cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting from scratch! Which model of van do you recommend?

Clinto
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just joined the site, and I have a basic (but important) question. I'm at the very beginning of buying a class B van and converting it into a simple camping and road trip vehicle.

I don't plan to install kitchenette or shower or anything like that. It will be a passenger van a lot of the time - taking kids to soccer games, etc. When we go on camping trips, we'll just load gear into the back of the van - including tents & sleeping bags. I plan to have bench seats in back that can fold down to make beds. We'll use the fold-down seats as beds occasionally, but usually will use tents for camping.

I'm looking for advice on which model of van to start with. I plan to buy a new van, and then have it converted. I am thinking about the long wheelbase, high-roof version of one of these models:
โ€ข Mercedes Sprinter
โ€ข Dodge Promaster
โ€ข Ford Transit
โ€ข Nissan NV (but not sure if they have a long wheelbase model)

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for posting this, but if it is, here are the questions (or advice i'm looking for):

Which of these is best for reliability? I.e. frequency of repairs? Cost of repairs? Ease of finding qualified repair centers?

Do you have any comments on comfort (for driver and passengers)? I want a van that is very comfortable for long road trips.

And, finally, I would appreciate any general comments or recommendations on selection of a new van for a conversion.

Thanks!
Clint
53 REPLIES 53

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
BTW, when I bought my last van, I was offered a deal on a new E-150 8-passenger van ($38,000 on X plan, down from $45K MSRP) but chose to buy a 6 month old ex-rental 12 passenger van with 19,000 miles for $22,000. Took out the back seat to make it an 8 passenger.

You will find these deals on whatever is being used by rental companies, most of whom do not title the vehicles during the short period they use them, so you become the first "owner."

I don't know about Sprinters, Transits, ProMasters in the ex-lease or ex-rental market, but the Fords and Chevys used to take huge depreciation hits in that first year, because the secondary market is small and frugal, mostly institutional buyers or very large families with lower incomes.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Vans in general have been used pretty hard, especially the panel vans. Might be hard to find a good one.
A nice option might be to buy a new Transit Van and take it to Sports Mobile for the things you can't do your self.

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clinto wrote:

I read a few reviews of 2015 Transits and Sprinters. I was expecting Mercedes to have the better reviews (because of the brand's reputation and because of the price), but based on the reviews I read, the Sprinter looked to be better. I'm going to read more reviews, and check Chevy van reviews too.

The only problem with the Chevy is a high roof won't give you 6' standing room inside. Roadtrek is able to do it by lowering the interior floor. On the Transit, you don't have to lower the floor.

FYI: These people will do a van conversion to a camper for $6,500.
http://www.floridarvdeals.com/rv-builder

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

Clinto
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks again! I've been saving nickels and dimes for quite awhile and have built up enough savings to allow me to afford a new vehicle - so that's where my thoughts have been directed. I hadn't thought much about a used vehicle until Paul mentioned it. That could save me a chunk of money so I would have more remaining to pay for the conversion. If I want to explore the "used option" can anybody recommend a good place to look? (Auto Trader?)

I read a few reviews of 2015 Transits and Sprinters. I was expecting Mercedes to have the better reviews (because of the brand's reputation and because of the price), but based on the reviews I read, the Sprinter looked to be better. I'm going to read more reviews, and check Chevy van reviews too.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Clinto, if you are going to do it all yourself and you don't mind buying used a guy could find a 3/4 ton conversion van. It would have added great windows, a raised roof and interior enhancements. Fords and Chevys are the most popular vans these converters use. They were very popular years ago, but some conversion companies are still around turning out a limited number of units. Find one with a neat raised roof and bingo! You are in business to convert a conversion to your own conversion.

Just a thought.

Paul
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned the Chevy Rt, which was a great van, and driven the Ford Transit. if I didn't need the larger tow capacity, which is a non issue for most Class Ber's, I would get the Transit V6.
It's more comfortable to drive (jmo), quieter, and gets better MPG., also does better in the mountains because of the Eco Boost engine. There's no fiberglass roof to maintain, or leaks to worry about.

As for the Sprinter, I don't like the price, or the higher service fees, and lack of repair centers concern me. Parts are often not in stock, and can sometimes take weeks to get. But mainly I don't want a diesel.

I also don't like the Promaster, for reasons I will keep to myself so I don't offend any owners, and take this thread off topic.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
The chev chassis turned out to be prime driver in my choice of van ( pleasureway lexor TD)
I can work on it, parts and service everywhere ( cheap), the 6.0 and 3+OD is proven and delivers 15 MPG at highway speeds- for a van weighing 8500 pounds.
My rated tow capacity is 500/5000

gas/diesel cost per mile is a factor to look at and not so far apart to always pay back on the higher cost of a diesel.
factor in service costs too.

