cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washing class A motorhome

36_Paws
Explorer
Explorer
Today is our 45th day as full timers. All is well. I need to wash our motor home. I would rather wash it myself than have it washed. I feel sure there are places I could do this. Any suggestions?
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

36_Paws
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much to all who replied. 50 days tomorrow. We learn something new everyday. We have the Suwanee River out our windshield this week. What a great way to live. Thanks again to all.

SpurHntr
Explorer
Explorer
Dave T. wrote:
I just finished using Wash Wax All for the first time on my MH. I bought the "internet special" and got 4 soft cloths, one scrub sponge for bugs, one 16 oz spray bottle, and a gallon of the Wash Wax All for around $35.00. I used less than the 16 oz for my 36 footer. Spray on and wipe off. I think it looks good. Bought this stuff after a review in Motorhome Magazine.

I use WWA too, excellent product imo.
'08 Newmar Kountry Star 3916, 400ISL Cummins
'17 F250 Diesel Platty SRW Crew 6.75' bed
'17 JKU Rubicon Recon, LoD flat towable Destroyer bumper.
Blue Ox, BB, PP TPMS, Ranger EV

Dave_T_
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished using Wash Wax All for the first time on my MH. I bought the "internet special" and got 4 soft cloths, one scrub sponge for bugs, one 16 oz spray bottle, and a gallon of the Wash Wax All for around $35.00. I used less than the 16 oz for my 36 footer. Spray on and wipe off. I think it looks good. Bought this stuff after a review in Motorhome Magazine.
Dave & Vicki Tedesco
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 Escape Hybrid
Brake Buddy
Falcon Tow Bar

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
A bucket, and extension brush, some Blue Coral wash/wax, and a hose is all I need to hook up to the water pump hose bib on my coach. I pull off the highway and wash it in some parking lot or open field. Usually takes me 15-20 minutes with me washing and the DW following behind and rinsing. My fresh water tank carries more than enough water to do the coach and the toad if needed.

That doesn't work where I usually drive.
120-130F heat with 100% of sun not only is too much for our skin, but water dries under the brush.
Still doable if you are on desert after 8 PM

Early morning is when we wash the coach when temps are going to be high. There are also often tall buildings in large shopping center parking lots that can provide shade. If you look there is always a solution.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
X4 Blue Beacon. I just did mine for the first time. Not a half bad job, although some of the road grime was there when it dried. They did the jeep for another 15.

Best part is, they are open 24/7, so in Denver you have half a chance of getting in without waiting.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I wash mine myself every time that I get home. I use simple green 1 to 1 on the roof and 3 to 1 on the coach. I also use a power washer at the lowest setting and I never power wash any seams. I also use a deck brush on the roof. This is what works for me and I've been RVing since 1976.

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I know is NEVER power wash a RV or boat (other the hull) like in the picture. Silicone and gaps are not designed for that.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3 (or whatever) on Blue Beacon. I know you said you like to do it yourself but from time to time BB is a great option. Check with the campground when you check in. Some allow washing but most do not. If you just need to get the bugs off the front, most CG's will allow you to do a bucket wash and then rinse. I am not a fan of the dry wash options. I don't believe you can get real dirt off without damage when so little fluid is involved. If your coach is dusty it might be OK but I do not trust it to properly care for a nice paint job.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
A bucket, and extension brush, some Blue Coral wash/wax, and a hose is all I need to hook up to the water pump hose bib on my coach. I pull off the highway and wash it in some parking lot or open field. Usually takes me 15-20 minutes with me washing and the DW following behind and rinsing. My fresh water tank carries more than enough water to do the coach and the toad if needed.

That doesn't work where I usually drive.
120-130F heat with 100% of sun not only is too much for our skin, but water dries under the brush.
Still doable if you are on desert after 8 PM

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
And with Blue Beacon, if the toad is dirty also, just drive in with it hooked up and they'll wash both of them. We sort of did about 35 miles down a dirt road by Prescott because we missed a turn. Sure needed a wash after that.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on using truck wash for on the road service.
In CA they tend to be more expensive, but in other states it is a good value.
Than if you DIY, get one of those truck washing brushes and commercial painters pole ,that extends with click lock as those turnable locks become junk sooner than later.
Pulling my 40' conversion from storage and having garden hose at home took me about 20 minutes to wash it all. Not really detailed, but look good.
Than on the road I was able to wash front and end using 1/2 bucket of water.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I normally wash my coach myself. One day for the front cap and driver's side, next day for the rear cap and passenger's side. After knee replacement this year, I'm not yet sure what to expect but I'm hoping I'll be able to do the same. Meanwhile, last week I stopped at a Blue Beacon Truck Wash. $35 for the wash, $7 to dry it completely and another $5 to do the wheels. I provided the 303 Protectant. They would use ArmorAll for $8. They did a fantastic job. Even with a generous tip, I felt I got my money's worth. This may be in my future....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
I have not used water on the coach for years now. I only use Wash Wax All. It takes the same amount of time as washing and puts a wax finish on the coach.