 Shadow Cruiser 240BHS
'08 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
โ€˜07 NBS Silverado 2500 Dmax

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
We got caught in our 3500 in winds that were knocking down trees and flipping big rigs. We did have to slow to 55 mph but it was a much better drive than expected. We ended up looking like an army camflouge unit since big tumbleweeds got snagged on the roof - didn't realize it until we stopped for gas several hours later.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
We have 10 years experience and 125K miles with our 2005 LTV 2500 Sprinter RV. We have the rear air bag boost that I keep at 60PSI and we run 65/80 PSI in tires front/rear as recommended by LTV for our conversion. We have crisscrossed the US and Canada and been to Alaska twice driving in all kinds of wind/mountain/road conditions.

I can honestly say that our Sprinter is a worthy travel vehicle. I've never felt uneasy driving it in anything we have encountered. And I find it as good as if not better than any auto we have had for driving comfort on the road. As satisfied as we are with our 2500, I can only speculate that the 3500 can only be better as far as handling is concerned.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Davydd!
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
The 3500 Sprinter recommendation is to load all tires equally. Four tires on the back does not require loading to the max of 80 lbs.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Davenberta wrote:
I'm the proud new owner of a 2015 (2014.5 MB) 3500 Leisure Travel Van FS-22. Just went to a Texas dealer where we purchased it and drove to California, about 2,000 miles. This our first experience with a motorized RV, we've had lots of trailers, tent trailers etc.

I'm really enjoying the rig, handling has been stable and comfortable, corners well but the wind does require me to pay attention and make corrections. I'm running the recommended 61 lbs. of pressure in all 6 tires. I'm thinking of upping that, max is 80 psi. I would appreciate your experience and opinions. Thanks

I am concerned that you are using 61 psi on ALL tires. Your rear end load is heavier and you need to ensure pressure is as per noted on your door jamb. I would try 55 psi front and at least/at least 70 to 75 psi rear. I have 55 front and 80 rear and my rig tracks great even in the wind and on winding roads.
al

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
oop's! Yes, twenty one feet long, and @9' high at AC unit...

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
ffjeff: my gawd you have a REALLY tall rv at 21'. Maybe the tallest I've ever heard of. Seriously, I never thought about having full or fuller tanks like the gas,propane, gray, black and water tanks to provide a lower center of gravity and a more stable ride in inclement weather. When the need arises I'm going to try it cause it makes sense.

Davenberta
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the proud new owner of a 2015 (2014.5 MB) 3500 Leisure Travel Van FS-22. Just went to a Texas dealer where we purchased it and drove to California, about 2,000 miles. This our first experience with a motorized RV, we've had lots of trailers, tent trailers etc.

I'm really enjoying the rig, handling has been stable and comfortable, corners well but the wind does require me to pay attention and make corrections. I'm running the recommended 61 lbs. of pressure in all 6 tires. I'm thinking of upping that, max is 80 psi. I would appreciate your experience and opinions. Thanks

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
It's the 21' High roof. If the shorter Sprinters were available when we bought ours, I would have opted for the shorter one. But I am very happy with our decision. It is very nice to drive and handles well on mountain roads as well.

jcahill25
Explorer
Explorer
ffjeff - that is encouraging - is your rig a high roof? What is the length of your chassis? I'm wondering if longer sprinters are better than shorter ones in holding the road in wind.

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 2500 sprinter and in CA on I-5 the winds were so severe that tractor trailers were blown over and our TV antenna bend backward from the wind,
besides having to slow down to 55 the van was fine to handle. I assume that was due to the fuel tank, water tank and propane adding lower mass, kind of like a sailboat.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
I keep the front tire pressure at 55 and rear at 80 and rear air bags at 60 and I never have had a problem with oversteer in the wind with my 2500 Sprinter PW Plateau TS. The 3500 with dualies should be just as good if not better. I think a lot of the problems encountered are due to tire pressures. With only 55 psi up front it will understeer and with 60 I see oversteer. Sprinters do well in cross winds due to MB nannies which you don't get on E350 E450 suspensions to the same degree as Mercedes inhibits the effects of cross winds.