You'll know from kicking tires what'll work for you.

I know that I can service and fix my van cheep.

Mike

Clinto
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! So much good advice. Thanks! Just when I thought I had it narrowed down to either a Transit or a Sprinter, a few people mentioned the merits of the Chevy van. Dilemma!! (Trilemma??)

My next step will be to find and read some forums that are specific to these three models. That should let me see comments on the most recent model years from a broad range of people. The good news is, it looks like I have three very good options.

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
The Sportsmobile location in Fresno specializes in 4-wheel drive vans for off-roading. For better info call Sportsmobile Texas and definitely look at the Sportsmobile website. It will tell you all the things that can be done and what they will cost.

I find the new Sprinter seats to be very nice. Drawbacks are the limited number of Mercedes dealers the cost of Mercedes parts. On the other hand, the vans are quite reliable and scheduled service intervals are 14 -15,000 miles.

Find out whether the vans you are considering come as passenger vans or work vans. The latter may have uninsulated bodies and will be like driving a tin can. A custom converter can put in windows, insulation, flooring, and AC (which will require 120V power, which is very common in campsites.)
Advanced RV Sprinter

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy a 3500 Chevy Van with the 6L and take it to a conversion shop (Sportsmobile?) and have them add the top of my choice to get some height. Then I would have a proven, trouble free vehicle with plenty of power to pull anything I want to pull, tall enough to stand up in, I could park anywhere and virtually any mechanic anywhere in the country could do most things to it. I could convert that baby to my specs and needs and have a ball doing it.

I did what you are doing back many years ago and we enjoyed the heck out of the van for two decades. After we quit using it to camp, we used it for a "hauler" and they can carry as much as most half ton pickups and everything is enclosed. I still miss that old van. I have owned Fords, Dodges and Chevy vans. I will never own a Sprinter because of the service problems if you happen to be outside a metro area.

To each his own. That is why all those brands are out there.

Paul
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
To the op. If you plan on doing any mods, or replacing the front seats, make sure to talk to your insurance agent first. I'm pretty sure all the new vans (Chevys included) have airbags built into the seats, and are part of an integrated safety system. I know Roadtrek can't even recover them because this.
I would also talk to the car dealer about the warranty being affected.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You did not list it, but if you are starting with a passenger van, my first choice today might be Chevy Express, because the OEM seats are so easy to remove and replace, attaching to pockets in the floor. You can get headroom with a cap. A 3500 passenger van should have the 6.0, and will have about 10,000 pounds towing capacity.

But I was last shopping just before the Transit came out, so have no comparison to that. I ended up buying the E-series, last year of production, because I had some specific needs unrelated to camper conversion, and it filled them. OEM passenger seats were best in class for comfort and strength/safety.

Today if I looked at the Transit, I might like that for a conversion or even a passenger van, but am discouraged by its limitations as a tow vehicle. Cost no object, the first choice is the largest Sprinter, particularly if buying a bare van for conversion. 24-foot high top has the most space to work with. The big Sprinter issue were I am (small town Great Plains) is service availability, but if you are a major urban area you will likely be close to a Freightliner service center.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a mid roof Transit at work. I can stand up in the back and I'm 6'. I haven't noticed that my head was scrapping the ceiling either.
I drove a Promaster and didn't like it. The "clutchless manual" trans. makes a big pause when it shifts, just like you would if driving a manual. The problem is you don't know when it's coming so your always nodding forward due to the momentum. It was really annoying. Also, I think the Transit had a little better side visibility out the windows.
The Promaster is front wheel drive which could be a plus.
We got the Ford diesel. I have to admit it's a smooth running package and it starts great in below 20 degree weather with no block heater. I've had nothing but bad experiences with Fords but I had to admit that of the 3 vans this one was the best.

Clinto
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks again everybody. Based on these comments, I'm currently leaning towards the Ford Transit. I'll do some more research - reading as many user reviews as I can of the Transit and the Sprinter. Then I'll take both for test drives. Once I choose the van, the rest of the conversion should be easy. (I hope I don't eat those words later!)

charles
Explorer
Explorer
I bough a Transit Wagon 8 passenger and will be removing the third row seating. The transit is an amazing van compare to the Econoline. The first short trip I took in it got 19.1 mpg with the Ecoboost engine. Around town it is getting 18. Very comfortable ride. Two small beefs, it's almost impossible to get a beverage out of the cup holder without hitting the transmission lever and the arm rest on the door is rock hard, same as they were on the Econoline and your elbow gets sore real quick, I'll be padding that soon. We are doing the same thing, making a basic camper van out of it.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B