cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tornado damage to campground

pusherpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a campground on the news this a/m that was destroyed by a tornado in Oklahoma. Anyone know which one it was?
Ron
24 REPLIES 24

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe 40+ years ago I was in a camp ground NE of OKC and although it didn't take a direct hit mine was the only one still on its wheels the nexr morning. I had been moved about 100 feet from where I was parked....don't remember anyone hurt but it was a mess.

paintedtugboat
Explorer
Explorer
When checking in I always ask where in the park is their storm shelter. Usually it's the shower/bathroom building. Sometimes it is a meeting building or laundry building. It is always good to know where one of those buildings is in relation to your camp site.

Travel safe.
Bob and Joan Alexander
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH (Phaeth)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport (Hope)
Lobo & Juniper
Full-timers since 2014

http://www.phaethtofulltime.com/

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Where in the NW? If you are going to Wa state go all the way up I 25 to I 90 west. You will still go higher than Abq which is 5000 ft. Raton is 7500.

MrWizard
Problem is when you are driving/RV'ing thru uncharted territory you do NOT know what county you are in!

IDK about that...seems to me its a matter of observation
most highways have signs marking county lines and the name of the county
even on interstates
of course you have to be reading the signs, instead of marking time watching the GPS
when we did our big cross country trip in 2012, i saw many "County" name signs

that doesn't mean i always see them, but it does mean , i know to watch for them
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow Catcher wrote:
A few year back we were in a camp ground in the middle of Ohio when tornado sirens went off, the problem,

where in the county?

I bought a Recom weather warn radio.

This was an eye opener for me when I hit the road traveling into states I did know and realized just how 'important' it would be to know what county I was driving in.

The weather reports will tell you what "county" has the warning alerts.

Problem is when you are driving/RV'ing thru uncharted territory you do NOT know what county you are in!

The day the alert came over that there was a tornado touching down ON an interstate in such and such county and I did NOT know what county I was driving thru changed my life!

After I immediately pulled off and hoped for the best, was the same day I printed out a "county" map of each state I was going to drive thru and taped it below the radio.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I just read that in another Oklahoma tornado last night, a woman died in the below-the-ground storm shelter by drowning from the heavy rains. Awful.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did note on the news that there was various hail damage around the area. If anyone is looking for another toad, and you don't mind a little hail damage, this may be your chance to make a great deal.
On one of our trips I purchased a hail damaged Chevy HHR from Enterprise Rental cars. It had a sticker of almost $25,000, was less than one year old, had less than 10,000 miles, still had the factory warranty, and the hail damage was so slight that most people do not notice it. My total cost was $8500, out the door.
We had the tow bracket installed at an RV dealer in town, sold our Saturn to a dealer, and were on our way with a different toad.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Boxer Lovers wrote:
Any RV parks that have Safe Rooms to accommodate their guests AND their pets?

After my near death experience with a tornado/RV/CG. Which had NO place to take shelter. ๐Ÿ˜ž

BEFORE I check into any CG, I now ALWAYS ask at the desk where their storm shelter is.

The key is to find and stay at CG's that have shower facilities, which usually provides a separate building made of concrete.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Usually the safest place is a concrete block restroom - not a big rec center made of frame.

Definitely know what county you are in when listening to the weather radio.

We always kept a 'to go' bag ready to grab - radio, flashlight, valuables, water, snacks and a couple small camp chairs.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
A few year back we were in a camp ground in the middle of Ohio when tornado sirens went off, the problem, where in the county? I bought a Recom weather warn radio.

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Any RV parks that have Safe Rooms to accommodate their guests AND their pets?
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
If bad weather is not a consideration I agree on Hwy 54. We did it last year on December 2 and it was a great drive and sure saved miles going from Wisconsin west. We stayed in Liberal Kansas. Not much for campgrounds along the way.

Dennis M M wrote:
dxm393 wrote:
Ok so we stopped by Albuquerque traveling east . We were to stay at the roadrunner rv park on Saturday and, In light of the weather, which is to continue through the weekend we want to reroute. We are traveling in a 32' Class A. Possibly heading northwest from here. Any roads to avoid? Oh and my husband is on oxygen so we want to avoid high elevations.

Never went that way, but I would try US 54 from Tucumcari to Wichita if you are headed NE. Keep your weather radio on as tree is severe weather predicted all through that area.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
OK revising my advice 5:35 PM CDT: just watched the forecast for Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska - severe thunderstorms and potential tornados through Saturday. Stay put where you are in Albuquerque!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
dxm393 wrote:
Ok so we stopped by Albuquerque traveling east . We were to stay at the roadrunner rv park on Saturday and, In light of the weather, which is to continue through the weekend we want to reroute. We are traveling in a 32' Class A. Possibly heading northwest from here. Any roads to avoid? Oh and my husband is on oxygen so we want to avoid high elevations.

Never went that way, but I would try US 54 from Tucumcari to Wichita if you are headed NE. Keep your weather radio on as tree is severe weather predicted all through that area.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure