cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Well The Time Has Finally Come

_Sea_Of_No_Care
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving tomorrow for 6+ months and I can hardly believe it's here:). This is a dream DW and I have had for a very long time and it's coming true. DW retired early this fall then had to have shoulder surgery. The surgery was a rough one and she has had a few set backs which has ultimately set our plans back a few weeks but that's life, right?? I'm just glad she is doing better. Well I just wanted to share with everyone our excitement which I'm sure many of you have experienced just before leaving on that first big trip. Safe travels to everyone. Take care.

Dave
Dave and Gail
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
400 h.p. Cummins, Roadmaster Chassis
2006 Jeep Wrangler TOAD
18 REPLIES 18

_Sea_Of_No_Care
Explorer
Explorer
Well I would like to thank everyone for there good wishes. DW and I have had this dream for a very long time and I think we pinched ourselves at least 10 times on our drive down making sure we weren't dreaming:)

We made it into Pensacola Sunday afternoon and couldn't be happier. Left the cold and snowy weather of MI and arrived in Pensacola to 67 degrees. AAH feels good!! Had a great dinner with our DS who we haven't seen in quit a while as he graduated from boot camp on a fri afternoon and took off for A school late that night.

sdaniel; we thought about staying in the park on the base but instead decided to stay at Pensacola RV Park. Didn't want to bother DS with the task of getting us set up there, as he has enough going on staying busy in A school. Thank you for your service!!

JetAonly; We definately plan on going to the Air Museum during our stay. We are really looking forward to visiting it, we hear it's great.

frankdamp; Yes the DW had rotor cuff surgery Sept. 3rd. She had a extremely messed up shoulder with a 90% tear and some other stuff as well. She has had a really difficult and slow time recovering. She has been doing therapy for about 6 weeks when we were at home. When we get to Lakeland she will continue to do her therapy there. Thank you for your well wishes and I hope your wife gets relief from her continuing shoulder problems and gets well soon.

JRooster; We are looking forward to experiencing the beauty and the weather of the desert and am sure we will get to the Yuma area at some point.

middlefork miner; Good luck in your plans I hope everything works out for you.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Dave
Dave and Gail
2006 Jeep Wrangler TOAD

Middle_Fork_Min
Explorer
Explorer
It's reassuring to know there are so many of you out there...:C
Hopefully, I'll be able to seal the deal later this afternoon to trade the equity in my house for a MH...if all goes well, I should be heading off for Arizona next week...

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
Our dream has lasted for 10 years and we're still dreaming. Happy Trails!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats Dave! And when you head out West you will really enjoy the arid Desert sunshine of Arizona. I've all the States I've traveled to AZ. has been the best for aching bones especially during the winter. You'll enjoy Yuma, AZ. you should go thru there on your way to San Diego! I used to live in San Diego best all year around climate I ever been in.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't get out of Michigan soon enough....
Remember the FMCA free park in Cinci and then beat cheecks south.
I wish many hours of more or less boring driving and many memorable stops.
The old road are the most interesting. You don't have to drive the speed limit in Texas, but it is nice if you let the natives go by.

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything." Charles Kuralt

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

lunch_surfer
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure it matters where he is going.........long as it s safe trip he and the wife will have the time of their life. Good job OP I am a bit jealous, but I know you worked hard to get here, so God Speed and happy trails.
Thanks,
lunch surfer
Mandalay 40e
Traveling USA looking for the best bike trails and campsites.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Dave:

Was that rotator cuff ("Tommy John") surgery? It takes a long time to get full capabilities back. My wife has had it on both shoulders, about 2 years apart - 3 years since the second one - and still has some minor problems.

I hope your DW's problems will recede into the past as you embark on this adventure. Good luck to you both.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Best wishes! 2 1/2 years since my retirement and first trip. It is a great life. Pensacola has a great Air Museum, take time for that. It has great Naval Aviation History and where I started my career. Take your time and savor the moment.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun:B:B:B
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Brings back great memories of our first long trip! Been 5 years for us and we still love it! Are you staying in the famcamp in Pensacola? Your son can sponsor you there. Tell him thanks for his service from a former Marine.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and happy trails!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

hl_remington
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you have a great trip

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe he didn't tell us where they were going because he doesn't know. That's what I love about RVing. Over heard a couple answer this question: "when you leave in the morning where are you going?". The answer: "we are not sure. When we get to the interstate we'll decide whether we go left or right". I have always wanted to do just that now we can and do. Love it! (At least we still do when not visiting doctors)
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

_Sea_Of_No_Care
Explorer
Explorer
My bad, we will be heading to Pensacola, FL for a week or so to spend Thanksgiving with our son who is stationed there in the Navy. Then on down to Lakeland, FL for a month for the holidays with the in-laws in the RV section of there park and both our kids will be joining us. After the holiday we will be slowly heading west to places unknown. We have no specific plans just general ideas in mind. At some point we will be visiting family in San Diego for a few days and traveling up to Carmel for a few days to visit some good friends. We hope to stay off major hwys as much as possible and take our time bouncing from place to place. We love hiking and biking and look forward to some jeep trail riding as well. Other than that DW and I will just fly by the seat of our pants building memories.

Dave
Dave and Gail
2006 Jeep Wrangler TOAD