cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weigh Station

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a dumb questions but I don't know the answer so here goes.......

If driving a class A MH, do you have to stop at weigh stations along the interstate or is that just for Semi's?
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
35 REPLIES 35

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I will not plan to pull in unless specifically instructed to do so.
Magilla

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Weigh Stations are for Commercial Carriers only in the State of Washington! They don't want Motorhomes or pick up trucks driving onto there scales.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
we frequent the route from houston texas to winchester virginia (i10/i59/i81) and have never triggered any signs for us to enter any scales - even if we did, we ignore all the scales.

we also make a run once a year or so houston to destin & have never encountered any directive to enter the scales - we keep on going (we're not a commercial vehicle & as such we see no need to stop at any commercial check point or scales).
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
vegasfoodguy wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:

If driving a class A MH, do you have to stop at weigh stations along the interstate or is that just for Semi's?

When entering Arizona from California on I-10, They have sensors in the pavement, I always set off the light directing me to pull in, I just ignore it.

Driving on I-10 through Mississippi the overhead signage in the weigh zone stated something similar to "Truck Please Bypass the Scales"

Been all over the country in different RVs and have never once gone into a weigh station. When towing the 32ft race car trailer I am over 70ft and its never been a problem. Once in NC near Durham I got taken back to the scales while towing the same trailer with the F-350 duelly. They checked all my paper work and sent me on down the road----don't know what they were looking for.

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
MagillaGorilla wrote:

When entering Arizona from California on I-10, They have sensors in the pavement, I always set off the light directing me to pull in, I just ignore it.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you better be careful if you ask a question on here any more. It appears it sure upsets some folks.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Folks wrote:
lanerd wrote:
If you have read some of his previous posts, you would know that on 5/1/15 he was "contemplating getting an A".

If he now has one, it is only very, very recently and hence, the question.
No need to be so critical.

Ron

Not being critical on my part, just pointing out some reading material for him. Instead of just saying "search it." I took the time to look up all the links for him.

No need to be critical of me either. :R

Dog Folks... my reply was to "Excutive"... not you. :R

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
You've been driving a Class A for many years and you're just NOW asking this question..:h:h:h

TROLL POST...Dennis

This is NOT a troll post. Ive been driving a Class A since 2007 BUT I have never driven it far enough to drive by a weigh station. We just use it to go the beach and to Patriots football games. Now that we have a newer coach we will venture out further.

Don't be so quick to judge others!!
Magilla

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I asked a state trooper (creeper cop) why they did NOT normally inspect recreational vehicles. I was told that federal law gives them the right to inspect commercial, but pulling in "citizens" without just cause is a no-no.

On the VERY rare occassion that Pennslvania pulls in recreational vehicles, it is a drive by (not a weigh-in) and they only INSPECT if they see an obvious safety violation (just cause). Kinda like a DUI check point, they can make you take the detoured route through thier inspection, but can only question you if they see a reason to.

SO drive right on by those COMMERCIAL CHECK POINTS unless there is a sign that says recreational vehicles/travel-trailers, boats, etc....

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
If you have read some of his previous posts, you would know that on 5/1/15 he was "contemplating getting an A".

Ron

Not being critical on my part, just pointing out some reading material for him. Instead of just saying "search it." I took the time to look up all the links for him.

No need to be critical of me either. :R
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the years, I've only seen a few times when RV's were included in the stop requirements, and as best I recall, those weigh stations also included either ag or immigration inspections. One such stop sometime back was when entering FL, and the non-commercial traffic was routed around the scales straight to the ag inspectors. I've passed that same ag/weigh station many times since without being required to stop.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
Some Maryland residents have posted that Maryland does requires motor homes to stop.

No, MD does not require a MH to stop at a weigh station.
2013 ACE 29.2

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
This comes up often. I did a simple search in the forum only, and got 112 "hits." Below are a few hits from just the first of the year for your reading pleasure:

Link from 4/20/15:

Link from 03/30/15

Link from 03/30/15

Link form 02/27/15

Link from 01/25/15

From the FAQ Right here.

Happy Camping
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006