Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Replacement on Class A Goodyear or Michelin

new_class_a
Explorer
Explorer
Tire replacement on Class A Goodyear or Michelin

I'm told its time to replace the tires on my 2007 38 ft Fleetwood Expedition even though there is only 18000 miles on the Goodyear G670 RV 225/70R22.5 on the rig. I have several questions I am considering changing to Michelin Tires since the out the door price for all 6 is $1000 cheaper than the Goodyear along with the fact a few of my friends say the ride on the Michelins is much smoother. Is the Michelin tire as reliable as the goodyear and will it work on my rig.I have read a couple of other forums where there was concern for the early year Michelins but found nothing very current. I am going to be heading to Yellowstone in June and do not want to take a chance on the old tires for the 40000 mile trip. Thanks for any help.
57 REPLIES 57

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm buying 6 new Michelins for my RV in May, and I'm going to use the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan. Did you know that the Space Shuttles (all of them) used Michelin Tires when they were in service! Good Luck with your new tires.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you didn't ask about opinions on Chinese or Korean junk, I would go with Michelin and use the FMCA program. Ask your dealer about the program and he may offer something as good as, or better than the FMCA discount.
If your current tires are still in good shape, with no cracks, be sure to ask about a trade-in credit or carcass credit for your tires. Some people won't ask about a trade-in credit but the facts are, most dealers will charge you a tire disposal fee and then SELL your tires as is, or at least sell the carcasses for recapping at $50 each, minimum. Just ask, you may be surprised.
I have always gotten credit for my trade-ins because I change out my tires at 50,000 or so miles, regardless of age, which is usually around 4 years. I had good luck with both Goodyear and Michelin tires but right now I feel the best buy is with Michelin.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced 5 year old Michelin XRVs after 5 years and over 140,000 kilometers (90,000 miles) of hard use on less than perfect roads. Don't figure they owed me anything!

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a set of Michelins 295/80R22.5 and saved around $1300 going through FMCA using the Michelin Advantage plan, worth the $50.00
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
We are happy with the XRV Michelin which we purchased through the FMCA program
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Valkyriebush wrote:
I've stuck to my michelin XRV's and have had no issues.

What he said ..

the price was $105 each cheaper too.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

klm
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a member of FMCA you will save by using the Michelin Advantage - I saved $103 per tire. If you go with Michelin, and not a member of FMCA - join - annual membership is $50 - buying 6 tires is worth the membership
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

crimmps49
Explorer
Explorer
We have Hankook and haven't had any issues and have made several trips with them, even through the mountains.

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
I have not been happy with Goodyears, G670, I am replacing them this week with Bridgestones. Guess I will find out.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've stuck to my michelin XRV's and have had no issues.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Toyo and am very happy with the ride.....
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Many are going with Hankook, Toyo, Bridgestone, Sumotomo, and even Firestone.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

PandK
Explorer
Explorer
LOTS of discussion on Goodyear vs Michelin. I had the Goodyear G670 and was very disappointed - many had excellent luck. Suggest looking at the threads.
My new tires are Michelin purchased through the FMCA program.
Paul and Karla
Jose, Tequila & Ella - Our Spoiled Rotten Chihauhuas
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester 45'
2013 Chevy Traverse