cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with Class A diesel pusher

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
So I recently aquired a 1999 - 40' Holiday Rambler and Im currently using to tow my 32' race car trailer (10-11k lbs) to the track. Does great and I may be expecting to much out of the 78' ride but it has a little sway to her when trucks go by and worse around 65-70mph. I did recently replace all 10 rear suspension bushings, due to panhard bar bushing being gone. I also had an alignment just before the bushings. The hitch has load leveler bars but not with the sway control. Pervious tow vehicle Crew cab dually needed nothing for sway and was great. With the dually the trailer tounge was a little lower then with motorhome (level). I did try to put a little more tounge weight with the MH moving a 1000lbs golf cart up about 2 feet, and a 2500lbs car about 18" forward. It really didn't change the sway feeling. The chassis is an 8 airbag suspension.

just looking for suggestion on what to make it better... thinking
shocks?
installing aftermarket swaybars?
adding a sway control to current hitch?

if you have a suggestion, please include brands and why.
thanks in advance.
39 REPLIES 39

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a fab shop and had support braces welded to hitch to support.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you checked the hitch itself. It's only rated at 10,000#. Make sure it's sound with no cracks in any of the welds. Is it a bolt on or welded?..just thinking out loud..then again, maybe your just too long. With the size of the coach AND the trailer, that's a lot of solid side for the wind to push....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
new tires... Tire shop had them at 110. I tried there, and let down to 100 with no real change

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
What about air pressure in tires of mh ?

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
When using the dually the front of trailer is lower the the rear, with motorhome the trailer is perfectly level front to rear.

Slojoe72
Explorer
Explorer
I hook the trailer to the dually same load .... Tows fine.... 0 sway. Same trailer, load, position inside trailer everything same with no problems. Only difference with the dually is the tongue is a little lower due to the ride height diff of the 2 vehicles. I can't lower the hitch any more on the MH to match the dually.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
So many variables. Trailer axle alignment. I think sway bars help a lot. Tire pressure. Is the trailer perfectly level. I agree with increasing the tongue weight but is it 10% of the towed weight?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
At 78 feet you're illegal in all states, except south dakota. You're looking at some steep fines and towing fees. Might be just too long. You'll never remove all sway. It's just physics. But, start with rear track bar.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
did you think of maybe towing the trailer empty and see how it goes? may be you just have a bad towing trailer.
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Jamboree89
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is to also replace the 10 bushings in the front suspension. Then weigh the rig with trailer and make sure you have enough weight on the front axle. I think the aftermarket sway bars would be a waste of money.
1998 Monaco Dynasty
Scion Xb
Collin and Alfie the dogs