cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vinegar or Baking soda

RVChippys
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever used white vinegar or baking soda to clean out the grey and/or black tanks? After a busy summer of RVing we want to put it in storage with everything as clean as possible.Thanks in advance for any reply of experience.
23 REPLIES 23

cpoo
Explorer
Explorer
Use both. It will get real clean. Leave toilet lid down and valve closed.
Bob

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
don't ever plan on putting anything in that wont come out, by the valve. the grey water tank and the black WATER TANKs don't have to be that clean. but I do use the I-----c----e-- thing every now and then.now its all happy-camping

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
OP does not say what kind of coach he has, but on mine it has a sprayer on each tank and when I am going to let it set for awhile I flush them real good. Leave the water running on the sprayer until you have about 3/4 full, then dump. Do this on each tank and if you have been using a enzyme in your tanks, it will leave them like new.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
flfulltimerwinnabago wrote:
I have read on this site that using bleach for cleaning RV toilets, sinks, pipes and holding tanks will cause you to have problems down the road. seal and gasket failure, cracked holding tanks and so forth. I believe in my manual it specifically warns NOT to use bleach. I don't have a scientific explanation of why. but I know bleach and certain plastics are a no no, It breaks them down.

Bleach (and even chlorinated water) is bad for PB (polybutylene) plumbing. In fact, it's so bad that there was a class action lawsuit in the late 1990's. PB is no longer used.

But just like there are a lot of different metals with different qualities, the same is true for plastics.

If you have PB plumbing (which is usually gray or black) in your RV, don't use bleach. In fact, if you plan on keeping an RV with PB plumbing, I'd replace all the PB.

On the other hand, typical RV plumbing is PEX or ABS. RV holding tanks are typically polyethylene. None of these plastics are adversely affected by sodium hydroxide (bleach).

What about bleach and "seals" or gaskets?

There are gaskets in each holding tank valve, but these gaskets are probably Santoprene which is also bleach resistant.

However, some RV toilets use a natural rubber seal, and bleach will degrade natural rubber. So don't fill up your RV toilet with bleach and let it sit.

Otherwise, bleach-phobia is a misplaced fear for an RV.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
We too like to put the RV to bed with spotless tanks. On our way home from our last outing, we drain all tanks, fill them with a little soap and drive to the last spot. The morning we leave for home, we drain and fill them twice and then fill them about a 1/3 of the way and put a little more soap in them. We stop at the last dump station before we get home and drain them. Once home, I take the want and completely clean out anything left in the black and then we store them open. We do put little screen caps on so nothing can crawl in. Probably way over the top for most, but that is the way we have been doing it for years.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your shower drains into the black tank, then you'll have soap in it to clean/soften. It does not have to be sterile of course.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^ I would agree that you shouldn't use full strength bleach on toilets, etc, and I'm not sure why you would want to. As a fresh water tank and system sanitizer, in the recommended amounts, which are fairly minimal, it's effective, safe, inexpensive, and recommended. At least it is in my manual.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

flfulltimerwinn
Explorer
Explorer
I have read on this site that using bleach for cleaning RV toilets, sinks, pipes and holding tanks will cause you to have problems down the road. seal and gasket failure, cracked holding tanks and so forth. I believe in my manual it specifically warns NOT to use bleach. I don't have a scientific explanation of why. but I know bleach and certain plastics are a no no, It breaks them down. Good Luck and Happy travels!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
RVChippys wrote:
Has anyone ever used white vinegar or baking soda to clean out the grey and/or black tanks?

Nope, mainly because vinegar, baking soda, or hydrogen peroxide won't sanitize, but bleach will. Read this.

At room temperature only bleach will sanitize. Plus, you only need a 50ppm bleach solution (1/4 cup per 15 gal of holding tank capacity).

To sanitize like bleach but using vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, you'd have to heat the liquid to 130 degrees F and use full-strength solutions -- that's 15 gal vinegar or H2O2 per 15 gal holding tank capacity. $$$

Use bleach.
I would never use bleach in a black tank! JMHO

Because . . . ?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
RVChippys wrote:
Has anyone ever used white vinegar or baking soda to clean out the grey and/or black tanks?

Nope, mainly because vinegar, baking soda, or hydrogen peroxide won't sanitize, but bleach will. Read this.

At room temperature only bleach will sanitize. Plus, you only need a 50ppm bleach solution (1/4 cup per 15 gal of holding tank capacity).

To sanitize like bleach but using vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, you'd have to heat the liquid to 130 degrees F and use full-strength solutions -- that's 15 gal vinegar or H2O2 per 15 gal holding tank capacity. $$$

Use bleach.
I would never use bleach in a black tank! JMHO

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
RVChippys wrote:

Use bleach.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is the best answer I've seen so far.

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on Happy Camper! The best I have ever used in all 5 of my motorhomes and 3 trailers! 46 years on the road!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Camper or RV Digest they have enzymes that eats up everything inside your black tank. These 2 products are very good at cleaning your tank sensors!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I mean, what's going to happen to anything left in that tank? (Down into the hole in the ground and the septic system) so why bother.

Anything left/stuck in the tank and/or sensors will harden and it will not necessary come loose just by adding water and dumping. It will just attract more to stick to it.

And dawn, calgon, water softeners and all the mystical magical treatments for holding tanks leave a film/surfactants on sensors which is why so many people are always complaining their sensors don't work and everyone always reply that they never work anyway. ๐Ÿ˜ž

No you don't need a black tank you can eat off of, but paying attention to a few small details keeping it clean eliminates problems down the line. ALL my coaches I have owned had fully working sensors, never any sewer smells up to the day I sold them.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.