cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPMS in Class A Motorhomes

chasfenwick
Explorer
Explorer
I think every Class A motorhome should have a TPMS. All motorhomes, for that matter. From my reading, it seems that no model of motorhome comes with TPMS from the factory. True? Do many of you folks add this feature to your RV?

It seems bizarre to me that U.S. govt requires this feature in garden variety SUVs but not motorhomes. I've had it in the last 2 SUV's I've bought, finding that it adds meaningfully to peace of mind.

There must be some logical explanation for this. Or is there?

I installed the TireSafeGuard system in my Class C, but the best I have been able to do thus far is get 4 out of 6 tires to be free of air leaking, due to faulty valve stem extensions and the seals to the TPMS sensors. At least, one gets a rapid and accurate indication that the leaking is occurring!
24 REPLIES 24

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with TPMS. It is a great tool, when used properly. A Government mandate? No Thanks!
We've enough of that already.

The Government mandate on vehicles under 10k was to protect tire companies and insurers. Any safety that resulted to the consumer was a by product, not a goal.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
That newer system makes more sense as it solves the external remote sensor leak issue.

I do not have a system now, but being full time when I see a coach owner with them I ask. The 15 or so I have talked to are a mixed bag from greatest thing ever to waste of money. I have also wondered, as these systems are user installed, were the sensors installed properly?
What surprises me that my 07 HR has abs and traction control.
My mini cooper's low tire sensor is fed from the wheel sensors that also tells the traction control when to kick in. Ie each tire should be spinning at the same r.p.m., When running in a strait line. Corners don't count as every wheel would be turning at a different speed so the system waits for the straight line to evaluate.
When I had trouble with my mini low tire sensor warning and took it in for service I asked the tech how does car know it has a low tire?
He explained that the wheel spin sensor detects a low tire by
the increase in speed a low tire will turn as opposed to the other three.
All done in milliseconds by the cars computer.

My long rant leads to...if I have the sensors for traction control why would low tire sensors be such a leap? I know we have engineers and techies here who might be of help.

Could be the dual rears makes this impossible.

Thoughts?
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a FYI...Truck System Technologies, TST now offers a setup with INSIDE the tire sensors with a 7 year battery lifespan.....Dennis

TST System 507 INTERNAL Sensors
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

chasfenwick
Explorer
Explorer
Before I de-activated my system, to ponder and re-group, two of the six tires had leaks. One appeared to be due to a valve stem extender and the other appeared to be due with some sealing problem with the TPMS sensor itself. One of these days I'll take another run at it, and possibly experiment with the use of a sealant. Has anyone had luck with that?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Puttin wrote:
Just curious, did anybody who had a "slow leak" ever find out what caused them? I'm asking the people who own TPMS's.

Had 3 slow leaks in the past 2 years, thought 2 were TPMS, turns out that was fine. It was the valve extenders that were the actual problem. Have not had my TST TPMS ever leak.
2013 ACE 29.2

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, did anybody who had a "slow leak" ever find out what caused them? I'm asking the people who own TPMS's.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
SeaDog/BRR wrote:
What happened to pre trip inspection and checking your tire pressure during and after your travel? It would seem to me this system is designed for drivers that don't do the proper maintenance or pre trip checks.

There is a large number of RV owners who do not check their tire pressure until the TPMS sends an alert. If they have long tire valve extensions, like on rear duals, the temperature warning is almost useless. I asked one owner what he had his TPMS set for and he told me that once the pressure drops 10% below his minimum, it will send a warning. That means that he may be driving many miles with the tire pressure below the minimum pressure needed for his load, which is not good for that tire but is also now overloading his other dual tire that has to pick up the additional load.
Checking tire pressure is a hassle for those that want to make it a hassle. For me it takes a few minutes. I know that when leaving an RV park in the morning I very very seldom see anyone checking their tire pressure.

Interesting.

I'd like to add, that a pre-trip inspection of the tire pressure of all tires can be done from inside the coach simply by checking the TPMS. No need to go out and "thump" the tires, or checking each tire with a pressure gauge..it can all be done inside.

I do agree however, that all tires should be physically and visually checked prior to each travel day for any deformation, cracks, or other types of tires problems that a TPMS is of no help. Very important!

As for the 10% pressure loss.....at least the driver would be notified that he did indeed have a low pressure situation that would alert him to pull over and determine the problem way before the tire could heat up and blow causing untold hundreds or even thousands of $$ worth of damage that would have happened if he didn't have the TPMS to warn him.

For those of you who are dead set against a TPMS, you really need to sit back and think about it. Don't be so stubborn and too old school to accept the fact that a TPMS does provide an additional level of safety for you. The cost of a TPMS is usually cheaper than the cost of a new 22.5 tire.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
Me thinks perhaps a few of the previous post have a very definite mind sent against use of TPMS on their rigs. And they certainly have cherry picked a few "facts" to reinforce their preconceived notion. As someone who has used a system for over 5 years with zero problems I guess I have just been extraordinarily lucky. Me and many thousands of other users over many years.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
So you want to require the factory to give us something with a 30% failure rate based on your experience?

Not the kind of peace of mind I'm looking for. I have used TST on previous rigs and had leaks also. I don't use them any longer.

I would accept an OEM quality internal system.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would love to use the Tire Trakker system I bought but it constantly faults like the boy who cried wolf............. I have given up having it on while driving and there it sits.

I do check my tires and wish I had a pressure(system that worked for me. We had Pressure Pro previously and it did work form many years, I bought newer, "better" technology. Right. 😞

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe there have been three recent bus fires from blown tires. A tire that just blows out from hitting something or from age does not catch on fire but a tire that's low on pressure and overheats and then blows may catch on fire.

I do not need the GOV to decide everything for me. I check my tire pressures every morning by just pushing a button. While my P Pro does not give me temp, I know a tire is heating up too much when the pressure goes up more than 15%. I still us my IR temp gun when I stop for lunch or fuel as I temp the brakes and wheel bearing too.

MM, I would hope for that kind of money it came with TPMS.:B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
SeaDog/BRR wrote:
........... What happened to pre trip inspection and checking your tire pressure during and after your travel? It would seem to me this system is designed for drivers that don't do the proper maintenance or pre trip checks. I would never depend on a government mandated gadget for my safety. JMHO.
I beg to differ - all the pre-trip prep in the World will not prevent a slow leak that develops once under way or an overheated bearing. THAT is what a TPMS buys you.
No system is going to warn you of a blowout, unless it is the result of a slow leak, in which case you DO get a warning.
I run a TST system and it has alerted me twice, avoiding tire damage as I could react before the tire was flat.
(Pressures were all OK at the start of each of those trips)
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a TST system on my MH and Toad, works great. I feel more comfortable driving knowing status of ALL my tires.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Well, our new coach did come from the factory with a built-in TPMS. Seems to work very well.

On our previous coach, I bought the Truck Systems Technology 507 system. It was a piece of junk as it made my tires lose air. I never used my compressor as much as when those sensors were attached to my stems. I took them off and sent them free to a guy who wanted them. A big waste of $599.

After that, I checked the tires before every departure. Never had a problem doing that and I know I could have picked up something on the road to cause a flat but those TST sensors drove me nuts.

I would also like to see a TPMS as standard equipment on RV's.

MM
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins