cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unscientific Opinion Poll

RetiredNavy
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed a large number of RVers who pull into a campground and immediately hook up their sewer line and open the black dump valve and leave it open for weeks at a time. I have been RVing for 15 years and when I bought my first rig, I was told to wait until my black tank was 2/3 full before dumping. Leaving the dump valve open lets the water and liquid go out, but the solid waste tends to build up in the tank. I don't need to describe the potential problems. Plus using the gray tank AFTER dumping the black tank helps to flush out the sewer line. Has the logic for this changed over the years? You can POSSIBLY leave the gray tank open (it is just soapy water usually) but NEVER, NEVER leave the black tank open. Is that still a good rule to follow?
Thanks in advance.
Terry & Nancy
Retired Navy

2016 Coachmen Concord
300DS Class C Motor Home
27 REPLIES 27

pkick
Explorer
Explorer
Ancient wise man said: No number two on the bus. Makes clean up a lot easier.

Heard stories that leaving the black open all of the time will cause certain materials to solidify and require a professional tank cleaning.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
How do you know they leave it open for weeks at a time?

When we arrive at a full hook up site, our tanks are usually full. So we hook up and dump as we set up. Some time later that night we will close the valves but it could be in the dark by then. Maybe you missed it.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
I've never noticed or even tried to notice what holding tank other campers have open or closed..
I haven't quite figured that one out either. Seems like you'd have to get pretty close to see if any valve is open. Oh well!

OP did say 'immediately' so in his defense I guess he's watching them set up, which may not be all that difficult to see someone pulling a valve.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
I generally don't even hook up my sewer line until I've been there a few days. Water and elec I hook up right away if available, but the tanks are good for a couple three days even when we aren't being conservative. After a hard day towing, one must minimize setup and maximize relaxation. This means strain yourself a little setting up the zero gravity chairs and opening a beer or two or.... Sewer can wait. By the way, I'm only familiar with the term "Poop pyramid" through campfire horror stories, and later in life the internet forums so I can only vouch for the method I use as working.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Is there something wrong with me...?
I've never noticed or even tried to notice what holding tank other campers have open or closed...Never spent much time looking at dump valve handles....

But, I don't open either valve and sometimes don't even hook up the hose until a tank is well over half full.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless everyone has diarrhea, yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
How do you know it's their black tank drain valve vs grey tank drain valve ?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know where you've seen it all those times, I've never seen it, but then I don't watch EVERONE hook up.
I never open the valve till I'm ready to dump.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

RetiredNavy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mobilebasset. You have pointed out a good reason to not even leave the gray tank open. I had not thought about that.
Terry & Nancy
Retired Navy

2016 Coachmen Concord
300DS Class C Motor Home

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
Not only won't I open the valve but will not even hook up the sewer line until I need to dump. I don't want any nasty crawly things from the septic system getting into my hoses. And if you leave the valve open they will get into your RV. If I will need to dump more than once I will leave the hose connected to the RV valve but will cap off the other end.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same here... You would think they would like to have a full waste tank to help clean out the lines when flushing the black tank...

In our smaller OFF-ROAD POPUP we don't have any of those worries haha... Only has one fresh water tank...

This is my sink water draining operations..

When one of 7 gallon container gets full I will use my portable folding two wheeled cart to haul it off and bring back some fresh water in 5-gallon water jeri-can haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Hasn't changed for me. I wait till the black tank is almost full or we are breaking camp before I will empty it. Gray tank is different.

If it's just my wife and I then I might not even hook up the hose until it's time to dump as a courtesy to those camped next to us. I will leave the gray tank open if there lots of us because there might be six or more showers a day. I will close the gray tank the day before we break camp to ensure there is plenty in there to flush out the hose after the black tank dump. I also have a black tank sani-flush to make sure things are cleaned out.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've never understood this one either.
I don't hook up the sewer line until we're ready to dump. This way I only handle it once.