cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for reducing set-up time?

HydroGeo
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any tips to shorten set-up time (besides just pulling into a WalMart parking lot!)? At the end of a day of driving, we usually spend about 1.5 hr setting up, which makes for a very long day. Hubby is very particular about checking the site, making sure power and water work, then we level, put slides out, etc.Then it's either unhook the toad and go out for dinner or microwave some leftovers. Reverse the process in the morning and we spend a lot of time on a travel day not traveling.
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3849, 4 slides
2010 Ford Escape hybrid, Blue Ox Partiot brake
Larry & Trudy, 1 dog, 2 bikes, 2 kayaks
86 REPLIES 86

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
DW does the inside I do the out.
If just over night try to get pull thru.
Pull in site.
Get out to inspect.
Give DW the sign to put jacks down.
I hook up elec and water.
When level DW puts out slides.
I hit the powere to satilite.
DW calles Dish.
Mostly done.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
HydroGeo wrote:
.. only an idiot drives around with the glass tray inside the microwave, because a big bump could make the tray whack the door hard enough to open, sending the tray flying out to smash into a million pieces.
I am that idiot, because there's no way my MW door is coming open from the inside. It has latches.
It pretty well defines a persons demeanor when they have to stoop to name calling when anyone has a difference of opinion or does something a different way. I've never heard of anyone removing their tray from a microwave for travel. As a matter of fact, ours usually has a part of a loaf of bread in it for travel and snacks.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
when we hit our winter home for a 3 month stay it takes me less time to set up than your hubby does for an overnight. perhaps a little too fussy?
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
HydroGeo wrote:
.. only an idiot drives around with the glass tray inside the microwave, because a big bump could make the tray whack the door hard enough to open, sending the tray flying out to smash into a million pieces.
I am that idiot, because there's no way my MW door is coming open from the inside. It has latches.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Wife does nothing, ever. helps us not get confused...lol.

8 minutes. unhook toad. backin motorhome (40' DP)
put out slides
mix favorite adult beverage (margarita on the rocks, Camerena tequila, agave nectar, fresh squeezed lime juice)
Dump air, manually level.
Exit coach with favorite adult beverage in hand. Hookup electricity, and if available, water and sewer.
On other side of coach, extend awning )if sunny) put out matts (if dusty), put out my comfy reclining chair, sit down with my margarita.
8 minutes, tops. Add one if I am hooking up the gas grille.

OP, I'd hafta say if it takes your hubby that long to setup, then he is making a choice. Hopefully that choice makes him happy, cause that's why we are here.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
Pull in -I put jacks down - wife put slides out after jacks down -I turn off engine -I plug in power and connect water - Wife sets up tv dish - Done We don't unhook toad if just overnight. 15 minutes tops.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a routine that I use when setting up. I constantly set up the same way and over years I'm getting faster and faster.

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
When we boondock I can set up the coach, unload the dirt bikes and gear incl Weber from the trailer.
set up tables for BBQ and lay down rug, hook up outdoor speakers and be drinking a bourbon listening to
Kenny Burrell in under an hr.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
JohnBoyToo said:

"Early on, I offered suggestions on how 'her part' could be done more 'efficiently' - THAT was the worst kind of help I could offer and only happened once"

Amen!!!!!

HydroGeo...... I think your husband, with a little practice, could stretch that setup time out to two hours if he really put his mind to it.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
(in fact the only time we've had trouble is when one of us tries to help the other with thier tasks)

Amen to that brother !!!!

I find it best to 'allow' her to do her thing no matter how long it takes...

Early on, I offered suggestions on how 'her part' could be done more 'efficiently' - THAT was the worst kind of help I could offer and only happened once 🙂

And to the OP... 1.5 hours is only adjustable if HE wants to and CAN adjust it...

My Bro-in-law is actually like that, but unfortunately it IS medical in nature... very, very sad when all they were waiting for was to retire and go rv'ing !!! so enjoy it WHEN you can!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Busskipper wrote:

Do you do all of this when just staying the night?

Rarely do we just stay one night....minimum 4-7 days...often we stay longer than a week.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
VinCee wrote:
I think most would agree that the Dear Husband's take care of the outside setup, no matter big or small and Dear Wife takes care of the inside. This way my DW and I always rendezvous for a nice cold beer or glass of wine in the bag chairs outside where ever the view is best, proclaiming our love for camping and being where we are.

Yup, and we look at each other and one of us says "I wonder what the po' folk are doing?" and the other says "Look around".
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
I think most would agree that the Dear Husband's take care of the outside setup, no matter big or small and Dear Wife takes care of the inside. This way my DW and I always rendezvous for a nice cold beer or glass of wine in the bag chairs outside where ever the view is best, proclaiming our love for camping and being where we are.

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
How about splitting the chores between you and him? My DH plugs in, sets up water and sewer if needed, puts any blocks under the jacks that are needed. We both work on unhooking the car, me inside the car him outside. I set the jacks, start up the satellite and TV, place rugs, uncover the sink, put the computers up, put windshield protector up if needed, generally just get the inside ready. When we leave it is just those steps reversed.
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:
When friendly neighbor greets me during setup or departure prep I stop work and focus on being nice then resume from beginning of checklist after he leaves (it is never a woman).

This is a very good point and one I teach my student pilots. If someone walks up and interrupts your routine, you should set a book mark in whatever you're doing and go back to it. To drive the point home, I tell them about the old Abbott and Costello skip where Bud interrupts Lou counting money and ends up with all the cash.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox