cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toad is getting abused

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Newmar Baystar which is towing our little (wife's) Fiat. Poor thing is getting beat by rocks,dirt,mud, grime etc. I am looking for a Rock Shield or something that will go under the rear portion of the motorhome and somewhat protect the little toad.

Would like a Newmar product if available but any thing would be better than nothing.

Any suggestions???
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
37 REPLIES 37

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP: Do you have mud flaps behind each tire? That's all we had on our motorhome (nothing across the rear) and we didn't get any damage on our Jeep in 8 years of travel, including gravel roads and Alaska.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
This thread is surprising because of the number of posts recognizing that the full width "mud flap" can be part of the problem as I've posted in the past.

Let's get real - the full width "mud flap" is of course a public relations and marketing device with very little if anything to do with rock protection.

If it has at least a 5" clearance then it's likely not a factor related to toad rock protection.

The Roadmaster product is probably OK if it protects the radiator. My CRV radiator extends below my Roadmaster tow bar so it's a less effective device. The Protect A Tow shield is mounted below the tow bar and is my choice.

And the vertical rock shields can bounce a rock forward into the paint or rear radiator.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Are you off-roading with your rig???

Moisheh

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, but I have a National Tradewinds with the stock full size mudflap and have never had a problem in 5 years and 20+K miles of towing.
The only abuse I get back there is from towing a Jeep which has a narrower wheelbase then the freeway ruts and it tends to wag the MH. Didn't have that trouble with the Trailblazer.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
TANDDANDBIGE wrote:
Protect-a-tow works well for our Ford Edge. And as mentioned, the $$ isn't going to break the bank.

It appears to be a set of devices to attach the cover to the tow bar. Does the kit include the protective shield?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many devices to protect the towed I will address.
Some motor homes come with a full width mud flap, Or a Brush type full width mud flap.

Hoover makes a vacuum that "Beats as it Sweeps as it Cleans" the beater bar is supposed to make dirt jump up out of the carpet, as are the brushes and those full width mud flaps and brushes..... Do precisely the same thing

There is a plastic shield that mounts on the tow bar, Some folks swear by it.

I used (And will again when I finally install it) a "RV underskirt" now I understand it's sold under a different name now, But I'll describe it

It is a heavy Mesh fabric thing that stretches between the RV and the Towed, dirt and debris kicked up by the RV hits it and bounces back down So the "Shiny side" stays shiny and the dirty side dirtier, but that under the car.

it works well.. I can not testify as to the plastic rock guards for I've never used one.. But others seem to like 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a Jeep Liberty behind my Country Coach for 12 years...never had rock chip one. They have to hang "right" or they will definitely drag up rocks

As already mentioned you also have to have mudflaps behind the tires
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

db7512
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a bra from the Fiat dealer for our 500.
2016 Newmar Ventana
2016 Ford Edge

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I took my rear flap off and it made all the difference in the world. Mine was actually touching ground because the previous owner installed a motorcycle lift that required some additional room back there. I do have mudflaps behind the rear axle.

My Jeep still gets dusty, but I'm not picking rocks out if the hood seams and winch now that the rear flap is removed.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

llr
Explorer
Explorer
I had the brush type flap at the back of my class A and didn't see any issue with the toads

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with those that suggest a test like mentioned by WildmanBaker. Bungee that full width mud flap up out of the way, or just remove it.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with our toad. I bought a Blue Ox KarGard BX88255. Easy to use and it really helps. Cheapest place I could find it was on Jet.com.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
As Jerry mentioned, it probably your full width mud flap. I know, your proud of your new MH, but try pulling it up to the MH, to the rear, and bungee cording it in this position for a test tow. Flaps behind the rear wheels work better and are a federal mandate.
Wildmanbaker

dtucker3usa
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Roadmaster rock guard. No trouble with a beat up toad yet.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for the Protect-A-Tow. We've used ours with two different toads and we've been very pleased with the protection. As said, it's easy to keep it stowed under the rear bumper, making hooking it up a really simple one minute process.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate