cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about a Class C Motorhome

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking about getting a motorhome - probably a Class C, used in the $30,000 range. Any pointers for buying in this range? Like average year, mileage, manufacturer, etc..... We have a 23ft TT(since 2011). Thank you
7 REPLIES 7

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Looked for a few months. Found a 27' 2006 E450 class C with 17,000 miles and the size/floor plan we wanted. Showroom clean with many options for under $30,000. Had good fairly new tires but they were recalled so a new set of Michelins were free.

There will be deals out there and going into winter is a good time to be shopping. The best deals won't last long so be ready to buy on a moments notice. If it is a really good deal someone else will snap it up. Just make sure no matter how much of a deal it is that it's a floor plan you like. A great deal is not a great deal if it's not what you want.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

vinny68
Explorer
Explorer
In that price range I would also consider a used Class from Cruise America.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Read over the FAQ section at the top of this forum. We get similar requests for advice once or more per week. You would have to look for them amongst previous threads. You should be able to find a nice 5-10 year old rig with no water damage, and everything working properly for $30K. If tires are older than 5 years old, by date codes on tires, they are unsafe to drive on, six new Michelins will cost about $300 apiece. Air conditioners, fridges, house batteries and converter chargers, and awning fabric start to need replacement at about 10 years depending on various factors, including usage, so plan on that
in budgeting for maintenance. If you have the time, tools, works space and skills needed to maintain, troubleshoot and repair/upgrade you can save about 50%. I recommend a rig no shorter than 27 feet, bumper to bumper, that has a rear bed room, adequate cargo storage and cabinet space and standard features.
including overhead bed and convertible dinette or sofa for kids and occasional guests. Get to know the various popular brands and floor plans available in your price and year/model range. If possible, have rig inspected by a truck mechanic and an RV repair place and get itemized estimates for any repairs. Don't buy a rig with evidence of water damage on interior ceilings or moldy odors. Water damage repairs take time and cost a lot. Brake fluid should be flushed and changed every two years to avoid dangers brake fade on grades. Engine cooling system, including water pump, clutch fan, radiator and all belts and hoses should be checked and serviced as needed. RV owners put an average of 5000 miles on their rigs per year. Ford E-450 engines can go well over 100K miles and be in good condition if maintained. Good hunting!

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked all summer for one in your price range. All I found were leaky, delaminated, dirty, smelly, mechanically defective Class C RVs. I tried to stay newer than 2003 but I looked at some that were as old as 1998. Everything I looked at had at least one major defect. It may be different where you live, or quite possibly your standards could be lower than mine but for me, $30 large is a lot of money. You should get something that doesn't have major issues at that price point. I finally found one RV that almost meets my standards but the seller is at almost $50K. I am thinking long and hard but will probably find a way to buy it at a somewhat lower price. Negotiations begin today. I wish you good luck but be prepared to see a lot of very neglected RVs.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We have a chevy 25 footer class c..Jayco Escapade...get 10 mpg. Hubby takes it easy for better mileage. Hills won't be as good.
2005 is the year. I would say get something other than a Jayco...their standards are a bit low. The sealing at the seams on ours was rather poor and thus we got leaks which we have now fixed
correctly with Eternabond. We have had it for a few years and will
keep it and run it until it has too many miles on it...semi/quasi retired early.

We had to buy new tires as they were the originals...fix the seam seals, reseal other areas to prevent leaks, hubby is adding an additional battery/house, and he added an additional tank. We prefer to boondock as we have spent enough on the unit; peace and quiet, picture perfect spots.

Hubby sleeps in the over cab and I sleep in the corner bed so we have room (king sized bed at home).

Be really warey of watching for leaks, delamination...C's seem to get those more than other types. Our former unit was a 20 foot travel trailer.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I found a '99 Class C with tow package and tow car for under 30K. The unit was 12 years old but in excellent shape when I bought it. If you go used, try to find one for sale by original owner. Look at the bill of sale and registration and all maintenance records. Expect to put $ into a used rig to bring it up to code.

Previous poster is right on with Ford E450 and 8mpg. We get just slightly over 8.5 MPG towing a Honda CRV. The RV is 27' and has everything we need - no need for anything longer for us. 1 of us sleeps overhead and the other on a couch that doubles as a twin bed.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
You have a 23' TT so you have a good idea already about
build quality and features. As you already know all
manufactures use off the shelf appliances etc.
Fit and finish is the difference.

In a class C the Ford E450 will have more capacity for you
as well as towing vs E350. It is also wider than the E350 chassis,
which is good for interior space. The E450 is a Ford workhorse.

Then Normal inspections including tire DOT codes not over 10 years.
Roof inspection and looking for water stains.
Finding the floor plan you like and then enjoy.
8 MPG will be average.