cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling with Dogs

Ms_Vagabond
Explorer
Explorer
Had truck and 5th wheel previously. Am interested in going to a Class C, and I am wondering what people do with their dog(s) while driving. I have two Golden Retrievers. There isn't room for 2 large crates, so how do I keep them in one spot? Thanks!
Ms. Vagabond
2004 3500 Dodge Ram
2006 Excel RSE33
Golden Retriever Buddies
26 REPLIES 26

Calisdad
Explorer
Explorer
The proper 'safe' way is to have them secured n kennels.

Having said that I've installed a sliding gate behind the front seats to keep them in the back.

Don't leave home without them.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our BC dogs lay on dinette seat or in swivel chair or on floor. Our 1 yr baby will want to sleep on rear queen bed with us. During the day,camped, dogs are in a large collapsible crate under the awning. Take them out at rest stops to pee etc. and enjoy unwinding on solid ground. Make sure they have plenty of water.

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
bleeder guy wrote:
We camp with 5 to 10 Samoyed sleddogs. [edited]

OMG, that is serious fur. We had a Norwegian elkhound and one was
pretty serious shedding!

Oh yes, lots of undercoat. Its a good thing the wife spins it into yarn. You can never get it "entirely" out of the RV

When I met my wife some 23 or 24 years ago she had a Border Collie, Husky mix that adopted me. After him (and the shedding) we have moved on to Poodles. One Standard (currently on the second one) and a Poodle mix. The grooming costs more, but the dry cleaning costs less.

To remain on topic we let the dogs sleep on the floor or bunk in the back. We have a soft crate if needed in camp.

bleeder_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We camp with 5 to 10 Samoyed sleddogs. [edited]

pretty serious shedding!

Oh yes, lots of undercoat. Its a good thing the wife spins it into yarn. You can never get it "entirely" out of the RV
Beau, Ninon and "The 6 Samoyeds"

Amateur Radio "N1MJD" monitoring 146.520
2008 Damon Astoria 3772

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on mudhounds comment..."Baby Girl" OWNS the passenger seat...she has travelled over 12,000 miles with me sitting in that she...it's hers!!!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
KristinU wrote:
...So I know we're not as safety conscious as we used to be with him.

I'll join the unsafe pet owner club, ours generally rides on sofa or in barrel chair. When not napping, she will sit with her chin resting on back and watch the miles roll by.

She rides un-tethered on the boat also but does wear PFD.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
bleeder guy wrote:
We have a 29 foot "C". We camp with 5 to 10 Samoyed sleddogs. Some of the dogs are in crates on the bed platform. We sleep on the over the cab bunk. Other dogs have harnesses hooked into the seat belts. We have two slide outs that make camping better on month plus trips.

pretty serious shedding!

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
We have two labs and they just lay on the sofa, the bed in the back, under the dinette, or on the floor right behind the cab when we're driving. To contain them if we go out sightseeing, etc. they have crates that fit just perfectly on the dinette with the table down in "bed mode" but we don't put the cushions under their crates, just a rug to keep them from slipping when they get in and out.

When we had just one and a truck, he used to wear a harness seatbelt. So I know we're not as safety conscious as we used to be with him.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
Mine commands the passenger seat.
:C

God Bless

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Mine just lay on the sofa or floor.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

fordman17
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 31 foot and travel to dog shows often but we have 5 cavaliers which are the 20+ lbs and they travel in crates only,3 on the sofa strapped down,one under the dinette and one smaller one in one dinette seat.They are loose when we are parked,we all sleep in the bed together as they won't have it any other way.haha they are a bit spoiled.

bleeder_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 29 foot "C". We camp with 5 to 10 Samoyed sleddogs. Some of the dogs are in crates on the bed platform. We sleep on the over the cab bunk. Other dogs have harnesses hooked into the seat belts. We have two slide outs that make camping better on month plus trips.
Beau, Ninon and "The 6 Samoyeds"

Amateur Radio "N1MJD" monitoring 146.520
2008 Damon Astoria 3772