cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

valve stem points inside on rear dual tires?

Cooncatz
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 98 Four Winds Class C in December and it has been parked since I brought it home. The snow is about gone so I wanted to check the air in the tires; but the valve stem on the rear outside tires are pointed inward and I can't see the stems on the inside tires - I assume I will have to crawl under the unit to check them.

Is this unusual - are the tires mounted incorrectly - is there a fix for this.
thanks
44 REPLIES 44

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
G7 posted while I was answering. We have wheels with ten "hand" (maybe a newborn's hand) holes and Dicor stainless simulators with ten holes over those wheels. The simulator's holes are even smaller than the ones in the wheels, so the straight-type gauge and chuck are about all that'll fit through.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES. I believe the "straight" offers advantages since it's a straight (or very close to straight) shot from the Inner Valve, out through the "hand" holes. I know this because it takes VERY little bending to get an inner tire DuallyValve to line up with those little holes and the rubber support provided in the kit.

And, I still want the valves to be metal, since you're pushing the gauge or air chuck onto the valve "from afar" and can't support the rubber valve with your hand.

The "threads" on the airless cap you pictured are NOT actually threads! You can get a plastic cap to fit onto them, but a metal extender won't screw onto them. So why there? So a clip-on air chuck can lock onto the cap.

Some of us use a piece of hose to remove a plastic cap, then screw an extender on. Reverse the process after adding air. As I said before, Good for Them. I've got enough other issues going on, to make a project out of tire checking.

You "could" use metal stems, airless caps, straight-on dual foot gauge, and make up a straight dual foot inflator extension. One that you'd put the service lane's air chuck onto. That's if theirs won't work for you. Again, I don't want those complications.

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
The aluminum front wheels on my Kodiak would not allow the angle air chuck to work so for about $10 I got a dual head straight foot style on Amazon. It allowed me access to the front and the inward facing rear valves for the last 10 years. A cheap fix and all is well.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
j-d,

do you think the straight shoe air tools offer much ease over the two 45 deg slanted shoe tool (which i have been using all along?

you may recall telling me we were blessed when the rubber valve on the inner passenger dually failed near the campground, with no damage - just a new metal valve w/ (i now understand to be) a capless extender. i appreciated your kind thought. i recently posted about a bad blowout of that very tire, though all 4 rears were showing the tread coming unglued from the inner part of tire. your thought still really holds for us and the dogs.

2 field new tire mounts kept the metal stem i described above and a rubber one. but w/ other new tires, i also have 4 new valves.like this

in lieu of going back for all metal (that i wish they had discussed while mounting}, someone mentioned in this thread about using valve extenders only when adding/checking air, a 4" extender screwed onto inner duallys just to add air sounds great.

are there long extenders that could be used like this?
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes that would work and is pretty much what truckers do. What I wanted was to be connection-independemt. It's one thing to have your own gauge. It's another to pull into a service lane and find a little brass one-sided Chuck that won't reach either rear valve.big truck wheels have USEFUL hand holes. Class C has them in name only.
Short metal stems with air-through caps would be great with the right gauge and chuck.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
working from the straight sshoe chuck idea which an rv.net member described many years back, i got an air chuck and matching guage from o'reilley's

i tried the above guage on several vehicles and found it never gave a clean read (fit straight and snug w/ no pssssssssst)

so i'll return both and would like any leads on a butter quality straight chuck, as well as opinions as to whether or not it offers any big advantage over the common dual shoe chuck where both are tilted at 45 deg

THX

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
good discussion, here.

help me see what i am missing. wouldn't a short stem on all wheels and a straight shoe chuck w/ a 45 angle shoe (for outer 2 duallys) be best system?

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ended up talking with Bill also. I had several other numbers on his business cards and he told me to write that one down too.

Told me he stands behind the kits he sells, parts and installation. Also mentioned he will provide replacement soft parts (the seals under the nuts/washers) on request for a few dollars.

When I bought our valves, Six Robblees' price was far less than the suggested retail on the packaging. Then they stated raising prices. I fear I may have contributed to that. Told many OP's here to look the model number up on the Borg site, then call 6R and place a phone order. 6R had "internet sales" but the DuallyValves weren't on it and there was no link to/from Borg. Anyhow, the more RV.net OP's ordered valves, the higher the price went...

We won't have trouble with Borg valves. The thing I like about Camping World carrying them is that they'll be visible to RVers, sold at a decent price (by RV standards...) and hopefully our community will have less problems with checking tires, and from leaking tires.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
Not sure part numbers are copyrighted.

I can't pick out the phone number. Call it and see who answers.

Its Bill from Tire supply 818-612-7080, he confirmed the ones at Camping world are the same ones that he sells on line for $120 and from his order desk said that he didn't mind that they were cheaper there,even said to use a coupon if I had it. He supports Camping world!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure part numbers are copyrighted.

I can't pick out the phone number. Call it and see who answers.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toot Mc wrote:
I was at Camping would here in Houston this morning. they now have the solid extenders for Ford & Chevy for all 4 rear wheels were 79$ this morning...!!!! I paid a lot more for mine 6 months ago on the internet.

I was at my Camping World and looked at them,they look kind of cheaply made.
I guess you get what you pay for,like the other rip off types.

They are made in CHINA.Note the Part #

Glad I got the Made in The USA Tire Man valve stems.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
This ought to be a sticky on its own. Every new owner has a problem checking tire pressure. Cheap extenders on rubber valve stems can be dangerous. Some have no tire failures using cheap extenders. Spending $200-$300 on solid metal custom formed valve stems is a one time expense on a $60K+ RV and can prevent costly damage to tires, underside of RV and possible loss of control.

Toot_Mc
Explorer
Explorer
I was at Camping would here in Houston this morning. they now have the solid extenders for Ford & Chevy for all 4 rear wheels were 79$ this morning...!!!! I paid a lot more for mine 6 months ago on the internet. I put new Michelins on my Coach House E-450 Ford and Discount tire installed the new solid stems for nothing, and they were balanced when all was done. I have put about 2000 miles on them and they are great, so very much easer to check the air because they are solid to put air hose and check the pressure. the rubber donut that fits into outside rim stabilizes the inside duel valve stem. Next I plan on putting a pressure/temp system on all my Motor home and Towd so I can have live readings on all my Tires.
Coach House 261 XL Platinum
2009 Lincoln MKX AWD
2005 Honda CRV AWD
Airforce1 towd Brake system
2011 VESPA GTV 300
US Navy 1954->62, EM-1, USS Boxer CVA-21, USS Essex CVA-9

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
CharlesinGA wrote:
Cooncatz wrote:
Is there any more information on Tire Man extenders.

http://tire-man.iwvisp.com/

I went with the Borg dually kit instead. Borg is very nice to communicate with and knowledgeable. Also has more info about their kits on the web site.

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796/dually-valve-kits

Charles

If you have a local tire shop you deal with, usually they can order and install the Borg or Tireman kits. Dick

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Cooncatz wrote:
Is there any more information on Tire Man extenders.

http://tire-man.iwvisp.com/

I went with the Borg dually kit instead. Borg is very nice to communicate with and knowledgeable. Also has more info about their kits on the web site.

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796/dually-valve-kits

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.