cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire coating

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you use something to blacken your motor home tires, if you do what do you use. I understand some of the blackening causes the tires to dry out and crack.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
19 REPLIES 19

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
How many of you use something to blacken your motor home tires, if you do what do you use. I understand some of the blackening causes the tires to dry out and crack.

Dealer put something on mine like that, tires had hairline splits in the sidewalls when I picked it up from them. At that time the tires were less than 3 years old (by date code), and only the sidewalls with the tire black got the checking on them. I intend to replace all 7 tires (the spare is original '06 Michelin with lots of splits and cracks and never has been on the ground or uncovered).

The sidewall splitting is real fine and short, I can easily sell them to someone local for a work truck or non interstate use vehicle, as they have like new tread on them, but I am way too leary of them for hot long highway trips I plan later this summer.

I used everything imaginable to remove the stuff, but the tires still have some of it on them. The tire shop and the alignment shop I deal with say that is what caused the splitting by sucking the oils out of the rubber, and they hate the stuff, it is very messy.

Don't use it, and don't buy anything that has had it put on.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trackrig wrote:
Aerospace 303

Bill

X2

Water based unlike the others I've encountered.
Larry

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I have used stallion rubber dressing since the 70's, has always done a good job, and non petroleum based. And always clean tires with stallion white wall cleaner, and they look new without dressing.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
303 vs. all the petro based tire products is pretty much no contest. Old school tire dressing does offer a deeper black look but no protection and it's harmful to tires. The 303 offers a nice clean look on washed tires AND I think it's easier to apply.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I use Super Clean (the purple stuff) and a stiff brush. All the road grime comes off and the tires look like new.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:

I've come to believe that the only thing these tire coatings are good for, is to increase sales at the dealership. Why else would every dealer on the planet run out and paint the tires and even if the coach is literally falling apart at the seams. Last purchase we made, dealer said more than once how they were going to detail it before delivery. Yep, you guessed it, they coated the tires, that's it. Didn't do much good, though since one blew out (5 yrs old) on it's maiden voyage. Point is, if the tires had always been covered and stored with the jacks down, I don't think it would have happened.
Having said all this and if I can't keep my present set from looking new, I might try some 303 and not like it can really hurt anything.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

farsidefan1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, but how often do you have to re apply it?
Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
303 protectant on all the rubber parts, slide out seals, tires, etc. Installing new tires now @ 6 years old. Rather be safe than sorry.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
303 protectant on all the rubber parts, slide out seals, tires, etc.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

farsidefan1
Explorer
Explorer
Question regarding 303. How often do you need to apply it?

I just got back from Yellowstone (our maiden voyage)and another RVer told me to use it. He was completely sold. I have heard that some products, if not continually applied will actually harm the tire.

So, how often does it need to be reapplied and can it harm tires if one were to stop using it?
Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't remember the product but maybe it is Sunblock. Put it on tires back in 07, which was a pain but never any sun damage, if there would have been any anyway.
Had the coach washed and waxed and it put on at the same time. Guy said he should have charge me extra. Mud and such did not stick. You hands would get black if you rubbed them.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
303 does not 'color them black'. It only provides UV protection and whatever the 'carrier' is helps the tire look black by giving it a wet look.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:
X3; 303 is the best protectant I have found. Makes the tires look nice and is rated at SPF 40 to help protect from UV. Been using it since 1993.

X4 on 303.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
If you spray some Bleche White on your tires, then scrub them normally with your fav detergent and water, then rinse, all accumulated dirt and road grime will be gone, and tires will be black again like when they were new. No need to color them black.