cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone Use This Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees.

I keep a couple of 150 watt Halogens in the Coach during the winter, use them to keep the temp around 40, and the only problem is they are always on, even when it's warm out - found these on Amazon - just checking to see if anyone has used them?

If you have do they work? Would be nice to turn off the electric on the warm days.

What do you think?

:@:@:@
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach
18 REPLIES 18

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if the ThermoCube has changed any over the years, but I have one controlling a bank of four 15 watt bulbs that keep the pressure tank for our cottage water supply from freezing. As best I can recall, it's at least 10 years old and still working. We have a remote reading thermometer in the insulated "dog house" with the tank for monitoring.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a great Thread.. Yes, I use that very product, it controls the lights that keep my water hose warm when it gets too cold.

I also use the Frost King one that someone else pictured, it controls the lights that are under my Fresh water tank and the 100 watt lamp in the other end of the wet bay... (It is inside the bay where as the Thermo-Cube is outside so it comes on first)

Both work very well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Kaz wrote:
I purchased one of the Frost King units (haven't tried it yet), but it doesn't look like I should get my hopes up there either.

For the heat source, I use one of those little 200-watt forced air heaters, like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XDTWN2/.

If the Frost King unit fails, I guess I'll just buy a project box and a regular thermostat and wire it to a 120-volt relay. Solving this problem shouldn't be this hard.

Skip

Regular wall thermostats generally don't go below about 45ยฐF, and have a fairly small spread in temp, one to two degrees. Honeywell makes a special "garage" thermostat that goes down to 35ยฐF, but its a piece of junk.

As already noted, and I had not thought about it, that anything digital either has to have a back up battery in it or loss of power will cause the unit to go back to defaults.

Good luck, I did not realize how un-reliable the cube thermostats were.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Kaz wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
Anyone Use This Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees.

I keep a couple of 150 watt Halogens in the Coach during the winter, use them to keep the temp around 40, and the only problem is they are always on, even when it's warm out - found these on Amazon - just checking to see if anyone has used them?

If you have do they work? Would be nice to turn off the electric on the warm days.

What do you think?

I've tried them a couple times and, as the comments above and the online reviews would suggest, I have not found them to be very reliable. I went by the coach a couple days ago (temperatures in the mid-20's) and the outlet had failed and the wet bay was cold as a well digger's ... well, you know.

I purchased one of the Frost King units (haven't tried it yet), but it doesn't look like I should get my hopes up there either.

For the heat source, I use one of those little 200-watt forced air heaters, like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XDTWN2/.

If the Frost King unit fails, I guess I'll just buy a project box and a regular thermostat and wire it to a 120-volt relay. Solving this problem shouldn't be this hard.

Skip

Another option

Option Two

But with the goal to just not have to turn on and off the light I think the small heater (200 watts) should fit the bill.

For $15 I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:

What do you think?

I've tried them a couple times and, as the comments above and the online reviews would suggest, I have not found them to be very reliable. I went by the coach a couple days ago (temperatures in the mid-20's) and the outlet had failed and the wet bay was cold as a well digger's ... well, you know.

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Charles,

The problem with digital units is that when power is removed and then returned they default to OFF.

CharlesinGA wrote:
Looking at Amazon, the TC, Frost King, and Easy Heat brands of similar thermostatic switches do not have good reviews if you read thru them. I would spring for a more expensive digital, settable unit such as the Inkbird or possibly the Anself.

Charles
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at Amazon, the TC, Frost King, and Easy Heat brands of similar thermostatic switches do not have good reviews if you read thru them. I would spring for a more expensive digital, settable unit such as the Inkbird or possibly the Anself.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 110 volt thermostat in my garage and set it a 45. They're made to handle more power.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the thermal cube for about 3 years with good results. I use it with a heated floor mat hung vertically in my wet bay.

Heated Floor Mat Link

I'm not sure that I would use a thermal cube with high wattage heaters.

I place one thermostatically controlled fan-forced ceramic heater in the bathroom on a 12x12 ceramic tile, and another in the kitchen on the open over door. They are both set to come on at about 35-40 degrees. I also have the propane furnace set to come on at 35 degrees in case of a power outage.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thermo cube seems to not be too reliable. I have one that works well and one that doesn't seem to work at all.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read the reviews on Amazon. With 16% one-star, I wouldn't buy it. We a thermostat like the Frost King.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I use it in several places. Works for me with a 60 watt bulb and a clamp on light fixture with an alum reflector.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
frostking looks much more robust

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a thermos cube for over a year now, so far no problem. I have 60 watt light bulb in my wet bay to keep things from freezing. Outside temps get down into the teens some nights.