cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Staying at Walmarts and such

mericksonjr
Explorer
Explorer
I am taking a trip this November to see my son graduate from Air Force Basic training in San Antonio. We are traveling from Wyoming. We have a campground reserved in San Antonio for when we arrive but are planning on just driving as far as we can and staying overnight somewhere with out paying fees. We want to do this both on the way there and back. Do all Walmarts allow you to camp overnight? Any safety precautions recommended? Are there other companies that allow the same kind of thing Walmart does? I am looking on suggestions of places since we are going to drive as far as we can and we dont know where we will be when we get tired. Any help is appreciated.
Driftwood Drifters
74 REPLIES 74

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Vet Man wrote:
And I thought we might go all week without a overnight Wal-Mart post, silly of me.
I guess new OP's think this is the first time the question has ever been asked.

It is interesting, often when you read someone's question, you can tell within the first line or two that they just found the forum AND they didn't bother to read back a ways or use the search function.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

myrtle_beach_rv
Explorer
Explorer
wclement1248 wrote:
mericksonjr wrote:
twins89 wrote:
I know this has been on multiple threads but the OP asked. Dear OP, yes many Walmarts will let you stay overnight. You need to ask the manager and maintain proper decorum. Only put out the slides you need to get to bathroom or fridge. Leave it as you found it - no trash. We have used Lowes, Home Depot, Cracker Barrel and Walmart. we always spend $$ in the store or restaurant. If they say no, move on there will be something down the road. Rest areas are also a nice find if on an interstate. Perhaps search the web prior to leaving for what is along your route. Don't miss the Alamo and river walk while in San Antonio.

Thanks for being understanding, Kinda sad that some people get irritated answering simple questions. I thought that was what Forums were for. I guess there are some on here that think it is just like Facebook. Just a place to belittle people who are new. Again I appreciate you answering my original question. The rest can just piss off.

I agree and I apologize if you felt my comments were directed at you. I do not post very often for the very reasons you mention. I do occasionally take a poke at those who lecture and pontificate. I have found it best to lurk in the shadows and gain insight from the many helpful posters. They truly do want to help
2013 Tiffin Allegro 32CA
Toad 2012 Jeep Patriot
Prev. 2004 Allegro Bay 34XB
89 Coachman Catalina

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
here is the question, why take the rv? we all know traveling in a class a is not cheap! The cost of fuel to get there will more than cover the cost of a hotel overnite. Unless they are staying an extended period of time in San Antonio I imagine the cost would actually be less to drive a car. It seems like their goal is to get there see the graduation, etc. Just saying...

wclement1248
Explorer
Explorer
mericksonjr wrote:
twins89 wrote:
I know this has been on multiple threads but the OP asked. Dear OP, yes many Walmarts will let you stay overnight. You need to ask the manager and maintain proper decorum. Only put out the slides you need to get to bathroom or fridge. Leave it as you found it - no trash. We have used Lowes, Home Depot, Cracker Barrel and Walmart. we always spend $$ in the store or restaurant. If they say no, move on there will be something down the road. Rest areas are also a nice find if on an interstate. Perhaps search the web prior to leaving for what is along your route. Don't miss the Alamo and river walk while in San Antonio.

Thanks for being understanding, Kinda sad that some people get irritated answering simple questions. I thought that was what Forums were for. I guess there are some on here that think it is just like Facebook. Just a place to belittle people who are new. Again I appreciate you answering my original question. The rest can just piss off.

I agree and I apologize if you felt my comments were directed at you. I do not post very often for the very reasons you mention. I do occasionally take a poke at those who lecture and pontificate. I have found it best to lurk in the shadows and gain insight from the many helpful posters. They truly do want to help

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
one fun thing about staying a wall mart, is you can go in the stores late at night and see all the goofy people they call wall martians
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, you think WalMart does not care ? Why do they have the roving patrol, because their afraid some one is going to steal a shopping cart ?
Its just part of doing business expense just like the idiots that get stuck in the grass, need a wrecker to pull them out or tare down the over head that is to limit tall vehicles from the parking lot. All Truckers are not bright bulbs either.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
sehunter wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
My gosh, these Walmart posts pop up so often. Honestly, why does anyone care if a fellow RV'er wants to stop at a Walmart? If Walmart doesn't care, why does anyone else?

Not really asking for a response as it doesn't matter, I'm just amazed that people criticize it so much.

MM.

X2

And it's not that Walmart doesn't care, walmart invites their clients to stay there. ??
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
My gosh, these Walmart posts pop up so often. Honestly, why does anyone care if a fellow RV'er wants to stop at a Walmart? If Walmart doesn't care, why does anyone else?

Not really asking for a response as it doesn't matter, I'm just amazed that people criticize it so much.

MM.

X2
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
EricGT wrote:
surprised it took until the second page to get the first wise$#! comment. :R
It's difficult to imagine that teaching someone to help himself is a wise-ass comment, so, I can only conclude you object to the way in which it was said.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

EricGT
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
mericksonjr wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Why not stay at a campground? Most have a late arrival registration process, are usually safe, have hookups, and it helps the local economy.

Camp grounds are an option I just dont know how far we will get. And this trip is already costing enough so we were just thinking we would save where we can if we can. Safety is number one priority thats why I am asking opinions. I am new to the MH thing and still learning the secrets ๐Ÿ™‚

Okay now learn the secret of the search function on this forum.
In the box labelled search: type the words Walmart Parking
11 pages of info will come up.
Read each thread a little to see if it answers your question.

Surprised it took until the second page to get the first wise$#! comment. :R
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'

DesertSpooners
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are a riot! Thanks for the laughs.
Still having fun!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
2112 wrote:
mericksonjr wrote:
... The rest can just piss off.
I like this guy already. :B

Welcome

Remember too, it's better to be pissed OFF, than pissed ON.....:B:B:B.

P.S. MCI...please notice the happy faces.....:W......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
That's the reason that dump valves and drains are on the street side,rather than the curb side. Its visible from the road side. and if you park over a curb drain on that side, then you have to exit the door into the street. I know it sounds bad, but if the dumps were on the curb side, there would be a lot of dirty curbs. And there are a lot that still just pull up to a dump station or curb drain, and just let it all fly. Big expensive rigs have remote electric valves, driver doesn't even have to get out. and usually doesn't!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.