Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Advise and Opinions

mhbell
Explorer
Explorer
I am needing some tire advice and opinions
I need to purchase 6 new tires for my Four Winds Hurricane 31D GVWR 18000 Lbs, GAWR Front 7000 Lbs 80 PSI, Gawr Rear 11000 Lbs 80 PSI
I don't want a real expensive tire, but want something reliable. So far I can get Samson GL283A 245/70R 19.5 Out the door mounted and balanced with new stems for $1295 Or I can go Dayton D520S with Regular Balance or Equal Balance for $1587 Both tires are 16 ply. Do I really need 16 ply tires? Would 14 ply tires ride smoother? Anyone with experience using Samson or Dayton Tires? I have read many posts on Samson but none on Dayton. All posts are old ones and not to valid today. I need recent input. I will weigh the coach when I get it loaded so I can adjust tire pressure accordingly. Please if you have used these tires Let me know your opinion of them. Past and present. I only Drive 5000 to 6000 miles a Year. One 2500 mile round trip to Texas and the rest are 300 to 400 miles.
Mel
😕
2004 Thor Four Winds Infinity R32 Class A Motor Home with F-53 Ford Chassis. Toad is a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.
17 REPLIES 17

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
I took all the old tire/wheels to the tire shop a couple at a time and had the new ones mounted and balanced. On a side note I had a Recurring Vibration in the frontend, it would go away for a few miles then be back at any speed. It ended up being bent front wheels, they would get in a position where the bend in each wheel cancelled each other out, then gradually return while driving as the wheels bend was in line with each other. Those new 10 lug 19.5 steel wheels from Accuride are about $325 each but well worth it to eliminate the vibration . The new wheels are supposed to be stronger too.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
bhivetravels wrote:
The responses to this feed beg the question of "where" did you get the tires? I've not found a tire shop I can fit the coach into — I guess a big-name retailer Firestone/Goodyear might have big enough bays, but can they do alignments?

The coach does not have to go inside. Many a tire has been changed (mounted and balanced) outside. Some places even have their alignment equipment outside.
jwmII

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
The responses to this feed beg the question of "where" did you get the tires? I've not found a tire shop I can fit the coach into — I guess a big-name retailer Firestone/Goodyear might have big enough bays, but can they do alignments?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. — High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Put Tokyo's on our 32 ft. gasser when we had to replace the tires' it had good years on it when we bought it used. Both sets of tires worked fine IMO.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
If the only choices for RV tires were GY's or Michelins I wouldn't own an RV. Know several people who have Samson's on their rigs and they are pleased with their performance. Know nothing about the current Dayton tires but they were considered a good tire back in the 70's and 80's. My rears are Bridgestones and the fronts are Coopers and I am getting good performance from both of these brands,(not that you asked) just thought I would add them into your picture. :B
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
My RV has Toyo's right now, and I am waiting to put on Michelins. It is worth it for my peace of mind, but the Toyos have been very good to us! Good luck!

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
3 years ago I bought a new set of 6 double coin 8R19.5 RT500. I have around 15,000 miles on them and they look fine. Be aware, the Chinese got the diameter off, they are a larger diameter and throw the speedometer off about 5 mph at 65. smooth ride and long wear. they are rated for 110 lbs air but I'm running at 82.5, no problems.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
Sumitomo ST-718's on my 30'.
I've had great luck with these.
Just put on my 2nd set.
All steel casing.
IMHO great bang-for-da-buck tire!
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Topic is a great "flaming" one...bringing out all the Goodyear/Michelin/Toyo, etc., etc. fans and detractors.
Everyone has an opinion. Whatever they buy was the greatest. Whatever they HAD was garbage.

MY coach came with Goodyear G670s (19.5"). Over the past 13 years, have replaced the tires twice. Due to tread wear or age. Stayed with the Goodyears and have no complaints.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
HPYHILM wrote:
I have had many of them blown.

I would carefully check you driving habits and/or where you drive...I've had ONE blow out in 58 yrs of driving..:E
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

HPYHILM
Explorer
Explorer
I have Samson on my rear and Hankook on the steer tires. No problems, go with the better steer tires. The rv tires made by the major brands are poor quality, I have had many of them blown. Hankook or Kuomo or Double coin are great tires.
Hpyhilm
NW Washington
2008 Monaco Knight 38PDQ

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I put Hankook 19.5s on my gasser after a rear tire blowout on the Goodyears. I'm still running Hankook 22s on my Suburban and right now I have Samson 22.5s on my DP right now.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If he is driving on 80 psi, he need hard rubber tires.
I never hesitated to buy Chinese tires especially that when it comes to trailer tires, there is no much competition and was always very pleased.
Not saying the above tires are Chinese as those days tires in US come from all odd places.
Just bought backhoe tire made in Sri Lanka.
Also 16-ply can be pretty misleading rating as new 14 ply can have higher load ratings than older 16-ply.
So don't make any general assumptions. Go to the tire place and read the prints on the tires.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
mhbell wrote:
Executive wrote:
IMO, Buying tires based on price alone is a fools game. Doesn't matter how far you travel. Doing so on cheap tires can have disastrous, even fatal, results......Dennis
I agree with you 100 percent, However Dayton tires are the second tier of Bridgestone tire company. I see no reason to pay $400 a tire when a $200 tire will do just as good on a GVWR 18000 Lb Rig. Especially when it is driven so little and mostly short trips. If it was a GVWR 26000 Lb rig or heavier I could see spending more for a Michlin or Goodyear tire for RV's. JMHO.
Mel
Goodyear and Michelin if your not aware make the only true RV tire. There made out of very soft rubber especially for RV applications due to all the time sitting in one place that RV's endure. All other tires are hard rubber truck tires. Just wanted you to be aware of this! Good Luck in what ever tire you purchase.