cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a rear-wheel drive vehicle

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a car dolly, but I also have a rear-wheel drive vehicle. The two options that I can think of are to remove the driveshaft or tow it backwards. I'm leaning towards towing it backwards to save the trouble of reconnecting the driveshaft if i want to drive someplace, but I'd like to get some opinions. I'm mainly going to need the vehicle when I get to my destination, but there could be the off-chance that I would want to drive it at a stop along the way.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom

(a man with a theory is at a disadvantage of a man with an experience)
33 REPLIES 33

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
Towing backwards on a dolly creates three point of articulation. First is the tow ball, the second is the dolly wheels and the third is the car steering wheels. In an emergency stop this can allow jack knifing to occurs more quickly. I have seen fifth wheels towing boats and the boat will whip the fifth wheel around to the side of the truck before it rolls. Happen once in CO and there was boat, fifth wheel and truck scatted for a half a mile down the freeway.Maybe rare but it does happen. I chose not to do it.

Just because some do it and never have a problem does not mean it is safe.

you lock the steering :S
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT install supplemental braking on the CAR when towing on a dolly!
Yes, having brakes on the DOLLY is an excellent idea, but you do NOT want to have the brakes on the CAR locking up and ripping it off the dolly!
No matter whether the car is on the dolly frontwards or backwards, DO NOT have braking on the CAR!!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, there is a lot of BS on here. Since you are pulling with a 92 Brave I do agree with the concerns about braking and if you were doing this with a PU I'd say NO WAY. Yes towing it backwards is not as stable but with a MH, supplemental braking on the car, and using the seat belt to secure the steering wheel I'd do it. While not the same, click on "How I tow" below.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Towing backwards on a dolly creates three point of articulation. First is the tow ball, the second is the dolly wheels and the third is the car steering wheels. In an emergency stop this can allow jack knifing to occurs more quickly. I have seen fifth wheels towing boats and the boat will whip the fifth wheel around to the side of the truck before it rolls. Happen once in CO and there was boat, fifth wheel and truck scatted for a half a mile down the freeway.Maybe rare but it does happen. I chose not to do it.

Just because some do it and never have a problem does not mean it is safe.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some do tow backwards but if you do this you need to secure the steerging wheel do not trust the interlock pin as it's not strong enough.

Remco sells, or rather sold, a device called a Drive Shaft Disconnect. This is a major install but simple operation it is what is called a spline clutch, You can see a demonstrator at most Camping World stores.

Put one of those on , Sell the dolly on E_bay or Craig's list and tow 4 down.

Advantage this device: Some idiot jumps in and turns the key (He knows you need to have key in to tow) and puts the pedal to the metal and goes no place but jail.. WHy, no power to the wheels when the disconnect is active (Disconnected).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Like Daveinet put out there, pulling with the engine in the rear sets you up for a bit more sway than with the engine right over the dolly tires. Like I said before, I have done it on a few occasions, but never more than a couple hundred miles. The directional tires are for improved grip performance in the forward direction, they aren't going to cause you much trouble towed backwards. People still do drive in reverse with them. Our Mini had directional tires on it.

You stated in your OP that this was mostly to get the truck to your final destination but you may want to use it along the way. If you have the proper socket, it really isn't THAT big of a deal to just plain disconnect the driveshaft and just reconnect it as needed. Maybe 5 min or so.

If you really don't want to do that, tow it in reverse. Keep a solid eye on it for a few hundred miles to check for too much sway and get a feel for the limits. It's probably not going to push your coach around but I wouldn't want too much stress on the front suspension from sway.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I've never tried it, but the front end alignment is designed to go forward. It's possible that the front tires will be always trying to turn to the side like what happens when you back up a car hooked up to a tow bar.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
When the tow dolly manufacturers say do not tow backwards, that is enough for me. I do believe they know a little more about it than the average guy.

A very good point.
Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't.
This time, I don't. I have seen it done many times, with no trouble. IMO, that is one of the warnings required by the legal staff, in an effort to avoid lawsuits! "Well, you can't blame US, we told you not to do that!"
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
dons2346 wrote:
When the tow dolly manufacturers say do not tow backwards, that is enough for me. I do believe they know a little more about it than the average guy.

Sometimes manufacturers say stuff like that only because they have not tried it.

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input thus far. It's a '03 Infiniti Q45. Slightly less than 2 tons. It's only a 1-time toad, so I think I'll shy away from the quick disconnect.

Keep the inputs and opinions coming.

Tom

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
1BryNelson wrote:
I tow a Ford Ranger 2wd V6 backwards on a dolly. Pulled that thing all over with no problems.
What did you use for brakes?
IRV2

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a Ford Ranger 2wd V6 backwards on a dolly. Pulled that thing all over with no problems. Use Toyo tires which the dealer called and Toyo said no problem towing backwards.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

Patrol_65
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect to find out if there is a disconnect for your vehicle.
Nathan and Linda
KF4GYL
2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U Ford Triton V10 F53 Banks Power Pack

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
It would help us to know what car or truck you are trying to tow !!!!!
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar