cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using a tow dolly

hurricane0226
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to know how many use a tow dolly instead of using the tow bar. I have the Ford V-10, on a 36 foot coach. Looking at both options, so would like to know pro's and con's of each one. Thank you.
FCC(SW) USN Retired
Florida.
33 REPLIES 33

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Buick Enclave and it towers fine.

paintedtugboat
Explorer
Explorer
americanrascal wrote:
I have done both 4 down and dolly. I prefer the dolly and have found it easier and more flexible tow work with. I had a bad experience 4 down when the toad almost broke away totally, and I got myself crossed up once trying to back a short distance in an emergency . I like the versatility of the dolly and when I crunched the numbers it was a better value for me.

Towing four-down or with a dolly, you can NEVER BACK UP! Not even a little.
Bob and Joan Alexander
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH (Phaeth)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport (Hope)
Lobo & Juniper
Full-timers since 2014

http://www.phaethtofulltime.com/

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the same tow dolly pulled by the last three gassers we've owned and based upon the information I read on both over those years, I really don't want to do do the 4 down. I've stayed in a number of small RV parks since I bought it and have never had an issue with space. If it was more than an overnighter and we got a small spot, I disconnect and push it under the rear of the RV.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
I have done both 4 down and dolly. I prefer the dolly and have found it easier and more flexible tow work with. I had a bad experience 4 down when the toad almost broke away totally, and I got myself crossed up once trying to back a short distance in an emergency . I like the versatility of the dolly and when I crunched the numbers it was a better value for me.

hurricane0226
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on Remco. Will probably do the tow bar instead of the dolly, most everyone on here likes to tow with the bar, instead of a dolly. Thanks to all.
FCC(SW) USN Retired
Florida.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to Remco, Who makes lube pumps it (depending on the model)
is towable without modification or lube pump
Bill

paintedtugboat
Explorer
Explorer
Yes according some who list models that can be towed four-down HOWEVER, refer to your owner's manual under "Towing" and see if your particular vehicle can be.

Never ever take a car salesman's word that it can. Better to ask an RV tow shop tech since they deal with setting them up. They can also advise you on what model base plate you will need, which tow bar to purchase and what would be a good supplemental brake system to install. Know the weight of your toad and Gross Combined Vehicle Weight rating of your MH. Shop around; get prices from a couple of tow shops.
Bob and Joan Alexander
Lobo & Juniper
Full-timers since 2014

hurricane0226
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the reply's. So my next question is this. We have a buick enclave that we are looking to tow behind the Motor home. Anyone do this, or is it feasible to do it?
FCC(SW) USN Retired
Florida.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Some wide track cars can be too wide to fit on a legal dolly. Measure before you buy....

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If I would ever have to go back to a dolly I would give up RVing. I used a dolly for 10 years and 4 down for 13 so I have experience both ways.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

paintedtugboat
Explorer
Explorer
Towing four down is BY FAR the EASIEST way tow. I don't see any advantage to dolly towing unless you have access to a tow dolly for free.

A Jeep Wrangler is the easiest to be modified to tow four down which is why you see so many at campgrounds.

I have used a tow dolly and will never go back to using one.
Bob and Joan Alexander
Lobo & Juniper
Full-timers since 2014

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
A down side to the toll dolly is the curb side wheels tend to run off the road alot causing tire damage.

Roy Ken

I have never had that problem with mine and it has seen a lot of miles. It tracks perfectly behind the MH.

I tow both ways and four down is easier, but the dolly is quick also with practice. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Hurricane0226
We have done both and prefer the four down. Four down is very easy to hook up. With the dolly you have to hug the front tire to properly install the strap. Not a major problem on a nice day but real ugly in the rain and mud. If you do not get a good placement of the straps they can get eaten up and then have to be replaced. Many campgrounds do not have space for a dolly and some even charge to store one. As said the big plus of the tow dolly is that you can tow different vehicles. Good luck with your decision.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
A tow dolly is useful if you dont have a car that can be towed 4 down or have several front wheel drive cars that you might want to bring at different times. It can be much less expensive than setting a car up to tow 4 down . Its not that difficult to use but you do have a extra piece of equipment to deal with. Mostly Mine slides under my Coach and out of way.

I have Two cars i take at different times. Mine can be towed 4 down but has 200000 miles on it and is not worth setting up and my DW car is not towable 4 down. rather than lose thousands and buy a new car, a $1100 used dolly, all in, made sense for us. a A full 4 down set up new and installed inc braking system was over 3 grand.
Bill

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are two closely related advantages to a tow dolly. One you can then tow just about any car you want. Two you don't have to modify the car. There are many disadvantages as mentioned above.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT