cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walk around while Class C in motion?

knowmadically
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about getting a Class C motor home. Do most of you require that your passengers stay seated and buckled up? Or do you let your passengers walk around while the vehicle is in motion? What about children or babies? Do you have them in carseats?

Just curious what the general practice is among those of you with a Class C and what your thoughts on safety are. Also, are there legal requirements?
49 REPLIES 49

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
After a friend used the bathroom in my rig while on the highway, he came out and said:"when you change lanes out here, you change lanes in there" It was pretty funny at the time. The only thing I don't allow is any one to be in the overhead bunk while traveling. (any child must be in proper seat and belted in)

knowmadically
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
dahkota wrote:
I move around for coffee, soda, etc. while moving but I wouldn't allow any passengers to do it. I know my risks and am comfortable with the changing motion. I don't trust that anyone else in the rig is so they must stay seated.

I am confused you are either a passenger or your a driver no other options that I know of. So if you do not allow passengers to do it but you do it while in motion what kind of cruise control do you have?

Definitely some fancy cruise control, right there.

rotflol

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our State does not ticket you for not buckling up. It is a secondary offense meaning you can be ticketed for not using them if you can be ticketed for another offense.

Our motorhome has seat belts and they are used when moving.

A lot depends on the road conditions. If on a smooth interstate with hardly any traffic and no entrance and exits for miles, the passenger may walk to the back and fetch some drinks or even use the restroom.

Some times, it could be safer in the bathroom versus in the passenger seat because of flying objects.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
What is that quote by Ron White? oh yeah..."you can't fix stupid". And letting anyone move around in a moving RV is the epitome of stupid. And for what? Rather than stopping because someone has to pee? What are you, the driver, going to say to the coroner or police oficer..any first repsonder..that attends and has to deal with your selfish, stupid practise? 'Man..I am sure sorry about that'....'no-one told me not to' Stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU12n1sdLx0

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI, here's a picture of a class C that rolled after being hit by another vehicle and forced off the road. After seeing this I'm reluctant to carry anybody in the back, belted in or not. Sorry the picture is so low-res, that's all I have.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
I move around for coffee, soda, etc. while moving but I wouldn't allow any passengers to do it. I know my risks and am comfortable with the changing motion. I don't trust that anyone else in the rig is so they must stay seated.

I am confused you are either a passenger or your a driver no other options that I know of. So if you do not allow passengers to do it but you do it while in motion what kind of cruise control do you have?
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
The state of Vermont, and many other states, requires that all people be seated and using seat belts. Unless there is a good reason, or I am creeping along in a traffic jam, I obey that law.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, mass transit, no seat belts back of the driver, when full you stand, get close to your stop you walk to the door, in many states people can ride in the 5th wheel, TT's no, though I do not understand why 5th wheels and not TT's.

Though I wouldn't let kids just run around and only get up if they have to, I wouldn't worry about walking around. Like someone said above use common sense, if windy, hard conditions, construction, in traffic, stay seated.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
For us, when seated buckle up. If on long, straight, noncongested highway, may let passengers change seats or quickly get something from the fridge. I usually stop often enough for myself that bathroom breaks shouldn't need to be done while in motion.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
All occupants remain belted in our MH unless they need to go to the bathroom. Our kids are getting older, now 14 and 12, so they have a little more freedom to unbuckle to get a drink or snack. When they were younger, my wife would unbuckle to get drinks and snacks.

Car seat laws apply to all motor vehicles, not just passenger cars and trucks. If your child needs a car seat in a passenger car, then need it in the motorhome too.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
When our kids were little and we traveled in my Father-in-Law's Class A, everyone was buckled in, especially the kids in their car seats. Only once in a while would an adult get up to get us drinks or get (not make) a sandwich. Now in our Class C, our kids are adults and are still required to remain buckled up when traveling. My DW gets up rarely, and when she does I make sure it is while we are on a straight stretch and not in much traffic. If I see traffic building or a construction zone, I call out to her to be seated immediately and belted. Bath room breaks are always at rest stops, gas stations, or off the side of the road, never when moving.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
An acquaintance lost control of his $5000 used class C and went down an embankment while elderly father was in the bathroom. Father was hospitalized, RV was totaled, rest of family flew home in a multi-million dollar jet airliner.

Best to use restroom when on straight interstate, better still to pull off at rest stops and take a brake every 100 or so miles.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Common sense.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
It's been over 20 years since I owned a motorhome, and I admit I personally never had any issues with folks moving around. I do have an acquaintance who's wife ended up in the emergency room after he launched her off the toilet seat when he had to perform and emergency stop because of a driver who drifted off the road, over corrected and crossed in front of him. He barely clipped the oncoming car and did little damage to the RV. The wife however broke her nose, had her dignity somewhat wounded, and still blames him to this day for telling her to just use the toilet while they were driving rather than pulling over. Personally while it isn't an option with my current setup, I'm thinking I would learn from the experiences of others and not chance the added risk of injury.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.