cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey - How Do You Store Your Class A?

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
Considering new home options and how to store our Class A. Currently it sits in the driveway, exposed. I don't like it but not willing to invest in a short term structure.

So what is the consensus? How do you store your Class A?

Full timer, park to park?
No shelter?
Park at storage facility exposed?
Park at storage facility under roof?
RV Garage?
Pole barn?
Sits in the driveway?

If you built an enclosed garage, what was the cost, how big, what materials and how long ago? or $/sq ft?

With enough responses I'll build a spreadsheet with percentages.

Thanks for your time,
- bob
83 REPLIES 83

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to keep my cost low and the sun from damaging the RV so I came up with this, besides building codes said no RV building and the carport companies here in Vegas wanted to much $$.

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
stored at a storage rental . Indoors enclosed on a slab 14'x12'x40' 120 electric and a place to dump and rinse tanks on site.

hernando_van
Explorer
Explorer
Put up an aluminum car port size 24 x60 takes good care here in fl
hernando van

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Under a roof on its leveling jacks, plugged in. Air conditioner set for low 80s in the summer mostly to control humidity and heat set for about 45 in the winter also to prevent condensation.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
RV garage. Too expensive to let sit out. Resale value of a nice garage kept unit will probably 1/2 pay for the garage in 5 years compared to a unit that sits out.

No sun fade,no critters,less washing,no mold on roof,wheels easier to polish, no black streaks, awnings and slideouts no mold, etc. etc.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
We built a 1400 sq ft RV garage/workshop in NH where we will eventually build our retirement home. It got a little pricy ($68/sq ft) because of upgrades in the type of siding we selected, upgraded to a standing seam metal roof, 6" of 4,000 psi fiber concrete with rebar and I needed to bring in approx. 1500 yards of fill (slope of the land). The cost breakdown was as follows:

Excavation & fill: $29k
Concrete: $16k
Building: $50k

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
We use a storage facility not far from our condo, outside in the elements, no hookups.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I must admit I miss the days when I could store it at my old house. Gravel drive extension with water electric and sewer. Since we moved to NC I have to pay for outdoor storage. It's not expensive but more of a hassle. Something to be said for having it on your own property. Funny, I can store my boat at the new house but not the RV. I've never lived with an HOA and they can be a pain in instances like this.
2013 ACE 29.2

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I built a 20'X41' RV cover. On a gravel drive with 50 amp service.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
70'x70' metal building with cement floor and heat connected to 50amp service.
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time we are traveling in it - or at least 8 months of the year. But when we're home for a couple of weeks at a time, it's outdoor storage which we pay for year around since we never know when we'll need it. Indoor storage around here is $200 plus a month. It doesn't sit that long to reserve that kind of parking.
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR

Minnie_Collecto
Explorer
Explorer
Linda B wrote:
We store ours in the RV port attached to our house with 50 amp power, water, sewer, cable & phone hookups. We are in a gated community that was designed for people like us who want to store our motorhome at our stick house.

Linda - I would love to find a community in FL that has RV ports attached to our house. Do you mind me asking the name of your community?
Travelling with our spoiled 4-legged kids

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
We 'store' out RV next to the garage. We drain the tanks and empty the perishables, and fill the lines with RV/Marine Antifreeze. The rig goes out for a road trip several times in the winter just to keep everything moving. Last trip can be first third of Dec and first trip in March. If I could, I'd put up a shed roof. I am not confident a tarp over a frame will hold up to the snow load.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We did exactly the same as Tom & Barb, but maybe that's because we're only about 20 miles apart and the climate is the same. We don't have the RV any more, but the last three uses were as supplementary living accommodation. The last one was during our Golden Wedding celebrations in August '14.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)