cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart

rsaf1947
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling I-77 south from Cleveland to Savannah, Ga. next week. Looking for a good Walmart stop, safe, and plenty of space somewhere into North Carolina before Charlotte. Anyone who has stopped at a good one let us know.

Thanks.
36 REPLIES 36

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
We use campgrounds when we camp. We stay at state, national, private and federal.

No parking lots for us.

Pogoil.

Hoot887
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at a WM once, nice, quiet, clean. Next morning DW said "the store is almost empty, I'll only be a minute." $147.00 later we were back on the road. Last overnight at WM.
Hoot

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
I-77, Exit 36, Mooresville,NC has a Cracker Barrel on the west side of the exit with RV parking spots and there is a Wal-Mart on the east side of that exit and south of the cross highway.

I have stopped in both over the years when making our many flying trips from PA to somewhere in the south. Usually just a few hours of sleep and back on the road, but try to use the restaurant or the store for meals or supplies.

Leaving this exit and heading further south is better if you do so early before the commuter traffic picks up so you can buzz right through Charlotte.

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
Few exits north of where the Charlotte exits start there is a Cracker Barrel on the right side that has 6 RV parking sites. We have stayed there and it's a nice quite parking lot. The Cracker Barrel workers are friendly and we're always had a great meal there. Check on the Cracker Barrel web site for the location.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
wny_pat wrote:

The following letter was put together by some of the most respected RV clubs out there. You might be a member of one of them. Escapees' Club, FMCA, Bounders United, Wally Byam Caravan Club, Born Free Leap'n Lyon's, Gulfstreamers, LOW, RVW, Winnebago Itasca Travelers, Travel Suites Owners, Holiday Rambler RV Club, Discovery Owners Assn., and Freightliner Chassis Owners, and others.

"Dear Fellow RVers,
Some of the most respected RV consumer clubs have joined together to support 'your right to park on private businesses parking lots'

Although I support the RV'rs Good Neighbor Code I DON'T understand where all those organizations can support 'the right to park'.
When did it became a 'right'? A 'good will' gesture on behave of a private business/organization YES but a 'right'....not by any stretch of the imagination. They lost credibility with that statement.

I agree. We don't have a RIGHT to park on private property.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
wny_pat wrote:

The following letter was put together by some of the most respected RV clubs out there. You might be a member of one of them. Escapees' Club, FMCA, Bounders United, Wally Byam Caravan Club, Born Free Leap'n Lyon's, Gulfstreamers, LOW, RVW, Winnebago Itasca Travelers, Travel Suites Owners, Holiday Rambler RV Club, Discovery Owners Assn., and Freightliner Chassis Owners, and others.

"Dear Fellow RVers,
Some of the most respected RV consumer clubs have joined together to support your right to park on private businessesโ€™ parking lots overnight under the following code of conduct:
Industry-sanctioned Code of Conduct
(RVersโ€™ Good Neighbor Policy)
1. Stay one night only!
2. Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
3. Obey posted regulations.
4. No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grills.
5. Do not use hydraulic jacks on soft surfaces (including asphalt).
6. Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
7. Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank you, when feasible.
8. Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe.

Although I support the RV'rs Good Neighbor Code I DON'T understand where all those organizations can support 'the right to park'.
When did it became a 'right'? A 'good will' gesture on behave of a private business/organization YES but a 'right'....not by any stretch of the imagination. They lost credibility with that statement.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
appd221 wrote:
Sorry to be a little off topic, but what are the rules to stopping in a Walmart or Kmart parking lot? Can one stop at any? Being new to the RV world I just started to hear about this.

Rule #1 go inside and ask permission.
Rule #2 have a cart with some stuff you are going to buy or have bought.
Rule #3 respect the people who live in that town and don't overstay your welcome.

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Is it OK to deploy your slides while staying overnight at WalMart?
Just wondering.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
USARMYCW wrote:
booty51 wrote:
I have done that before . To much kamakazi traffic across the parking lot and noise at night for me. I go find someplace quiet and secure.

Ditto

Ditto also!!!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

DutchStar38
Explorer
Explorer
A nice courtesy is to go in and ask the store manager for permission and where to park. Just don't take roots there.
Ronny & Lynda
Sammy (Brussells Griffon/Maltese mix)
TJ (Micro Teacup 2.1 lbs Poodle)
2005 Newmar DutchStar 3809 DP
2002 HarleyDavidson Ultra

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
About 1/2 way, the Wallyworld just east of the big road in Princeton, WV., exit 8, IIRC, might still allow overnights. Stayed there a couple of years back. A little noisy.

However, 12 miles north of Princeton @ Exit 20, is Camp Creek SP, about 2 miles off I-77. Mash Fork campground contains 26 trailer/tent sites, 19 sites with electrical hookup and 7 sites with water and electric hookups. Dump station. Open year-round with limited facilities from Nov. 1st thru Apr. 1st.

For FHUs, Fort Chiswell RV Campground is popular with the snowbirds. Located off I-77/81 at exit 80... 3/10 of a mile south.

As mentioned, there's a Walmart in Elkin, NC that I have shopped at, but not over-nighted. Allstays lists it as acceptable.
RVn Full-time

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. Love WalMart for camping....Do all my shopping at the campground.

(Sorry, could not resist)

Flame on!
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
appd221 wrote:
Sorry to be a little off topic, but what are the rules to stopping in a Walmart or Kmart parking lot? Can one stop at any? Being new to the RV world I just started to hear about this.

"Dear Fellow RVers,
Some of the most respected RV consumer clubs have joined together to support your right to park on private businessesโ€™ parking lots overnight under the following code of conduct:
Industry-sanctioned Code of Conduct
(RVersโ€™ Good Neighbor Policy)
1. Stay one night only!
2. Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
3. Obey posted regulations.
4. No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grills.
5. Do not use hydraulic jacks on soft surfaces (including asphalt).
6. Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
7. Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank you, when feasible.
8. Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe.

If your plans include touring the area, staying for more than one night, or necessitate conduct not within the code, please relocate to a local campground. Itโ€™s the right thing to do!

Most of the complaints lodged regarding RV parking on business parking lots have to do with aesthetics and perceived abuse of the privilege. There are a variety of competing interests that were balanced to arrive at this industry-sanctioned code of conduct. As you can see, the Code of Conduct is nothing more than an RVersโ€™ โ€œGood Neighborโ€ policy.

Not following the code has serious consequences and is detrimental to the rights of all RVers. Already, some municipalities have passed ordinances to prohibit parking on private business property overnight.
Please do not take offense to this letter; it is only provided as a reminder that RVers must be perceived as good neighbors, or there will be more pressure to institute state, county, and local ordinances to prohibit parking on private business property.

We wish you safe and happy travels,"

and the following is a quote from Walmart Corporate web page FAQ:
"Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Yahoo's Walmart Rving Group which includes updated files of every Walmart that your are allowed to park overnight at. Remember, you must always ask member of Walmart management for permission to park in their lot, as there are some Walmarts where we are not allowed by either local law or store management!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered other options for overnighting? Churches, private clubs like American Legion - Elks - Moose - or even churches? Check ahead, you'd be surprised and those parking lots are usually much more quiet.