cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight training while on the road?

Craig95005
Explorer
Explorer
I've been working out lately on a friend's weight training machine and would like to continue that when we hit the road in a few weeks. Anybody here have suggestions about a machine that isn't too heavy or bulky that would let me do curls, presses, and so on? And not too expensive, I'm not real serious about this.
Craig
26 REPLIES 26

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen used BowFlex machines for sale for a couple of hundred dollars and considered getting one but really don't have room to store one even when it's taken down.

I ended up getting a 40 pound set of dumbbells - the kind with removable weights. Obviously the weight is not nearly what many of us work out with for a lot of the exercises, but more reps can compensate for that to some degree.

I had left arm rotator cuff surgery last Feb and there are a number of exercises I will never be able to do again - anything that involves lifting more than a few pounds over about chest level for example - so I had a physical therapist that my doctor recommended work up a program using the dumbbells.
When we get to AZ this fall I will start that program.

When we bought a house last summer after full timing for almost 11 years we had all of our stuff that has been in storage in NH moved out here to CO. My weight machine is in the heated garage and I plan to assemble it next spring. Wanted to do it this summer but had too many other projects (plus two blood clots in my right leg) and it didn't happen.

After working out faithfully four nights a week for ten years before we started full timing I was able to coast for six years or so before my fitness degraded quite a bit. I should have gone with dumbbells several years ago.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Effy wrote:
Reminds me of an idea I had a while back for weights while travelling in the RV. I sketched up a system that you fill the weights with water when you arrive and empty them when you leave. That way no excess weight while travelling and easy to store. Never took the idea any further. I thought it was a cool concept.

It's been done. They are available.

See, I knew it was a good idea.
2013 ACE 29.2

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
The video linked below is my plan for next time we travel. With one or two kettlebells, you can work pretty much everything. I like traditional weight lifting at home, but on the road I'll try to use CrossFit / P90X / Insanity concepts using a lot of body weight and complex movements.

I have a 24 Hour Fitness Super Sport All-Club membership, but I don't plan to camp within driving distance of anywhere they've built a club. I saw one private RV Resort that had a gym, but I assumed it would be worse than most hotel gyms.

Here's the workout:
Youtube: Fully Body Kettlebell Workout

Looks sufficient to me. The killer moment is at the end when he says, "Rest one minute and repeat that circuit three more times." hahaha
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I work out regularly when in my house and near the gym, but for some reason I can't make myself do much of anything besides walk when camping. I will try to find a grassy area and do calesthenics.

One thing about CG workout rooms.. they're never busy! (or much good)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Effy wrote:
Reminds me of an idea I had a while back for weights while travelling in the RV. I sketched up a system that you fill the weights with water when you arrive and empty them when you leave. That way no excess weight while travelling and easy to store. Never took the idea any further. I thought it was a cool concept.

It's been done. They are available.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
How about equipment that weighs next to nothing? Get a yoga DVD and a yoga mat. Before you scoff, try it at home. It provides a very intense workout without a lot of heavy, expensive equipment and won't wreck your RV.

X2

The YRG or DDPYOGA program is designed to put your muscles through the paces of going to the gym, without the strain and wear on the joints. I never gave much thought to yoga before, thinking that weights were the way to go, but after giving this a shot, the weights are now gone, plus I'm now more flexible that I've ever been in my life, including my 170lb high school days.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
2013 ACE 29.2

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
We travel for months at a time and always travel with Bowflex dumbbells and a heavy set of elastic bands...Black Mountain Products brand from Amazon, and they are very good. Tough to beat multiple sets of flat and incline pushups for the chest work that you can't get with dumbbells...otherwise you can get it all done except something like a lat pulldown. For cardio we use bikes or run/hike depending upon where we are.
Hope this helps!
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This idea probably isn't quite what you are looking for, but I take two twenty five pound dumbbells with me in the motorhome when I'm snowbirding for 6 months. I can keep my arms and chest muscles in pretty good shape doing curls and butterflies with the dumbbells until I get back home to use the weight bench.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
mike brez wrote:
I do 12oz curls every time we go camping.

Maybe you should consider bumping it up to 16 oz. You don't waste as much time opening the cooler. 🙂

40 oz beats them both and you don't have to go back to the fridge as often.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I also work out and I can't imagine bringing any equipment that would work for me. We don't full time so I typically use what is available when we do travel. We just returned from 10 days in West Yellowstone and you bet there was a daily rate fitness center to use.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

bluebarry1964b
Explorer
Explorer
BobR wrote:
Resistance bands would be a good alternative to using weights. They are affordable and easily stowed when on the go. Unless you are full time traveling, to miss a week or even a month gives your body a rest. It sounds like you want conditioning and not body building so a break now and then is a good thing IMHO.

X3...you can work all of your major muscle groups using resistance bands. Simply use more bands until you can feel appropriate resistance. What exercises to do? Just think about what range of motion you're trying to get using weights, then position the bands in such a way as to get the same correct motion. You can also use your own body weight such as doing one-legged squats while grabbing a counter, table, or chair to keep your balance; one-armed push ups are brutal as well.

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy dumbbells they say you can do an entire workout with them.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Look around the park for a bunch of guys (and/or gals) that like me can't lift or do heavy stuff any more and offer to do it all. I know I could keep you working out for hours if not days :B