cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires were made in 2010...do I buy new?

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have a 1996 Monaco Dynasty and the DOT on the front Michelin tires reads DOT M53T C83X 2810. For safety reasons only.....do I change the tires? Thank you in advance for your responses.
19 REPLIES 19

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
Wolfe10 had the right answer. Also go on the Michelin website--they have a very good write-up on tire care and inspection. Radial cracks, if present, has a maximum depth that you can check yourself as explained on the website. If your tires fail your inspection as outlined in the tire guide, you don't need any further inspection, just new tires.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Read something a while back about x-raying tires to determine viability. Mostly driven buy the short run tire users like concrete, dump trucks, large equipment operators etc. Who have the same problem we do. Age out, as opposed to wear out. Anybody out there heard of this? Anybody know of any updates.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ricelake922 wrote:
Hello. I have a 1996 Monaco Dynasty and the DOT on the front Michelin tires reads DOT M53T C83X 2810. For safety reasons only.....do I change the tires? Thank you in advance for your responses.

I wouldn't if they were still good and you could always have them inspected by a unbiased professional. Even at that, one could replace the two steer tires and the rest later on, for a little more life and for lessening the severity of the monetary bite.
Many tire manufactures, including Michelin claim a 10yr max life with proper care.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone. I am taking the RV to a tire place that has qualified technicians call Kal Can.

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
IMOP, get them checked by a qualified TRUCK TIRE dealer service person.
Michein's official recommendation: After 5 years have the tires checked annually by a qualified tire technician, and after 10 years replace regardless of how good they appear".
Take the advice of the manufacturer and a good truck tire service person, not all the opinionated responses you find on this forum.

"40 years in the tire industry; seen it all, and done most of it"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMOP get new ones. Tires oil them selves while rolling. they don't while sitting, and so they rot, Doesn't matter what they are sitting on, they rot from lack of oiling. Pretty much that easy. You may not be able to see it. but it is there.

In the end. Your life your choice.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
In many case you cannot visibly see dry rot from the sidewalls. Often they get rot and cracks between the tread first. I agree with most posters that no one on this forum can tell you what to do based on a post. Have them inspected by a reputable tire shop. One that does not just want to sell you tires. An RV service shop that does inspections should be able to do it as well.
2013 ACE 29.2

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they are XRV then change all six. If a Michelin truck tire then I'd buy two new for the front and probably not Michelin... Hankook, Toyo, Bridgestone........ Are you sure the rear four tires are 2010?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do they look like? If they're badly checked, replace them. If not, run them.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
If you want the quick and direct answer ask the manufacturer or your trusted local tire shop. How you took care of the tires may or may not get you more time after 5 years. I blew out two 4 1/2 year old tires lately that were garage kept, lifted up off axels when not in use, looked brand new and properly inflated. Is it really worth serious injury or death?

X2, Save $$$ anywhere else but not your tires!! Safety is too important!!!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Ricelake,

Since you don't know the history of the tires before you bought it (curbing, running low on air, etc.), I would have them inspected by a tire shop. Yes, it will cost a few bucks to have them removed from the rims but it might buy you 1.5-2.0 years if they check out OK.

We drove our first set of Michelins on our '08 Dynasty for 57,000 miles and 7.5 yrs. from the manufactures date. We had good tread and the shop gave me $50 each for the take-off's.

On the new coach, I might change out at 6 yrs. as we weigh at our max weight (55,500 lbs.). It is certainly not worth it to push the age on tires. The damage can be expensive as an above poster stated.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because they were uncovered I would say it is Time to get new ones.
That said if finances are a problem you may be able to get by this year by buying 2 new tires for the front and using the old on the rear dual tires. This way if you have a blowout on a tire you will not lose control as you would if a front tire blew. Under the right conditions a rear blowout can cost thousands in damage ( I have the bills to prove it).
Then next year bite for 4 new tires.
Only you know your own finances.
Make sure to specify you want fairly recent DOT dates from wherever you get the tires. LOOK at the dates yourself.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
There is NO WAY that someone could give a rational answer without inspecting the tires.

As asked in the very first answering post, it depends on how they were cared for. My tires are the same age and in excellent condition, BUT: Coach stored indoors when not in use-- isolator strips between concrete and tire. White UV covers when on the road and parked more than 2 days. Always properly inflated with TPMS to verify that they stay that way. Never curbed....

Michelin's official answer (again sight unseen) it must replace at 10 years. Beginning at 5 years have them professionally inspected. They are aware that they can not answer the question over the phone or internet.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with darsben. I also have 2010 tires and can answer every question along with less than 40,000 miles. I had the tire installed and parked on concrete that drains well. Maybe next spring for me.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53