Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to decide the right size MH for full timer

Dcalderon
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow RVers,

My wife and I are planning a trip around our wonderful country and guess what I'm going to ask? Yeah you guessed it, what's the right size for a full timer. I've done some research and I started at a 40' diesel pusher and have trimmed it down to possibly a 34 - 37 because so many people have said getting into National parks and manuevering around could be a challenge. I know as you go smaller you start eliminating conviences. Has anyone else had this challenge? LOL. Any input would be appreceiated as we continue to search, also any input as to the quality rigs for wintertime as well would help. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Confused
30 REPLIES 30

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Winnipeg wrote:
Second, there are parks (such as Zion) that actually measure your rig, but mostly they don't.

Huh? Unless this is something new Zion doesn't measure your rig. In fact, we've never run across a park that does.

OP: There is no rule on what size RV to get to full-time. Full-timers do it in all sizes from a cargo van on up. It just depends on how much room you think you need.

Slides don't add anything but floor space and they take away from storage space. 1-1/2 baths are also wasted space, in our opinion but not so for others.

We fit into the same public parks (national, state, national forest, Corp of Engineers, county and city) with our 33' 5th wheel as we did with our 40' motorhome.

Get the RV that you will be comfortable driving and living in and you'll be set.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't hang my hat on the fact that maybe some parks will limit your size. A lot of folks don't have this issue with bigger coaches so I think it's wildly exaggerated. Buy the coach that fits your needs to live in. Because that's what you will be doing. If the off chance a few particular parks out of the tens of thousands in this country don't let you in, you can always explore by car. The odds are in your favor that you can always find accommodations. Floorplan should always be the first consideration when buying a MH. It will be your house after all. And everyone's needs are different. Hence why they make hundreds of different models of RV's. As far as space, up to you, some folks full time happily in a Class B. I would prefer 40-45' and figure the rest out, but that's me. But my decision would not be based on a few places that I might not fit.
2013 ACE 29.2

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP said "I started at a 40' diesel pusher and have trimmed it down to possibly a 34 - 37 because so many people have said getting into National parks and maneuvering around could be a challenge." My posts dealt with debunking this 34-37' idea for NPs and other public CGs which 15 years ago I made the mistake of believing. After a week of being cooped up a RV because of bad weather a bigger RV may be cheaper than a divorce. Twice the husband, on 1/2 the $$$$, in 1/10th the space comes to mind.
No, you do not need a DP for full timing, but it appears the OP started at 40' because of the many things he wanted in a rig and at that length it will be a DP.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
1968mooney wrote:
If I decided to full time, which will never happen, I would not travel in anything less than 45 ft. with 4 slides. This is just over 400 sq. ft. Anything else would be very hard to accept.

I have been happily full timing in a 40' no slide coach 18 years. Yes, full-time, no house and we move on a fairly regular basis. Love it! Don't need more floor to clean. Plenty of room for the 2 of us and the 3 cats as well!
Different strokes for different folks.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Welcome to the forums... this subject has been debated often over the 15 years I've known about this site. I made the mistake of believing those that said 36' MAX. Did not take long to realize that's not true so traded for a 40' loosing a fair amount of money. Once we went half time, size and slides were more important than the few sites we cannot get into. Again costing $$$. I built my MH bay big enough to hold a 45' although we are happy with our 42' which in Yellowstone becomes a 40'. :W I now advise buying more MH than you think you need ONE TIME...not like what I did. Many that say go short have short rigs... how do they know where I can fit a big rig and we have camped all over the country mainly staying in public CGs. USFS CG's that do not take reservations are our favorites... do not show up Friday hoping to find a site big enough, but late Sunday or Monday there are plenty of sites as the working folks have gone home. Not sure who comes up with the lengths as one of my favorite USFS CG in the Tetons says 28' max and I.can get my rig in 3 of the 12 sites. one very easily. Often the post for your payment that's in the way making it hard to get into the site. 36-38' is the largest for gas MHs BUT many have limited Cargo Carrying Capacity... for full time you need a DP.
Hmm, for fulltiming, ivylog needs a DP. Some others do, too; some others do not.
We full time in a 33 footer and we have storage space and cargo wright to spare. I think you misunderstand those of us posting about our smaller units; I make no claim about who can fit into which campsite. Nor am I advocating a smaller rig for the OP. I am instead informing the OP that some people are quite happy with smaller rigs, some are happy with larger ones and some are never happy. The OP will have to soberly evaluate their personal needs and desires and select the size and floor plan that personally suits them. Share your opinion and experience, but please do not scare those who want to travel lighter.

stickyeye
Explorer
Explorer
We don't fulltime but we have a 36 1/2 ft with three slides. The opposing front slides really open things up for a roomy feeling in a shorter rig. Part of my decision for shorter was campsite availability (especially holiday weekends in the northeast where I live), parking in my driveway and not wanting something too big for day or overnight trips. If fulltiming I would think what I have would be the minimum and would have no problem going larger. Layout and slides matter as much as length. I've been in some shorter rigs with full wall slides that felt enormous. Go to some RV shows and compare and see what feels right for you.

🙂

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
One item often over looked for FT use is the size of your tanks. Granted this may not show up the first year of FT as most make the mistake of running around the country instead of doing just one area... staying in one site for several weeks. If boondocking you will run out of water requiring transporting more or moving the rig if your tanks are small.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
timmac wrote:
Some have done fine with 40 footers in some National Parks, however full timing you want room, I have a 33 foot with 2 slides its roomy and does get around easy BUT I would not like this size full time, 36 foot with 3 slides would be a nice size, not to big but big enough for 2 people full time.

I agree 40 foot is just to big in many areas.

We have never found this to be true. Of course you can't take 40' where you can a smart car.

We stay clear of the down town urban areas and the narrow dirt roads , that is why we have the jeep in tow.
I've never been told we were too big for any camp ground.

Size really depends on the people, those that spend more time in RV watching TV would be better with a 40+ footer, usually those with that size pick out larger campgrounds and such but more active people that want to get deeper into the woods, etc, would want a smaller size and the ease of driving around, I have been in some tight spots even with my 33 foot motorhome were a 40 foot would never go, also when towing your length can be 60 foot.

Going big is not always the answer for everyone and one can make 36 foot with slides work if you just humble yourself, to many Americans just want big and bigger..

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forums... this subject has been debated often over the 15 years I've known about this site. I made the mistake of believing those that said 36' MAX. Did not take long to realize that's not true so traded for a 40' loosing a fair amount of money. Once we went half time, size and slides were more important than the few sites we cannot get into. Again costing $$$. I built my MH bay big enough to hold a 45' although we are happy with our 42' which in Yellowstone becomes a 40'. :W I now advise buying more MH than you think you need ONE TIME...not like what I did. Many that say go short have short rigs... how do they know where I can fit a big rig and we have camped all over the country mainly staying in public CGs. USFS CG's that do not take reservations are our favorites... do not show up Friday hoping to find a site big enough, but late Sunday or Monday there are plenty of sites as the working folks have gone home. Not sure who comes up with the lengths as one of my favorite USFS CG in the Tetons says 28' max and I.can get my rig in 3 of the 12 sites. one very easily. Often the post for your payment that's in the way making it hard to get into the site. 36-38' is the largest for gas MHs BUT many have limited Cargo Carrying Capacity... for full time you need a DP.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
We full time in a 34' Tiffin, no sweat. At the risk of sounding trendy we're minimalists--at 68 years of age we're done with "stuff"--we own what we need and no more, we have considerable unused storage space in our coach. If we wanted meaningfully (to us) more room we'd live in a house or apartment. As we get older and perhaps less able bodied more room might become meaningful but not now.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
If I decided to full time, which will never happen, I would not travel in anything less than 45 ft. with 4 slides. This is just over 400 sq. ft. Anything else would be very hard to accept.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Our 35' gasser is great for DW and myself and our two canines. But we are not full timers. If I were, I would definitely go with a DP for a bunch of reasons. The biggest disadvantage to the DP is purchase price.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
We also full time in a 33 foot class a gasser with two slides. It is enough space for us and the stuff we carry. We still have a bit of extra storage space. We like our floor plan; it has enough space where we need it. Many full timer have larger rigs than ours...some have smaller ones. Only you can decide how big you need.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We have been full timing in a 33' Class A with 2 slides for 7 years with no problems. Remember the bigger the RV the more stuff you will take with you. Is that really necessary? We also like Corps of Engineers and State Parks and like the turning radius of our short RV.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi