cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow bar base plate

bsport
Explorer
Explorer
Will a tow bar base plate from a 2005 jeep Rubicon fit a 2015 jeep Cherokee? And is camping world a good place to have the work done?

Thanks' BOB
11 REPLIES 11

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the dealer install my baseplate and lights so it was ready to go when I picked it up. The total cost to me was $100.00
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
bsport wrote:
Will a tow bar base plate from a 2005 jeep Rubicon fit a 2015 jeep Cherokee? And is camping world a good place to have the work done?

Thanks' BOB

97-'06 is a TJ
07-present is a JK.

i would NOT expect TJ base plates to fit a JK.

beginning w/ 2012 the JK frame extensions changed every so slightly (slight modification/trimming) needs to be performed so that earlier (JK) base plates will fit.

beginning in 2012 to present there is also a vac pump mounted on the frame extensions (behind the bumper) that needs to be relocated (not a difficult job).
A 2015 Jeep Cherokee is NOT a JK. Totally different vehicle and platform.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
bsport wrote:

Thanks' BOB

97-'06 is a TJ
07-present is a JK.

i would NOT expect TJ base plates to fit a JK.

beginning w/ 2012 the JK frame extensions changed every so slightly (slight modification/trimming) needs to be performed so that earlier (JK) base plates will fit.

beginning in 2012 to present there is also a vac pump mounted on the frame extensions (behind the bumper) that needs to be relocated (not a difficult job).
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Gator48
Explorer
Explorer
Bsport
If you haven't already ordered your Cherokee, be sure you are ordering the correct 4WD transfer case option. For flat towing you will need the Active Drive II option.

Your current baseplate will not fit. The installation isn't real hard if you are a DIY'er. It does require removing the entire front facia but it is mostly held on with clips and small screws. The Blue Ox instructions are great. Be sure to get the diode wiring kit for the lights. Search the site here as I have posted the correct wire colors inside the driver side door sill for adding the diodes. There is a lot of time needed for the installation thus lots of labor costs to have it all done.

Good luck with your Cherokee. Its like a 2 minute hookup when it's done!

bsport
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all info will be checking numbers, and skip camping for that job. Will be getting the new auto in 6 weeks , will check around for hitch installers.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
No, there is no chance that it will fit.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
bsport wrote:

Question 1: Will it fit: Not enough information

Go to the Blue-OX website or to the tow system maker web site..Enter the vehicle info for the Rubicon and take a note.. Then enter the info for the Cherokee and compare.. Same model number you are in luck.

My suspusicion... You stand a better than 50% chance

As to the Second Question.. Camping world.
That would NOT be my first choice.. Young technicians they tend to underpay make too many mistakes.

I went to a hitch store... (Several different hitch stors) All they do is hitch work.. Both ends.. I have checked their work.. Much better than the RV-Dealr that did my first car.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it is the proper baseplate and installed by professionals. Don't let your Toad become a hazard for others on the highway while you try to save a few $$.

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
I would think it's highly unlikely since the wrangler has frame rails and the cherokee doesn't.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
bsinmich wrote:
Why not check with the manufacturer of your base plate. Check the numbers on line and find out for sure.

Ditto, your best choice for accurate information.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Why not check with the manufacturer of your base plate. Check the numbers on line and find out for sure.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford