cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire pressure at 80 PSI ?

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see that the tires on my class B RV is clearly marked 80 PSI, but the previous owner have all 4 tires at around 60 PSI . Should I increase the pressure to 80 PSI ? Sorry to ask this silly question , but I am new to RVs . All the tires for my cars and SUVs are marked at around 35 PSI . Here are some pictures

Moderator had to edit photos to 640 per forum standard.
27 REPLIES 27

gdoug83
Explorer
Explorer
applegater wrote:
I ran 80 rear and 65 front on my sprinter B(2500) but there is a large group of new Bs built on the sprinter 3500 van with dual rear wheels, doubtful you need torun 80 in the rear on those!

I run 55 up front and 75 rear in my 3500. Seems to handle best there. I've played around with combinations up to 60 up front and 80 rear.
Doug
2010 RT RS Adventurous
Sprinter 3500

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
PSW wrote:
Am I the only guy that adjusts his tires according to temperature?

July and August in this part of the country often see temps in the 90s and above 100. I normally lower my pressures about 5-7 degrees for those months if I am going to be doing a lot of highway driving.

Drive fifty miles or more at a 100F and check your pressure and you will see why I do that very thing. I also do it in my other vehicles.

60 front, 80 rear except in the extreme heat, then 55 and 73-5. We all have our little preferences and quirks.

That IS a great suggestion and procedure. We dont get much extreme heat here but when I lived in Iraq(worked there) I lowered my tire pressure 4 pounds all round--mid afternoon it was around 140 degrees very often.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Am I the only guy that adjusts his tires according to temperature?

July and August in this part of the country often see temps in the 90s and above 100. I normally lower my pressures about 5-7 psi for those months if I am going to be doing a lot of highway driving.

Drive fifty miles or more at a 100F and check your pressure and you will see why I do that very thing. I also do it in my other vehicles.

60 front, 80 rear except in the extreme heat, then 55 and 73-5. We all have our little preferences and quirks.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

applegater
Explorer
Explorer
I ran 80 rear and 65 front on my sprinter B(2500) but there is a large group of new Bs built on the sprinter 3500 van with dual rear wheels, doubtful you need torun 80 in the rear on those!

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be a sort of consensus that 50-60 front and 80 rear is the way to go. As i have noted before, I get great driveability and no front end wandering with 55 up front and 80 in the back.

Explorer
Explorer
My Roadtrek has a tag - from Roadtrek and not Chevy that says, 80 psi rear and 50 psi front. When I first got the van I spoke to Roadtrek about the front number and was told that for the front tires - and only the front tires - 50 was the starting point (and what Chevy recommended before the conversion). I was told to increase the front tires by 5 psi, test drive and see if I liked the handling better - and do this up to and no more than 65 psi. I like the handling best at 60 and that is where I leave it. The rear tires need to be at 80 for the added weight of the conversion and I was told not to change that higher or lower.

For the OP - you might try calling Great Western and discussing this with them as they know their Class B best.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Dandie_Dinmont
Explorer
Explorer
During our visit at Pleasure-Way a few years back, Phil mentioned
that they discussed this matter with Ford - 65 psi front. Ford agreed that there was a handling problem when unit converted to Class "B"
but due to possible law claims they would not change recommended tire
pressure.

On my 2006 Excel TD - tried 65psi but for some reason the front end
was very bouncy - back to 55 and no problems. Also, the stock tires used by Ford are/were Hankcook - Phil was not happy with this brand
as Pleasure-Way received many complaints of handling.
Len, Rebecca & MacDuff

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Roadtrek wrote:
To make things a little more simple. Your Class B should be 80 rear, and 65 front.

Ditto, Rodger. As far as pumping up the tires, I find that any good truck stop will be able to pump 80 PSI and more. P&H Truck Stop in Wells River, Vt, has free air out back that can pump 80 PSI in seconds. In addition, they serve great Roadfood recommended diner food 24 hours a day. The bad news is the air pump is right outside of the kitchen and you can smell the great pies and bread baking within...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of manufactures revised their front tire recommendations later on, Roadtrek went from, I think 50 psi to 60 psi. I would not recommend going lower than 55 psi for the fronts.
I ran 78 psi rear, and 63 front on the same size tire on my 2002 Chevy Roadtrek. I felt anything below 60 didn't give me the safety margin I wanted in case of a slow leak. The van rode, and handled great at those pressures.

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
Because I could find in the information you gave , all I needed , I filled in my made calculator and made a picture of it to show here.
Its always adviced to use real weighed seperate wheelweights in the loading you drive with, second best is weighing per axle, but as long as you dont have that, we have to do with the GAWR's and use as much possible reserve that still gives acceptable comfort and gripp.
Then front 53 psi advice with only 5% reserve included because front seldomly gets over its GAWR. Rear as much possible reserve because rear overloading is more rule then exeption, and you could say the weights in use begin at GAWR.
Then advice Rear even 88 psi , wich is higher then the 80psi given on sidewall, but this is not the maximum pressure of such a tire.
Even stiffer TRA system Allows 10 psi above that cold pressure .

Also the rimms can have a maximum pressure given or maximumm load.
Then I asume this is also given for cold pressure .
My spreadsheet does not go from the lowest pressure as is done in lists , but the highest pressure with still acceptable comfort and gripp, to give as much possible reserve for things like , pressure-loss in time, misreadings of weight and pressure-scales, unequall loading R/L, etc.

Here the picture , and if you ever weigh I can fill in part 2 or even 3 for you to show.

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
dadechil wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Vehicle GVWR....8700#
FAWR............4000#
RAWR............5740#

Data plate states
Front air pressure.......45 psi
Rear air pressure........80 psi

Simple.......run what the data plate states

x2

If you run 80psi in front on a light front end rig ( rear or mid engine) steering control will suffer greatly

X3 The data plate on your door jam was specific for your Conversion Van.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
On my "B" with LR D tires I run 65# air pressure (Max allowed).
On my F250 (Load range E) when I pulled a 5th wheel I ran the Max on them also .
Normally on the empty F250 I run 50#.
Max air gives me more stability and control.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

dadechil
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Vehicle GVWR....8700#
FAWR............4000#
RAWR............5740#

Data plate states
Front air pressure.......45 psi
Rear air pressure........80 psi

Simple.......run what the data plate states

x2

If you run 80psi in front on a light front end rig ( rear or mid engine) steering control will suffer greatly

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2002 P W 80 rear 65 front makes it handle better.